Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2021, 07:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Electric Problem

I have a ‘99 Beaver Monterey and lost 110 electric power to front and back TV’s, all circuits behind front TV. Overhead lights in kitchen and circuit behind passenger seat. Circuit breaker shows all circuits working, shore power, inverter and generator power all tested and working properly. Two RV electricians and one master electrician have tested everything and no one has a solution. ANY suggestions would be appreciated!
Bludiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #2

Are all those things on one circuit? Or are you dealing with a problem on several circuits? Is there a GFCI involved? Do you have 110v outlets that do work or are they all off?

Sometimes bouncing down the road causing a constant earthquake for our homes on the road will shake loose a wire or cause one to be cut or shorted on a screw or nail somewhere in a wall, etc. However, if it is multiple circuits and some 110v does still work, you have a different problem.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #3

Blu,

I see this all the time in both RVs and powerboats.

Do you have a meter or a 120V test light? Get either.
Get a decent size straight screwdriver and a flashlight. (There should be no power in the coach at all.)

Disconnect from your primary power. Open the breaker box. Before you do anything else, try to tighten every screw that you can see that could be holding anything. Nothing Moved?
Now pull on the wires coming out of the breakers. These should be able to resist anything you can do. Still Good?
Put power back on. Be very careful because that box just got deadly. Now test the output screw of each breaker. If one is bad, do not be surprised, they do this sometimes.

If you didn't fine the fault this way, then the circuit is open somewhere along its run. You will have to know which circuit it is and be ready to go hunting.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #4

Look in your storage bays to see if the GFI breaker is tripped down there. Also check the other breakers. Lastly look behind the front TV to make sure the interlock does not have you locked out.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have you checked the circuit breakers by you inverter? Here's a picture of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	319038  
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludiver View Post
I have a ‘99 Beaver Monterey and lost 110 electric power to front and back TV’s, all circuits behind front TV. Overhead lights in kitchen and circuit behind passenger seat. Circuit breaker shows all circuits working, shore power, inverter and generator power all tested and working properly. Two RV electricians and one master electrician have tested everything and no one has a solution. ANY suggestions would be appreciated!
Start to take things - outlets and switches - apart to find the loose or broken wire. 99' Things happen over time - it's a pain but the only way to find the problem is to LOOK. JMHO, Been there done that,

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I want to thank those who responded. Excellent input but everything suggested has been done without success so it seems there must be a short or break on the circuit in the wall. Again, thanks for the help.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crb478 View Post
Look in your storage bays to see if the GFI breaker is tripped down there. Also check the other breakers. Lastly look behind the front TV to make sure the interlock does not have you locked out.
I have not checked the interlock behind the front TV. Where is it located in the TV compartment? There are two 110 lines going into a circuit box in the compartment and they are both dead.
Thanks for your help��
Old 02-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
I want to thank those who responded. Excellent input but everything suggested has been done without success so it seems there must be a short or break on the circuit in the wall. Again, thanks for the help.
No it has not ALL been Checked or it would WORK!!!!!

Using the continuity on the Multimeter just check each line for continuity - If You understand what you are trying to do it Just Takes Time and a long jumper.

It happens in RV's and In Homes - Son had a similar issue in his TT and we were able to find it - re - twisted the wirers and all was well. It Took a few hours to trace it out - it was in a hidden junction box, takes time - last thing is to check your breakers - it too could be bad one, if it is just one circuit.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #10

The interlock is in a junction box behind the front TV. It is designed to keep that TV from working anytime you are driving. The down side is anything down stream from there will also not work. Most people bypass this feature. Driver can not see the TV anyway and who care if passengers watch.

I doubt that is the issue though. Try to find the last outlet that works and examine the wiring from there forward.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Electric Problem

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will try that. Since you basically have the same coach and same engine as I do I will probably be in touch with you in the future. Feel free to reach out to me if I can return the favor.
Harold
Old 02-27-2021, 06:16 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Are your kitchen ceiling lights powered by 12V like mine or 110vac?

If 12v then that might be a separate problem from your 110v issue?

Same question for the "circuit behind the passenger seat" and "all circuits behind the TV". Are these 12v or 110v circuits ?

As mentioned by others, perhaps a GFI outlet near the TV popped that may need re-activation?

Are the other VAC power outages all on the same circuit?

Do you the OEM wiring manual for the rig? Mine has the wiring diagrams that are helpful when chasing down power issues.

Hope you can fix the problem.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:07 PM   #13

The lights and recepticles were 120v from the factory. Some of the smaller puck lights may be 12v, but most lights are 120.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:43 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
All the lights and sockets are 120, all the puck lights are 12V. I don’t have a wiring diagram and have not been able to locate one. Any information on how or where I can get one would be appreciated. Thanks for your input.

Tags
electric, problem