Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #1

First RV 1985 Georgie Boy P30 Problems/Questions

Afternoon everyone, I bought my first RV 1985 Georgie Boy with a chevy 454 and 31k original miles. Now that its home and ive had a little time to check things out and drive it some i have some issues i am hoping yall can help me with.

1. the 12V outlets in the house work when generator is on but no lights or the oven fan work. (not sure if the house battery is good yet but those should work with the generator right?) I checked the fuses under dash and to see if a breaker was tripped and all seem to be fine?

2. my hazard lights and turn signals work. but low beams and running lights dont work and the high beams constantly flicker on and off but dash light is working.

3. I drove it for about 15min test driving it and rode great. after getting it home and driving it a few days later i was going about 55mph steady when the throttle(motor) just cut out completely, i let off the gas and tried again sounded like the motor tried then completely cut out again all while slowly losing speed luckly i was about a mile from home and was able to feather it in the driveway
allhungup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 04:21 PM   #2

As far as the engine is concerned I wonder if a ground has gone bad, ( which may also affect the headlight also.) Try grounding the frame to the engine. That can cause all sorts of random problems. Also the fuel filter/cracked fuel line/low fuel/sunk floats in the carb. There are all sorts of places to turn, you need to find out if it's fuel or ignition and work down from there.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #3

just out of curiosity... can you instruct me on how to get the fridge going? no idea if it works or how to get it started
Old 04-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm no good with the engine part of things. but I would see if you have a battery cutoff switch. I have one right in the stairwell coming in and if it's not in the on position nothing 12v in the coach works at all. It's meant to keep the battery from draining when it's in storage.

The fridge should run when on AC. Not sure what model you have though. You want to be sure the coach is as level as you can get it (as measured from the freezer compartment) and then give it AC power (or attempt to light it on propane.. but I like AC better) For my norcold a light that says "AC" will light up on the control panel above the freezer door. (The main control panel has Auto, Off and LP as switch choices for mine you would want Auto) If nothing lights up see if there's another switch. For mine it's visible when you open the fridge door just above where the seal is. It's a 3 position switch with the middle one being off, up being normal and all the way down high humidity. Either way if it's in the storage position it won't come on. I would just set it to the coldest setting and let it sit for about 5 hours and see if it actually gets cold. in the freezer and fridge compartments. If it does act like it's on but it's not getting cold you can start troubleshooting from there but it may be anything from a bad heating element, bad control board or even a busted up cooling unit.

You can also check that it's plugged in by checking the hatch in the back on the outside of the RV. hope that helps.

Oh yeah Edited to add that until you get your 12v power on the fridge won't work even when it's on AC because the control board for it takes 12v. so sort that out first.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #5

Thank you ill give it a shot today. I have 3 switches as i walk in not quite sure what any of them do but ill see if anything works.. i have a freshly charged deep cycle i am going to drop in there today and give it a test

Tags
ems, georgie boy, p30, problems