Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2021, 06:16 AM   #1

Fresh water system leak

I have a 1989 Fleetwood Southwind 30' that has developed a fresh water problem when used for the first time this season. It would seem that the system was not thoroughly winterized.

Started to fill the fresh water tank and turned on the water pump but no response at any water faucet or the toilet. Hooked up city water, still no response but water started leaking into a bottom storage area.
Does any one have, or know where to get, a schematic of the fresh water system on this vehicle?
I haven't pulled things apart yet but will be starting this morning.

I'm pretty sure they didn't build these rigs with handy hatches for access.
Any help or information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Barry Davidson
PS: I'm a 74-year-old newb.
BarryDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2021, 07:10 AM   #2

Okayyyyyyyyyyy now. The first rule when working on a vintage motorhome is remember that the engineering was all about making assembly easier and faster. Maintenance was someone else's problem. For instance, i'll bet your tanks and water supply system was installed before the floors and cabinets or at least before the cabinets.

Most of the box stores carry your grey tubing adaptors to PEX etc. i've also found that PEX fittings work on it too.

I have PEX crimpers up to 1" but have found they can be almost impossible to use by an old man in the cramped quarters of MH plumbing. But now they have tools and a system that uses PEX, just that the tools are expensive, $200.00 plus. it is so trick that it makes WD40 look like glue.

You will also find that they use T's stacked on T's for routing. Be prepared.

At your almost mid seventies you should have the patience to abide by the principle of eating an elephant, one bite at a time. You can do this but it won't be as much fun as a thirty something would find it.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:57 PM   #3

It should not be very complex. One faucet in bathroom, one in kitchen, one in shower. Tank, pump, city water connection, tank fill valveand a water heater. My wild ass guess you have split the pump inlet side of the pump. It my be the pump will not prime because of that crack and air is preventing the pump to prime. When city water is applied the water is forced out the crack. Or, if you have a winterization valve, the valve could be selected to draw the winterization fluid and can only draw air and not water from the tank.
Porschedude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #4

The link below is a 2021 owners manual For a. Southwind. It can’t be much more than your 1989. Page 127 shows the 2021fresh water system.

https://big.nyc3.cdn.digitaloceanspa...630&focal=none
Porschedude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:23 AM   #5

It now appears this problem is intriguing. When I hooked up the city water I was sure I heard leaking water and had some dripping in the storage area below the sink.

Today I replaced the water strainer at the fresh water pump. It appeared that water had frozen and cracked the housing. I tried the city water after replacing the strainer. I think I put all the valves in the proper position but they are not all well marked. The water did not reach any taps or the toilet or shower but did fill the water heater.
Could a freeze destroy the water pump?

And, why would the heater fill and no pressure is evident any where else?
Sure hope someone can help with this.
PS:
The reason I didn't respond to the original responders to this post is I was out of internet reach.
Thanks in advance for any and all helpful ideas.
Barry
BarryDavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water