Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #85

I too have always purchased preowned RV's. Being a retired teacher I could never afford a new one and frankly didn't want to take the massive depreciation that takes place in the 1st year. I meet a couple a few years back that had purchased a brand new high end motorhome. They had continual problems from the start beginning with the entire coach vibrating at certain speeds. When they took it back to the manufacturer they found that theirs was the 1st one built. The company said they just built it and as problems occurred they figured out how to make it right! YIKES! So these dear people's coach was the "EXPERIMENTAL" or "PROTOTYPE" with no bugs fixed. So, buying new is not always the answer especially in the RV industry. Owning a used RV is like marriage. You never know what you are getting into. The more time you invest the more you'll either love it or ????. There will always be great stories to share around the campfire.
dlshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb in Toro View Post
Please send me a link to the video on the emergency starter button or how you found it please if you still have it. I think I tried to use it incorrectly. I read my manual again but don't "get it" thank you.
Wow so many have contributed still. Thank you all. Here is the video you requested Barb in Toro

Also,
I have not written because we hit a couple really cool state parks in Florida and I do not yet have mobile wifi set up. I have lived in Florida most my life and never saw the caverns or waterfalls up north in the panhandle. After replacing the alternator we have not had another mechanical issue. Having said that, we started out adventure back towards our home town and I kind of felt like the previous issue was still there. We drove for almost 4 hours just like last time.

The battery was fully charged though and the alternator is working. It could all be in my head.

I took everyone advice and read through all manuals. I had a frig problem come up where it would not run on shore power and had to go searching for fuse locations. Turns out the GFI in bathroom, runs the frig and the plug was just not getting power...so yes, most issues are a simple fix.

I am also fairly certain the generator is a result of battery issue, maybe voltage regulator within the generator.

Now, my black tank is leaking...I know, I know...we parked here in Citra Florida and I looked at where the tank is housed and literally...Oh ****!!! I do plan to convert to a composting toilet though so now I will just need to do that sooner than planned.

I wish I could find someone local to work WITH me to remodel and customize. Refurbish and keep this ole girl on the road. I do like how, she does not fit the mold of the common RV rig today.

Also, I learned that the stupid low pressure port to recharge ac is located behind the air intake. Stupid design flaw. I know we have a leak but it was so hot traveling in Florida with no ac for 4 hours. Even if we only get temporary relief for this last bit of travel back to our home town, it would be worth it. So I have been researching how to remove everything and recharge ac.
Abrum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #87

Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like you have a handle on this. I am sure you will figure out these problems and continue to have fun with this RV. Do not know much about re-charging the dash air system. When you get access to the low pressure fitting will you be able to attach an extension that you can place where you do have access? Keep up the good work. And good memories.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:46 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrum81 View Post
I wish I could find someone local to work WITH me to remodel and customize. Refurbish and keep this ole girl on the road. I do like how, she does not fit the mold of the common RV rig today.

Also, I learned that the stupid low pressure port to recharge ac is located behind the air intake. Stupid design flaw. I know we have a leak but it was so hot traveling in Florida with no ac for 4 hours. Even if we only get temporary relief for this last bit of travel back to our home town, it would be worth it. So I have been researching how to remove everything and recharge ac.
Look for a heavy truck repair garage, preferably one that is owned by an individual, not a corporation, and as a bonus, one who RVs. We found one and it is like finding GOLD!!! If you have a volunteer fire department, ask them where they get their heavy stuff fixed, or if there is an independent trucker in your neighborhood they might have a contact.

As for your AC, some recharge cans not only contain compressor lubricant but have a stop-leak as well. Worth a try! But are you SURE that is the low pressure port? Normally they are fairly easily accessible.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Jock View Post
Look for a heavy truck repair garage, preferably one that is owned by an individual, not a corporation, and as a bonus, one who RVs. We found one and it is like finding GOLD!!! If you have a volunteer fire department, ask them where they get their heavy stuff fixed, or if there is an independent trucker in your neighborhood they might have a contact.

As for your AC, some recharge cans not only contain compressor lubricant but have a stop-leak as well. Worth a try! But are you SURE that is the low pressure port? Normally they are fairly easily accessible.
Thank you. Those are great ideas. I did find the low pressure valve. Had to remove the air intake to get to it. Turns out it is not the issue. I believe the compressor has given out. Which is really no big deal. Once the generator is running properly, I will just run the house ac for trips.
Abrum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #90

Jump start

Did you jump start by hooking to your battery
If so it sounds like your cables need cleaning look at the ground where it connects to the engine block or the frame it very well may do both
Robin Richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:40 PM   #91

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two thoughts: Is transmission in PARK? Try NEUTRAL? Do LEVELERS being DOWN Lock OUT engine start for safety?
Old 07-22-2018, 04:03 AM   #92

Volt meter suggestion + converter information

Dear abrum81,

One person suggested buying a volt meter: excellent idea. There are so many things you can diagnose with a digital multimeter. Might even consider a digital meter with an amp Clamp to measure DC & AC amps. Very handy: with it you can measure if you are getting charge current to you chassis battery (under the hood) or charge current to your coach batteries.

For example, measure the DC volts while cranking the engine (be very careful). It should be around 12 volts. If you need more hands, ask your kiddos to help.

While the engine is running, what is the voltage at the battery? It should be around 13.6 to, as high as, 14.4 volts (14.4 is pretty high, but it should definitely be 13.6 or above).
You have a battery under the hood, how about your coach batteries and the device (converter) that charges them?
Find out where that battery or batteries are located. And find out where the converter is located. Some older converters only charge a minimal current to the coach batteries: that might need replacing with a newer one capable of delivering 40 amps.

Please understand that this is a learning process as mentioned. Learn and ask & repeat. Keep the questions coming.

Dave
davetheengineer is offline   Reply With Quote