Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2020, 07:05 PM   #1

Fuel Pump questions - Dodge big block

I have questions concerning fuel flow rate for a Dodge 413 big-block V8 in my '73 Winnebago Indian. This engine is part of the RB engine family which includes the 440 and the 400. It has an older 600 cfm 4bbl Holley Street Avenger carb installed by the previous owner.

Question #1: What was the flow rate for the factory mechanical fuel pump? It has a block-off plate where the pump was, and an electric pump installed by the previous owner. I THINK the electric pump is a 15-30 psi (not sure), and the PO did plumb a pressure regulator into the fuel system by the carb.

Question #2: I'm going to replace the old and cranky 600 cm with a larger carb for more hill climbing power. I live in Alaska, and 8%-10% (or steeper) highway grades are NORMAL here. Thinking about a 670 cfm Holly Truck Avenger carb since these units don't flood and stall at crazy angles. I'm open to looking at 650 cm units also, if someone has brand/model suggestions. Fuel injection is a future (3+ yrs) plan due to cost and complexity.

Question #3: My MH is set up for towing. Any idea what the factory hitch was rated for? 5,000 lbs? More? I have a '16 Kia Rio I am hoping to tow behind my Winnebago.

Question #4: The engine was rewired to a late-'70s electronic ignition by the PO as well. Can a 1-wire aftermarket HEI distributer work with this setup?

I am not a Dodge purist, just an owner who wants my classic MH to run better than it does. Any help is welcome.

And I do know about the various diesel engine conversions. I just don't have the available funds to pull it off.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2020, 06:51 AM   #2

Going to a larger CFM carb. won't necessarily give you better performance. Your engine probably will run better with the 600 CFM carb. I suspect that if you go to a larger carb, all you will be doing is adding fuel that the engine can't efficiently burn thus wasting fuel with no added gain.

Here's an article that will help you decide. Fuel pressure only needs to be 6 and 8 PSI

https://performanceimprovements.com/...etor-do-i-need
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:28 AM   #3

If you stick with a Holley, you want a center mounted float style.......not one that pivots off the end...and they make fuel pressure gauges.......MSD brand ign is what I'd be changing to....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, fuel, fuel pump