Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #85

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Very interesting, doing a great job
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 02:54 AM   #86

Watching this build with great interest, and hoping that I don't end up going so deep on the Transtar my daughter bought. Then again, it could probably use it...
Looking good, eager to see how it turns out.
Tidy Tabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:12 AM   #87

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Looking good Erik.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidy Tabby View Post
Watching this build with great interest, and hoping that I don't end up going so deep on the Transtar my daughter bought. Then again, it could probably use it...
Looking good, eager to see how it turns out.
If you need to do a lot of work on a vehicle rebuild, I find it's usually easier to go in deep and do it right rather than try to patch things from the outside. But you need to have the space, time, skill, and tools to do it.
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Looking good Erik! You're doing a good systematic demo job, just be very careful. I would shore up that body beyond what is necessary before getting under it for any reason. You're probably saying "yeah duh", but I'm a "can't be too careful" kind of guy.

I think you may be a bit like me. I've had experience building a lot of things, but I can damn sure tear something apart!

Best regards,
W.D.
I think I'm a lot like you!

My motto is that any fun project starts and ends with safety. It's no fun going to the emergency ward when a project goes bad. It can easily kill your enthusiasm for the project, and if you can't enjoy it if you're dead. Even with safety precautions, you may still end up with injuries, just not as bad.

And sure, safety does take some additional time, but it's worth it. Not walking under the arm of the backhoe but instead walking around it (in case of hydraulic hose rupture). Never go beneath a hanging load. Know the difference between a temporary and a working support, etc., etc., etc. It's all about risk management, and with the right attitude it becomes second nature.

Safety tip - I put screws or nails in the boards I use as spacers between the body and the frame. That way I can maneuver them without putting my fingers at risk. The screw stick out on the side, and you grab each screw with a hand you are less likely to put your hands where they will be crushed if the body drops:
Old 05-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #90

I would add patience and perseverance to that list! (space, time, skill, and tools)
Old 05-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #91

The house is off!

Spent the day today finishing up removing the house since it was a light work day.

After I finished stacking blocks, I started pulling the frame out using the winch on the ATV.

It was slow going, making sure that everything passed without interference.

The frame slowly came out from underneath the house.

The support for the front of the body wasn't quite high enough. This is why you want to make sure you take it nice and slow!

With the front raise up higher, the wheels cleared

As the cab left the concrete slab and went onto the dirt, the ATV didn't have enough traction to pull it. Since the wheels had cleared the last obstacle, I opted for a slightly stronger pull vehicle.

And the frame is free!

I removed the dual inners and the tag wheels to make it easier to move around and work on.

And last but not least, the free standing house:
Old 05-23-2016, 11:00 PM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow, Eric! That will sure make working on the chassis a whole lot easier! Great job! Rail!
Old 05-24-2016, 05:11 AM   #93

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Looking forward to watching your progress on the rebuild, you have done a good job on the teardown.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:16 AM   #94
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Frame does not look to rusted!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Frame does not look to rusted!
No, under the body it looked better than I thought it would. I was pleasantly surprised!

I guess things look a bit different when laying on your back having crap fall in your face and when you are standing up looking at it.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOrellana View Post
I guess things look a bit different when laying on your back having crap fall in your face and when you are standing up looking at it.
I've heard about the weird stuff you Swede's are into...
Tidy Tabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #97

Next up is removing the cab from the frame. I think removing the cab will be more work than removing the house. The house was bolted on, but the cab is welded in place using a lot of little L-brackets and other strange attachments.

I'm leaving on a business trip tomorrow and will be gone for the rest of the week, so I decided to get in an hour or so of tear down this evening.

Many of the welds were the sheet metal and the frame meet have cracked.

The seal between the house and the cab was misaligned, causing water to seep into the cab structure.

Somebody at the factory thought it was a good idea to cut the supporting beam in order to install the controls for the hydraulic jacks. Not a big deal since the ends of the supporting beam are not attached to anything.

Many points of the cab are badly rusted. Here is the bottom of the door framing. This is structural rust.

Only sheet metal has been removed to this point, no supporting beams. I've always thought that there was a lot of metal drumming while driving, and now I know why!

As you can tell, it was dark by the time I remembered my camera, but here's a final shot to hold you guys over until I get back next week.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidy Tabby View Post
I've heard about the weird stuff you Swede's are into...
Mög osså. De blev inte helt rätt!

Tags
elandan, frame