Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #1

Ethyl has problems 1986 HR Imperial

Ethyl has problems. After having an electrician run a 10 gauge, 30 amp dedicated circuit out to Ethyl, she got plugged and still no electricity. Nothing comes on. The generator battery is dead (gonna put a trickle charger on that when it gets hooked back up). power inverter won't do anything. Supposedly it's a 110 circuit. Most of the lights run off the battery (also dead, drat that son-in-law of mine). The fridge is 110 and so is the A/C. LP gas which I haven't even messed with yet.
So if anyone has any suggestions, please, please please let me know. I am totally new to RV'ing. Don't even know how to check the tanks and can't without power. I would deeply appreciate any help y'all can give me. I know she's a project RV and has issues but hey, who doesn't =)
Thanks,
Merry and Ethyl
MerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Some where in the MH there is a electric panel for 110 AC check the main breakers sounds like they are off.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #3

no power

it sounds to me like you have no 12v power and just about every thing needs 12v to work like fridge the controls work on 12v so will functon while boondocking might try connecting house battery to a good battery with jumper cables lee
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #4

they are not off and now I have power to an electrical plug in in the rv but only to that one. Does the inverter HAVE to be running?
Thanks,
Merry
Old 03-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

The fridge is a replacement and is just a regular tiny thing that plugs into 110. I discovered today that the lights are 12v. which is fine. I'm running an extension cord so I use a lamp while I'm out in Ethyl. My main concern is the A/C. I live in Florida and it's getting hot already =) Ethyl is like an oven.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Didn't most of your (12v) stuff used to work?

You need to charge those batteries, one way or another. Check the water in em too.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #7

Ethyl does have electricity but it's all wired screwy and backwards. Only one outlet in the RV works. and we got the a/c working too. Might need a freon charge but it's working. Thanks for all your help.
Merry & Ethyl
Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #8

will do Jim. but it's raining waterfalls out there right now.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #9

My 84 Holiday Rambler Imperial has an inverter switch behind the driver's seat. It sounds to me like you have it switched on to the inverter side instead of the shore power side. If the batteries are not charged and you are on shore power then when it is switched up to the inverter, only one outlet will work and one of the air conditioners will work. If it is switched down to the shorepower then everything should work. Yours might be different but that is how mine works.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #10

power

I dont have that switch. I have to open up my panel(i have 2) and shut off a main breaker.
nepagearjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #11

found the main breaker panel in a cupboard I hadn't looked in yet (under the closets). I figure I'll have an RV repair person or somebody who knows more about RV's than the people who have checked Ethyl out so far. The A/c works (about freezes me out), got electric on one side of the RV (two outlets). Figure I'll send out to Holiday Rambler and see if I can get the spec sheets and wiring diagrams from them, it will be worth the money I think.
I really enjoy living in an RV, it's all self contained. Ordered my white hose from wal-mart ($26.00 with shipping, costs more than shipping to drive to the nearest WM). Next thing to find out is who I can get to dump the tanks when they need it. Not too worried about that yet though. I haven't used enough water in any form out here yet.