Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2022, 03:20 PM   #1

FYI Roof top a/c

Just wanted to post so that this information would be helpful to someone else. I just recently had to replace both a/c units on my 1998 Dutch Star motor home. The problem I had was only the rear was bad but unable to find the control board so that the new unit would work with my old 5 button thermostat I had to do extensive research as to how to fix my problem. I found out through Newmar Customer Service that the dometic 10 button would work with current wiring and that I would have to replace both units and the controller as well as the thermostat. I began searching for new units after calling Dometic customer service I had the unit numbers and controller number I was able to purchase everything I needed from Amazon for around 3K. Easy install and a big shoutout to Newmar and Dometic Customer Service for their help. I hope this may help someone else who maybe trying to figure out what to do.
dillardgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2022, 07:18 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up .

But someone must have done some upgrading in the past for your coach to have a 5 button t'stat as a 4 button would have been factory equipment .
Old 05-31-2022, 07:44 PM   #3

Mine's even older than that and has no buttons, just a slide and switches. I've been trying to figure out how to interface a new AC without a control board to the old thermostat or at least its wiring for a while now. Which board and which control would be most apropos is less than clear. Fixing such stuff is some tricky business. They're more than happy to foist a total replacement setup on you though.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:19 AM   #4

Yes it was upgraded to a five button in 2005.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:26 AM   #5

Finding parts for the older units is practically impossible in today’s market. I believe you would have to replace the wiring in order to upgrade your thermostat and replace both units. Give Dometic and your coach manufacture customer service a call maybe they can give you the information you need.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:07 PM   #6

Where's the fun in that?

Yes, I have a do-it-myself or die personality problem.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof