Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #477

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I like the powder coat booth, I would hang the rack from the ceiling and remove the blocks though. Then use hooks (from coat hangers) and hang your stuff from it. If you could make a swivel for the rank so you could spin it around so you could get all sides of the object to be powder coated that would work great.

The vacuum clean probable makes a lot of noise, you could replace it with a bathroom fan with a hose that blows across some water to remove the powder. The vacuum clearer will not like the powder very long and get clogged up. Also be careful when removing the bag or filter, you do not want to inhale the dust.
The rack on blocks was just put in there as a quick solution to try it out. I'll be making some sort of hanging contraption once I figure out what I want. The shop vac isn't all that noisy, but I'm thinking I'll grab a filter airbox at the junkyard and hook it up with a duct type fan. Blowing across water is a good idea. Hadn't thought about that one.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #478

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Erik:
I was wondering if you were available to help me with the construction of my Tardis.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	145827  
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #479
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spinroch,

Where are you located in Rochester? I'm in Irondequoit. If yo get that Tardis up and running let me know.

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #480

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Spinroch,

Where are you located in Rochester? I'm in Irondequoit. If yo get that Tardis up and running let me know.

Glenn
I'm in the town of Brighton: I will PM you.
As for the Tardis:
Erik has to beam over and help me with the dimensional constrictor.
It is the Time Lord version of the Flux Capacitor.
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:17 AM   #481

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Old type 40 components may be a challenge to fabricate. However, if anyone can figure it out, it's most likely Erik.

Regards,
W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:01 AM   #482

I've got a Speak-n-Spell, a TRS-80 and a swamped ditched X-wing out back. Let me see what I can do.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:51 AM   #483

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I avoided this thread because of the length of posts it received. Well darn it, I got hooked. Hurry up! What's next?
Excellent job, excellent commentary. Kudo's to you sir. I have no doubt in your finishing this project. Will also look forward to the next, as obviously, Iyou are driven.
Thank you
tim.kyfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #484

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.kyfl View Post
I avoided this thread because of the length of posts it received. Well darn it, I got hooked. Hurry up! What's next?
Excellent job, excellent commentary. Kudo's to you sir. I have no doubt in your finishing this project. Will also look forward to the next, as obviously, Iyou are driven.
Thank you
Thank you for the kudos, Tim!

What's next? Well, right now I need to finish my Jeep so that I get the shop space to bring the cab in. Turned out to be a little more work than expected, but that the way it is with rust. But on the plus side it looks like the Jeep will be getting integrated rock sliders while I'm in there.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #485
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.kyfl View Post
Thank you
I love this thread because of the long posts. It allows me to watch someone else work while I sit on my can and do nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
Thank you for the kudos, Tim!

What's next? Well, right now I need to finish my Jeep so that I get the shop space to bring the cab in. Turned out to be a little more work than expected, but that the way it is with rust. But on the plus side it looks like the Jeep will be getting integrated rock sliders while I'm in there.

Some times some of the similarities are a little spooky. You certainly far distance me in the shop and the tools, but other things are .....

Yes, I also have a Jeep, and it is up on a jack (not a lift, wish I had one), for maintenance so I can get it out of the garage to start other projects.

The Jeep is a 1984 CJ-7 survivor which I do not drive in the winter

The only way it does get driven, is in the summer without the top and doors. It has replaced my Harley Softail Custom which I no longer ride.

The projects I need room for does not include bringing in an Elandan cab in for restoration but do include
1) Putting a transmission, fuel system, electrical system into the 1949 Gasser project
2) Getting the three wheeler serviced for the next racing season (it is the dragster tow vehicle).
3) Pulling the current engine in the dragster and putting the new one in (stepping up to the 7.0 index (1/4 mile in 7 seconds)).

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #486

Quote:
I love this thread because of the long posts. It allows me to watch someone else work while I sit on my can and do nothing.

Some times some of the similarities are a little spooky. You certainly far distance me in the shop and the tools, but other things are .....

Yes, I also have a Jeep, and it is up on a jack (not a lift, wish I had one), for maintenance so I can get it out of the garage to start other projects.

The Jeep is a 1984 CJ-7 survivor which I do not drive in the winter

The only way it does get driven, is in the summer without the top and doors. It has replaced my Harley Softail Custom which I no longer ride.

The projects I need room for does not include bringing in an Elandan cab in for restoration but do include
1) Putting a transmission, fuel system, electrical system into the 1949 Gasser project
2) Getting the three wheeler serviced for the next racing season (it is the dragster tow vehicle).
3) Pulling the current engine in the dragster and putting the new one in (stepping up to the 7.0 index (1/4 mile in 7 seconds)).

Glenn
Nice Jeep Glenn!

Sounds like you've got you share of projects too.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #487

So now I'm about 10 hours or so into the Jeep. For the last couple of years, I've been adding sheet metal to the rocker panel only to have them rust in other places.

I don't like doing a half-baked job when I fix stuff. I thought about just doing a new cover for the rocker and rust proofing the inside. But once I opened up the first rocker I knew that wasn't an option. The bottom of the A and B pillars were rusted inside, and there was also heavy rust on parts of the inside wall of the rocker panel. The Jeep is a unibody and the rocker panels are structural, so I just wouldn't feel right if it wasn't done correctly.

The problem with welding the sills on the Jeep is that the carpet and wire loom is on the back side of the metal which holds the rocker panel. Also, the Jeep has a nice leather interior which I don't want to damage. So the choice was between folding back the carpet and trying to protect the interior or taking out the interior. I really don't like grinding and welding in awkward positions. I had no problem with it when I was 25, but now my back just can't take it anymore. So the first thing to come off was the front and fenders.

The fenders had started to rust on the inside, so I'll be addressing that as well before it gets any worse. Right now the fenders are easy to save, but in a year or two I think I would be buying new fenders.

And then out came the interior. Removing the interior may seem like a big job, but it is actually fairly simple. The biggest problems I ran into were that two of the seat bolts were rusted in place and broke, and when I was removing the dash I had to deal with the additional wiring somebody had done to put an alarm in. When I add stuff to a vehicle, I make sure to run the wires along the existing wire loom and if the loom has connectors to separate different parts I add them for the new wiring as well. That way it's easy to do repairs to the vehicle in the future. Not so with the Jeep. The wires for the alarm went through the standard wire loom rubber for the doors, but there were no connectors where the door harness is disconnected to remove the door. Removing the doors meant having to trace the unknown wires to find out if I could cut them or just tear them out. Instead of just unbolting the whole door and disconnecting the wiring, I had to remove the door panel to cut the wires. The same for the steering column.

Nothing beats being able to get a good overview of the work to be done. That and having good access to the work being done. With the heater-A/C unit out I can also fix the blend door problem which I've been putting off for years. The blend door is what directs the air for the defroster, center vents or floor. Mine was stuck on the floor setting. I'll also be replacing a few bulbs in the dash that have been burned out for a while.

When I removed the carpet in the rear, I noticed that it was wet. Last year I repaired the tailgate where it had been leaking, and that was my first thought. As it turned out, there was a hole in the floor and when I pressure washed the car underneath the carpet got soaked. It looks like it should be a fairly easy fix.

On the other side of the trunk there was also rust, but nothing that goes through the metal. I suspect that it is due to the leak in the tailgate from before. It looks like it just needs cleaning up from the inside, but since I need to remove the rear bumper for the other fix, I'll check it from the outside as well.

The rust in the floor didn't look all that bad at the first glance. The seat bolt rusted in place and got sheared off, but it looked like surface rust.

Removing the wiring loom showed a different story. The rust came through the bottom where the spot weld seams are underneath. The buckled sound proofing is probably just as bad.

The driver's foot well had also rusted through. Another reason the carpet was always wet in the winter.

The car is not currently on the lift. One of the down sides to having a two post lift is that you can't open the doors when the car is on the lift. The lift posts are in the way. Removing the doors allow me to both put the car on the lift and work from both outside and inside. With the interior removed all I need to protect when welding and grinding is the glass and roof. Or maybe I'll remove the roof panel as well...
Old 12-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #488
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, it's winter here, expecting snow here again tonight, we are ahead of the average so far, will you have it done for your winter?

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #489

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
looks like you have dual fuel as the carb is promanent but at the back looks like a propane unit. i had this conversion on my p30 step van a few years back
djlgnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #490

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
amazing work , you are doing what i wish i could do to mine. Being on dissability pension makes it a challange for me financially. You Rock, keep the pics and info comming
djlgnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elandan, frame