Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #1

Exhaust

Being that I am near to installing headers on this rig, I thought I would ask for help on configuring the pipes from the collectors back. The way it sits now I have duels exiting behind the back wheels. I thought I saw that the Banks exhaust system goes from 2 into 1 and exits before the rear wheel. I have also notice that some talk about an X pipe that helps torque. I would appreciate replies from some of you that have did this same thing or some backed comments and help. Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I would rethink headers.

Headers work for higher RPM and their purpose is to scavenge burn exhaust out of the cylinders.

A good set of exhaust manifolds work fine for low RPM high torque requirements.

The are quiter, and stand up to the elements better than headers.

Just my two cents.

Also two into one exhaust when done right works well.

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a 79 GMC pickup with the 350 engine that I put dual exhausts on, made a noticeable increase in power.

A couple years later I had to go back to single exhaust due to smog rules here in California.

Power dropped off noticeably.

If I were you I wouldn't go to a single exhaust.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:29 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Deano,
It is a proven fact that the X-pipe increases the torque, also the long tube smaller diameter headers. My '88 Southwind had the exhaust exit in front of the rear wheels, on each side. The headers will help decrease the heat around the engine compartment.
Don't forget to put on highflow mufflers, your rpm range is in the high 2000 to low 3000 rpm range, so you have to get out all that exhaust. I would also put on 21/2" minimum pipes with 3" as a maximum, unless you go into the 2 into 1, then the single pipe should be 31/2" to 4" diameter. I am not a fan of 2 into 1, but that is your choice.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Deano,
It is a proven fact that the X-pipe increases the torque, also the long tube smaller diameter headers. My '88 Southwind had the exhaust exit in front of the rear wheels, on each side. The headers will help decrease the heat around the engine compartment.
Don't forget to put on highflow mufflers, your rpm range is in the high 2000 to low 3000 rpm range, so you have to get out all that exhaust. I would also put on 21/2" minimum pipes with 3" as a maximum, unless you go into the 2 into 1, then the single pipe should be 31/2" to 4" diameter. I am not a fan of 2 into 1, but that is your choice.
Frank
seems to me anything that I have put headers on, gained power all across the board. Banks say 2 into 1 is best for torque? How far back from the collectors should the X-pipe go? Stock exhaust pipes now are are 2 1/4". Thinking leaving them for now
Old 11-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #6

do you make the x-pipe or buy them?
Old 11-16-2016, 06:48 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Deano,
Either way on making the X-pipe, if you have the capabilities of mig or tig, you can make your own, or you can just buy them from Summit Racing, or Jegs or any other speed shop or catalog. If you are staying with the 21/4" pipes, I would definitely go with the dual mufflers and tailpipes, too much back pressure with the 2 into 1 with the smaller pipes. I don't think it makes a big difference where you place the X-pipe, you kind of have to figure out where it fits with the driveshaft. It does have to go between the headers and the mufflers.
Frank
Old 11-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Deano,
Either way on making the X-pipe, if you have the capabilities of mig or tig, you can make your own, or you can just buy them from Summit Racing, or Jegs or any other speed shop or catalog. If you are staying with the 21/4" pipes, I would definitely go with the dual mufflers and tailpipes, too much back pressure with the 2 into 1 with the smaller pipes. I don't think it makes a big difference where you place the X-pipe, you kind of have to figure out where it fits with the driveshaft. It does have to go between the headers and the mufflers.
Frank
the place I work at has some guys that use both tig or mig so, welding that up is not a problem. I'll just have to see one to copy. I'm planning to get the headers on this year hooked up to the existing pipes then next spring work on a better exhaust system. Then there's cabinet work in the galley area, with Corian tops that I found on Craigslist, then, then, then. I just should have bought a newer one, then I would n't be working on it all the time.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:24 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Deano,
Here is a pic of a Summit X-pipe kit. It looks like you make 2 bends and cut out the hump on the pipes and then weld them together. Hope this helps you.

Frank
Old 11-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #10

Exhausts exiting ahead of the rear wheels are easier and cheaper since the pipes don't have to be routed over the axle.

Dual pipes connecting to a single pipe are fine if the single pipe is larger to carry gas flow from both pipes. As an example, my 1999 Chev 454 has 2 stock mandrel bent pipes from the exhaust manifolds routed to a muffler with two entries, but one larger exit ahead of the rear wheels. If you can find it, mandrel bent exhaust is better than the "crimp" bends produced by most muffler shops.

Before the X-pipe, high performance V-8's used a cross-over pipe running cross-way between each dual exhaust pipe and there was claimed to be a "sweet spot" location for best power. Given the more space needed for the X-pipe, maybe this is just installed wherever there is room (more a problem for cars than motorhomes with lots of underneath space).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
Being that I am near to installing headers on this rig, I thought I would ask for help on configuring the pipes from the collectors back. The way it sits now I have duels exiting behind the back wheels. I thought I saw that the Banks exhaust system goes from 2 into 1 and exits before the rear wheel. I have also notice that some talk about an X pipe that helps torque. I would appreciate replies from some of you that have did this same thing or some backed comments and help. Thanks in advance
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:25 AM   #11

Our 96 Bounder with Ford 460 really struggled on any kind of hill, it was pretty awful . It had stock manifolds & single restricted exhaust exiting in front of rear wheel.
Shortly after buying it I installed a Gibson ceramic coated header kit , removed the resonator & replaced stock muffler & tailpipe.
That was 3 years ago . It wasn't cheap, but it made a significant differance . Much less heat , we'll never have another cracked manifold or broken stud . It has a lot more power in the hills .
Is it louder ? Only a little . The tail pipe is far enough back it , its only noticeable under load , like climbing s hill .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Our 96 Bounder with Ford 460 really struggled on any kind of hill, it was pretty awful . It had stock manifolds & single restricted exhaust exiting in front of rear wheel.
Shortly after buying it I installed a Gibson ceramic coated header kit , removed the resonator & replaced stock muffler & tailpipe.
That was 3 years ago . It wasn't cheap, but it made a significant differance . Much less heat , we'll never have another cracked manifold or broken stud . It has a lot more power in the hills .
Is it louder ? Only a little . The tail pipe is far enough back it , its only noticeable under load , like climbing s hill .
Headers came in today, not sure if I'm going to get on it before cold sets in, if not I'll wait for some warmer days come springtime
Old 11-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #13

I was just reading that the H pipe is better for torque and the X pipe for higher end power. On a motorhome like mine which am I looking for? I will be pulling a car at times
Old 11-25-2016, 06:10 PM   #14

I don't really buy that. But with RVs torque is what we need
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote