RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #1

Free 1987 Jamboree

Hey everyone,, joined to hopefully find some answers for my rv. Got it for free from a relative in Colorado. Drove it home to Fargo ND. Sucks gas and smells great doing it! Got a young family and looking to use this to get into camping a little more. Any tips or tricks to get this old 460 running better are much appreciated..
jjanguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2020, 07:55 PM   #2

Welcome to the site!

You mentioned 460 so I assume this is on a Ford chassis. That year 460 is still carbureted, throttle body injection started in 89 I believe. So most likely the carb is all gummed up especially if its been sitting. Easiest thing to do would prob just replace the carb. You could rebuild it but last time I did an older carb big block motor it was just easier to buy a rebuild one and slap it on, make adjustments and go!

Other thing is the roof. It prob leaks unless it has been maintained recently. Get everything on top tight. Post pics, share, and ask more questions with details and specifics. Tell us what is wrong, is it running poor etc.

Welcome to the world of RV.
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2!

There's a great bunch of folks here to help you along your journey. If you haven't already found them, there's a couple of forums that may help you out.

Ford Chassis
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23

Fleetwood
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard!

How old are the tires and what pressure are you setting them at?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:34 PM   #6

Welcome. Sounds like an awesome plan, but be ready to break out the tools.
Plan on replacing rubber parts everywhere, tires, brake hoses, window trims, door seals, suspension bushings, etc. Rubber wears out and considering the extra weight and lack of maneuverability there is a smaller margin of error for failures if something goes wrong. Don't risk the safety of your family.
Tidy Tabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:46 AM   #7

Carb was rebuilt recently. The only thing I find off about the motor is the power. Driving about 75, come to a rolling hill and it slows to about 60. I grew up with my parents having the exact same one. My dad helped me drive it back, said ours never lacked that much juice. And ours was always heavily loaded. Are there any other components with the carb you think I should replace?
Old 11-16-2020, 05:49 AM   #8

Tires are two years old. I have a stack of about 40 receipts on everything that has been done over the years. Everything from resealing the roof to new suspension and air lift suspension. Lot of money in repairs. I did have a window break out while driving it, not sure if it was a pressure thing or a rough ride problem.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjanguls View Post
Carb was rebuilt recently. The only thing I find off about the motor is the power. Driving about 75, come to a rolling hill and it slows to about 60. I grew up with my parents having the exact same one. My dad helped me drive it back, said ours never lacked that much juice. And ours was always heavily loaded. Are there any other components with the carb you think I should replace?

First off I would never drive an RV 75. That's really fast, especially an 87. My 89 which was TBI not carb would not like that speed and completely normal that you slow down at hills. If you were keeping 60 going up hills you are doing great. Is yours a 3 speed tranny? At 75 your rpms would be screaming!

I would suspect a tune up could help. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor. When was the carb work done, how long did it sit? It only takes one season of bad gas (especially if it has ethanol in it) and your carb could be back to needed a rebuild.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:45 AM   #10

Quote:
The only thing I find off about the motor is the power.
I believe that all the carbureted 460s of that era had the cam timing retarded 8į via the cam gear. Add in some wear, and the cam can be really retarded which can really hurt power and driveability. Replaced the timing gears with a straight up set in a buddy's 1978, really woke it up.

That said, if you're able to even go 75 MPH you're doing pretty good for power. They were only rated for like 212 HP, that's about all the speed you're going to get. RPM must be up there.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Tires are two years old. I have a stack of about 40 receipts on everything that has been done over the years. Everything from resealing the roof to new suspension and air lift suspension. Lot of money in repairs. I did have a window break out while driving it, not sure if it was a pressure thing or a rough ride problem.
Great news on the tires. Still check the roof. That is a yearly maintenance item for sure. Not sure how long ago that was done. Again, curious how long did it sit before you got it? And please post some pics!
Old 11-16-2020, 10:10 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First order of business is tires and the age. Check the DOT date code on the side wall. If the tires are over 5 years old, get new tires and get load range E tires.

Next is the brakes. Make sure all the brakes are still good. Service the engine fluids ... oil, antifreeze, power steering fluid, bake fluid and transmission.

The 460 cid Ford is a big block engine and it likes fuel. Next is speed. At 70 and 75 mph, it will really suck the fuel. Slow down to 65 mph and the fuel economy will be better.

Get on the roof and check all the seams and repair as needed with the proper caulk....not silicone seal.

Now enjoy the beast.

Ken
Old 11-23-2020, 01:44 AM   #13

Welcome from a fellow Jamboree

I just got a 1989 on myself last month.
Give us more details and pictures.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:00 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once a year I put five cans of Seafoam in my 75 gallon gas tank just before a long trip. I burn that whole tank and run the generator for an hour with the Seafoam cleaning it out too.

Might I suggest 3 or 4 cans of Seafoam be added to your tank and run through the whole tank, running your generator at the same time.

About $9 a can at Walmart.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jamboree