Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 11:07 PM   #1

Generator oil change questions

I am new to the RV world and I am getting ready change the oil and filter on my Onan generator. I will be using Mobil-1 10-30 High Mileage oil. My unit is over 20 years old and I am curious how often you need to change the oil and filter. I have read that it should be done every 150 hours, but that dose not seem like a very long time.
miller806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 11:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most Gens. are not run 150 hours a year. I change the oil every year regardless of the hours run.
Back in my services days the gens, were on a 250 hour change. Our Radar site had no commercial power only gens. they ran around the clock, the oil was changed every 10 days (240 hours) We had 3 main gens, 2 ran all the time.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:24 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I change generator oil and oil filter annually. Air filter and fuel filter every other year.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ditto on changing the oil & filter every year! You will be surprised at how long it will take to put 150 hours on your generator, even if all you do is boondocking.
Our first RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:19 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm going to go with the once a year group as well.

On average, I might put 2 or 3 hours on it a year, but still change it annually anyway.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #6

....wow--2-3 hours per year on genset....guess you are not following the recommended procedure of periodically running genset at 1/2 load to exercise components.....also assume OP has gas genset based on oil selection......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #7

Yes it is a gas generator. It is our first MH and just got it in January of this year. We have only made one long trip in it so far. We travel with our cat and have learned that we need to run the roof air to keep it comfortable for us and our little fuzzy friend while on the road. This means that we will be running the generator, so the hours will add up. I don't mind changing the oil as needed, but with modern synthetic oils it should not need to be as often as with older petroleum based oils.
miller806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #8

Do my diesel Onan every 200 hrs, oil an filter. Maintenance interval is set in the Freightliner LBCU. Works well, starts warning at 50 hrs left. I've put 450 hrs on the genset since August.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:25 AM   #9

.....guess I would stay with manufacture recommendations, either current or when genset was made.....my Onan is a QD7500 diesel with over 1500hrs--accumulated over 15 years, or about 100hrs per year....gas engine might not be as big and issue...but for the QD, I just got use to annual oil changes when I do the Cummins diesel....DIY, its not that expensive......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 06-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I suspect your service interval may depend on how you use the generator.

I have a 5500 in my 1999 Southwind. When I bought the MH last year, I serviced the generator, new filters (oil and air), oil (dead dinosaur 5w30) , and check the brushes. This brought the maintenance up to date.

http://www.1999southwind.com/onan-ma...rator-service/

I put a little over an hour on it since last year when I bought it. I don't exercise the genny. I suspect I'll never hit 50 hours, so I might decide to change the oil in a few years, or not...

On our old 2001 Mirada, the generator was used mainly to run the A/C units while traveling. On our Southwind, the dash A/C does a good job, so we havn't had to run the rooftop A/C units while traveling..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #11
SMB

Run a diesel gen but a lube is a lube, and I never get many hours. I use the time frame of 250 hrs. or once per year, whichever comes first. Was an equipment manager for large construction firm in another life and that was the interval. Would use Synthetic for high hours but dead dinosaurs (Shell Tech 15/40) if your doing annuals, naturally with runs throughout the down periods. (1 a month for a half hour under load).

Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:39 AM   #12

Generators do not fall under the 'X miles or Once per year' that has been the greatest trick played on folks to boost revenue. Much like the old...Change your oil 'Every 3000 miles'. LOL!

Generators run at a fixed RPM's where as vehicle engines are all over the map. Hence the need for either a 'Normal OCI or Severe duty OCI'. Generators are far easier on oil then vehicle engines.

It's best to do (1) oil analysis and you will know how much life is left within the oil. These days any good name brand oil will easily live beyond 1 year.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #13

....news flash--not all generators run at a constant RPM--example: QD7500.....by the time you pay for an oil analysis, you have covered the price of a DIY oil change....IMHO, whether you work your genset hard or it sits a lot--an annual oil change is money in the bank--opinions may and do vary!!!!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 06-07-2018, 05:57 AM   #14

I change mine once a year . I don't bother exercising the generator , and haven't had any problems. I just run regular 10-30 motor oil . Although synthetic oil may last longer, the moisture and other contaminants still remain in the engine.

Tags
generator