Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #1

Dumped The Onan

I am certain most everyone knows how expensive that Onan Generator is to fix and/or Replace.

When I started working on my old RV The Onan didn't work and appeared as though someone who knew nothing about it tried to fix it. I pulled it out and spent a couple Hundred trying to get it going to no avail.

Well I later bought a Construction generator from Menards and put on a Rack That Hung off the Rear Hitch. That worked ok but was always trying to think of a way to install it where the Onan was.

I tried to use Ratcheting straps. It only had 4 inches of ground clearance. So I quickly figured that wouldn't work. Plus i didn't trust the straps So I accepted using it off the rear bumper.

However I am Stubborn and wouldn't Let it go. So I came up with the Ideal that if I cut the Frame on the Generator, Removed the Tank I could Mount it on a 2X6 Plank and Bolt it into the Onan Position.

Then I Bought a Smaller Metal Gas Tank And mounted it in the Rear compartment.

Thought I would share with everyone and post some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_140307.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	271991   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_140256.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	271992  

Attached Images

AlfredNeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #2

Nice! Are you able to run it through the control panel inside the rig?
Tidy Tabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:51 AM   #3

I’m sorry to rain on your parade, but:

Gasoline in an enclosed compartment?

An open frame generator in a space with restricted ventilation? I expect it’s your intention to leave the doors open in operation.

I know first hand a guy who had a similar installation in his off grid cabin. Past tense because wind blew the door shut and it caught fire and burned the whole place down.

Be careful.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #4

Onan

Onan's also have spark arrestor mufflers the meet the fire rating. Do not start grass fires. No sparks.
John Lorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #5

Thank you for the response............... Hey Look I understand this isn't for everyone. But perhaps someone may get something out of it.

It is open on the bottom and all 3 of 4 sides. only the Top is enclosed. I may prop the door open but not sure and not really worried about it.

If i carry gasoline in the trunk of my car isn't that the same thing as what i did here?

I do intend on Making an exhaust pipe to direct the exhaust out the side.

Thank you for the response
Old 01-13-2020, 05:58 AM   #6

Water is really bad for generators, you need something to protect it from what is going to pour into that compartment from the duals.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #7

I did the same thing but with propane. Some said it would over heat.
I don't know how to steer you to my post but it is titled "25 yr. old Onan vs. New Portable".
Old 01-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Water is really bad for generators, you need something to protect it from what is going to pour into that compartment from the duals.

Comments are appreciated...... Ya we'll figure it out...
Old 01-14-2020, 03:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGrizz View Post
I did the same thing but with propane. Some said it would over heat.
I don't know how to steer you to my post but it is titled "25 yr. old Onan vs. New Portable".

Groovy.. I will do a search ...

Appreciate your post

Found the LINK
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/25-ye...ml#post5110518
Old 01-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Like Red Green says "If they don't find ya handsome, hope they find ya handy"

Looks like it should work.

I'm just wondering why you didn't just use the fuel line for the old genset?

You wouldn't have to worry about topping up that little tank any more.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Like Red Green says "If they don't find ya handsome, hope they find ya handy"

Looks like it should work.

I'm just wondering why you didn't just use the fuel line for the old genset?

You wouldn't have to worry about topping up that little tank any more.

Happy Glamping.
Thinking about it. The Onan had a pump on it.

I would need to come up with a pump system of some sort. The line going into this generator is no more than windshield washer fluid size. Very small. The onan line is like 3/8 Fuel line.

Honestly just haven't come up with a solid idea. That tank is steel and Holds 2 gallons probably good for 3 hours or so.

Maybe i could put a small electric pump on that old onan line and run a hose to this tank. Control it with a switch. Then I wouldn't have to take a gas can..

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. To be Continued............
Old 01-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #12

Facet makes small electric pumps, get one with only a couple of pounds of pressure and it shouldn't be too much for the needle valve. You can then get the correct hose fittings for the fuel lines.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #13

So why not either run the generator off the fuel tank line the Onan ran off of, or mount a small pickup tank in the frame rails and put a fuel neck next to the factory one?

I converted my Coach from gas to diesel and kept the Onan gas generator. For now!
I added a new 13 galllon small pickup gas tank under my coach and ran a long fill pipe to the rear of the Coach and put it's gas fill cap next to the Original fill neck that is now a diesel filler.

I fill both tanks without having to relocate the Coach at the fuel pump this way.

And BTY, I helped a Bus Nut last year install an under floor generator using 500 lb slide out brackets.
We just cut the side of the bus, under the floor and made a door and hinged it for generator access. Then added door latches to the new made door.

The generator, tank and all are hanging out in the air. Under the bus. The only thing we did was add a longer exhaust tube to run it our away from the Bus. The owner just slides the generator out to fill the tank.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:10 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Open frame generator = too much noise. Not the way to win friends at the campground, even Boondocking.

Tags
onan