Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #1

So ive grown tired of things gettin wet. Lol my wife said she wanted it fixed before camping season starts. So I started tearing old stuff off. The old luggage rack is gone. The thing was held on by years of roof sealant. The ladder to gain access to the roof had pulled off the back so I pulled it off. The bathroom vent was bad so it came off as well. We dont shower so the vent is un-needed. I bought a couple rolls of aluminum and a 5 gallon bucket of all weather black jack. After most of the old sealant is gone im gonna lay a thin layer of black jack and pop rivet the aluminum down. Then cover everything in black jack. Then time to start the bathroom. New ceiling and shower walls!!!
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 AM   #2

do you think the black jack will make rv hot?
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
It might. If it does ill crank the ac.... Or coat it in white roof coating. Lol
Old 03-29-2013, 03:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Blackjack

Hi Travis, As an old roofer i can say you probably don't want to go there. In the the industry we call that stuff "bull" for a reason. It gets everywhere! There are alot of much better sheet good and rolled materials out there you can use. Some of these products come in rolls that are 8'6" wide so all you would have to do is buy it by the linial foot, lay it out, cut your holes for your penetrations, and fasten then caulk. I will go back to see if i can find you some of these resources and send them to you. And that's "no bull".
perrybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrybass View Post
Hi Travis, As an old roofer i can say you probably don't want to go there. In the the industry we call that stuff "bull" for a reason. It gets everywhere! There are alot of much better sheet good and rolled materials out there you can use. Some of these products come in rolls that are 8'6" wide so all you would have to do is buy it by the linial foot, lay it out, cut your holes for your penetrations, and fasten then caulk. I will go back to see if i can find you some of these resources and send them to you. And that's "no bull".
Ah crap..... I already bought this stuff, the only reason I got this is because its way thicker than regular black jack. Says its trowel thickness so im hoping it doesnt run. It guarantees no leaks and can be applied to wet conditions and will still bond. Ya never know in iowa what it might do. Plus ive already bought and cut the aluminum... guess I shoulda asked ya'll before... damn.......
Old 03-29-2013, 03:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
No bull

Ok Travis, If you would like to see some other options for your project you can do the following. Go to "classicwinnebagos.com", sign on as guest ( or whatever), go to forums, drop to coach, drop to sub forums, then hit exterior. There are alot of really sharp dudes on this sight and the info is not brand specific when it comes to roofing repairs so i believe it's well worth your look see. Great day!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Ok Travis, If you would like to see some other options for your project you can do the following. Go to "classicwinnebagos.com", sign on as guest ( or whatever), go to forums, drop to coach, drop to sub forums, then hit exterior. There are alot of really sharp dudes on this sight and the info is not brand specific when it comes to roofing repairs so i believe it's well worth your look see. Great day!
Thanks for the info! Ill take a look!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #8

Here's "white Black Jack" AKA elastomeric coating. I keep the black stuff for quick repairs on my sheds etc but not on the MH. Same BJ brand but not the gooey black stuff. No leaks!!

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
Plus they don't shower. That could make things pretty rank.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Plus they don't shower. That could make things pretty rank.
I said we don't use that shower. Not sure bout where u guys are but iowa has nice campgrounds. Plus 80% of the patch is shiney aluminum. Just under and seams is gonna have the black jack
Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
You might want to pick up a couple rolls of "eternabond" Tape just in case. 2" will be susufficient and as far as i know it sticks to everything but silicone. Do your seams and for sure you"ll be tight. Your raw alumium will still get hot so you may want to see if elastomeric adheres to it. Good luck and happy motoring!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130329_223304.png
Views:	104
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	35906

Got it done. Black jacked the edges, riveted it down, eternabonded the seam. Then went over the rivets with black jack. Got a new vent cap and vent for the stove hood.

Before

Name:	ForumRunner_20130329_223728.png
Views:	89
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	35907

After

Name:	ForumRunner_20130329_223759.png
Views:	100
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	35908
Old 03-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
aluminium roof

Hey fella, that's a sharp roof you got there. I do have acouple questions for future reference. How did you tie it in at the termination bars (where the roof meets walls) and also the front and back. To be honest it would have never occured to me to employ your application on an rv but i sold many a metal roof here in florida due to the durability of the product. That's thinking outside the box.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Hey fella, that's a sharp roof you got there. I do have acouple questions for future reference. How did you tie it in at the termination bars (where the roof meets walls) and also the front and back. To be honest it would have never occured to me to employ your application on an rv but i sold many a metal roof here in florida due to the durability of the product. That's thinking outside the box.
I folded the edges over the sides and pop riveted atound. Then covered them all in black jack