Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Furnace fan has high-pitched squeal.

My furnace fan squeals off and on, mostly on as of now. I've opened the compartment (under the dining table bench) and banged lightly on the top of the metal enclosure and it has gotten better (not as noisy and not as often). We're on the road now and it doesn't appear to be affecting how well it works and heats, so if it doesn't lock up on me it's going to be a wintering-over job. Anyone been inside the furnace that can tell me what to expect? Haven't looked for any drawings, etc., yet. Too busy enjoying the trip. Thanks in advance for input from anyone who's been there. Cheers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2019, 07:31 AM   #2

Our furnace did (does) that. Dry and worn bearing on the fan motor.

I spent several hours removing the furnace to get a good look at it. It is under the refrigerator, so it was mostly lying on the floor with my face smashed into a hole. Or working with my arms in the hole, unable to see what I was doing.

I got the furnace out and on the bench, and intended to replace the fan motor. I am a pretty-capable guy, but I could not figure out how to get it apart! At the time, I researched a lot, and could find no instructions how to disassemble.

I sprayed a bunch of lubricant into it and reinstalled it. It still squeaks once in a while. If I go to the trouble of removing it again, I will likely replace it with a new furnace.

See if you can spray the fan bearings with the unit in place. Recollection is that for our RV, fan motor was $40ish, new furnace around $600.

Matt B
Old 09-05-2019, 07:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
My furnace fan squeals off and on, mostly on as of now. I've opened the compartment (under the dining table bench) and banged lightly on the top of the metal enclosure and it has gotten better (not as noisy and not as often). We're on the road now and it doesn't appear to be affecting how well it works and heats, so if it doesn't lock up on me it's going to be a wintering-over job. Anyone been inside the furnace that can tell me what to expect? Haven't looked for any drawings, etc., yet. Too busy enjoying the trip. Thanks in advance for input from anyone who's been there. Cheers.

Not much inside of a furnace that can produce a sound characteristic of the term "squeal", other than a dry bearing in the fan motor.
Assuming it only squeals when the fan is running, I would be looking to that as the problem. Suggestion - I don't think these motors have lube/oil ports. The best way to get oil into them when they don't have ports is to either a) disassemble the motor and use a machine oil to fill the cotton adsorbant pads full of oil, or b) get the motor running for about 3-5 minutes, then apply lube/oil to the shaft of the motor as near to each end bearing as you can. Then quickly turn the motor off before all the oil is slung off. The heated bearing will draw the oil up into itself.
MrMark52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info, oldmattb. Fortunately for me, I think, the furnace is under one of the dining table benches.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good idea, MrMark52. I'm going to try that.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the info, oldmattb. Fortunately for me, I think, the furnace is under one of the dining table benches.

Under the dinette seat is a good place, typically pretty easy to remove and replace the furnace. Once you can open it up replacing the motor is a 30-60 minute job.

If you don't find a YouToob video, give Fleetwood a call.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced the blower motors on both of my furnaces last year, took about 30 minutes each. :

Furnace blower squeals like a stuck pig – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:39 AM   #8

I have successfully taken the motors apart in both of our coaches and cleaned the insides and lubed the bearings. I use synthetic engine oil to lube with as it does not gum up like the cheap oils.
Also cleaned the rest of the furnace at the same time. Check for any debris in the burner housing by shaking it. If it rattles tip it so the air intake is down.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:30 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, Waiter21. That link is going to be VERY helpful. Almost like having a tech looking over my shoulder. About the only way to beat that would be for someone else to do it. I remember reading somewhere someone had just bought their first RV and planning to full-time. He said he was so ready to get rid of all those home chores like mowing the lawn, raking the leaves, etc. HA!
Old 09-06-2019, 06:31 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the input leadman. Appreciate it.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Good idea, MrMark52. I'm going to try that.

One thing I just happened to think of though when it comes to this method of lubrication - you won't be able to easily reach the inner bearing because the center hub of the fan will be in the way. You'll have to access by looking between the fan blades, and they sell oil in bottles that have a straw stem to be used in situations such as this.
Otherwise, it's take the blower out of the unit and disassemble - which is a better means of repair anyway.
MrMark52 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fan, furnace