Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2022, 07:41 AM   #1

Generator Part Search

Hello All, I am at my whit's end hunting around and then I remember all the good people here who have all been in my shoes at one time or another.
I have a 1995 Winnebago Vectra with a Onan Marquis 7000 gas generator. I am having a hard time finding this backordered part.
(Onan Cummins 166-0821 OEM RV Generator Ignition Control Module 15" Wire ) I have tried Onan and many places to find the part with no luck. I wanted to post here to see if anyone may know of a cross reference part that may work or if anyone may have knowledge of one hiding out there somewhere. I thank you all in advance for your thoughts and time. Jim Mashoke
Mashoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2022, 08:00 AM   #2

I just typed “ replaces onan 166-0821” into a search and found all kinds of hits. The 2 or 3 I checked didn’t indicate any issue with delivery although the acummins site did.

ASAP is one supplier - I have bought from them before.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:13 AM   #3

I know the name sounds strange but try “Flight Systems “ out of Co. they actually deal in Onan generator part and got me out of a jam by overnighting a part I needed to start a Trip
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 08:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwyatt View Post
I know the name sounds strange but try “Flight Systems “ out of Co. they actually deal in Onan generator part and got me out of a jam by overnighting a part I needed to start a Trip
X2 on Flight Systems! Only company to use when it comes to genset controller boards.

However - I just did a search on their website - the OP’s needed part didn’t come up.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
I just typed “ replaces onan 166-0821” into a search and found all kinds of hits. The 2 or 3 I checked didn’t indicate any issue with delivery although the acummins site did.

ASAP is one supplier - I have bought from them before.
Thank you all for the input. I will check a few more sites with the word ( Replaces ) I am on ASAP's and Onan's waiting list along with 4 other part suppliers. Onan told my mechanic that the part has to be made and it is not in production at this time 77 Days out or more. Summer will be long gone by then and no AC on the road without the generator. So I am hoping to find one on a shelf somewhere.
Mashoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 05:44 AM   #6

Wondering if Onan was ever a military or Fema supplier and if there are surplus parts hiding out somewhere. Seems a darn shame that so many Onan owners have trouble locating parts.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:30 PM   #7

Found this seller for the best price. I'd contact them to see if they can get it.

https://www.smallenginesprodealer.co...onan-166-0821/

Can you explain why you think you need this part? What are the current symptoms? It's not that common for it to go bad.

For what it's worth, I keep a complete Onan Marquis 7000 as a spare. I picked one up, still mounted to the original shipping crate, for $1100 a few years ago. It was used as a backup generator for a work shed. The owner converted it over to 240V single phase, but I converted it back to 120V.
92LandYacht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator