Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2022, 07:31 AM   #1

Generator service in 1985 Revcon

When we first looked at this Revcon, the shop was able to get the generator started. When we went back for final pickup, it wasn't working, and wasn't getting spark. No problem, I said, it's probably just plugs or points. The generator is an Onan 6.5NH.

Well, one thing led to another and I decided to just pull the thing and give it a good going-over while it's out. One of the slides on the tray was completely frozen, so I ended up cutting those out for replacement. The rack it's on is also in pretty rough shape, so I'm going to fab up a new one. The insulation in the cavity was also disintegrating, so I tore that out and will replace with a layer of dynamite topped with the dynaliner foam insulation.

So far, I've swapped in new plugs, plug wires, points condenser, coil condenser, air filter, and the carb is soaking in kerosene to loosen up the gaskets to hopefully reuse them since new ones are hard to come by. Once I break that down, the carb and fuel pump will get a good carb cleaner bath.

I also ran into some rot on one side behind the tray slide, so I need to patch that up before installing the slides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220325_171831188.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	360372   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220325_195055160.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	509.1 KB
ID:	360373  

Name:	PXL_20220325_200833526.jpg
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	360374   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220326_012003362.jpg
Size:	537.2 KB
ID:	360375  

sploke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2022, 07:36 AM   #2

The carb didn't actually look too bad inside so far, we'll see how the bowl looks once I get it opened up. The gaskets on top where the intake attaches had basically turned to mush though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220326_032126925.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	360378   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220326_032252854.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	360379  

Old 03-26-2022, 11:26 AM   #3

From the looks of the carb your motor home spent time in cotton wood country. As long as you have the generator out I'd pull some of the shrouding off and blow out the fan and fins.

If you don't have a manual you can probably find it here:

http://www.skilledcrafting.com/onanfiles/
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #4

I went thru that process several yrs ago. Careful with the wiring it can be quite brittle and the clamps..as mentioned above pull the shrouds and clean with CRC cleaner, don't use a abrasive bad things happen. One can Google Smokstack Onan forums. Those guys really know there way around those old GenSets...great HD generators.
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:59 PM   #5

Yeah I've spent a lot of time on Smokstak, I was able to find the service manual for this generator which is a big help.

The fibrous stuff is from the insulation in the compartment falling apart and covering everything in there. I did pull the tins off the jugs, it was surprisingly clean in there.
Old 03-26-2022, 05:54 PM   #6

Currently what I'm struggling with is how to mount the new slides. I could weld them in like the old ones were, but it's been such an ordeal replacing them I'm not sure it's the best option. On the other hand, the first set lasted almost 40 years, so maybe that's a misplaced concern.

Option two would be to bolt them in, but the problem is I don't have ready access to the other sides of each wall. That would entail drilling rivets out of the lower fiberglass panels and peeling them back far enough to get a hand up there to hold nuts while I thread bolts through, then re-riveting the panels back together.

Option three would be riveting them on since that wouldn't require access to the back, but I'm not sure how well I'd trust a 300lb generator being held in with aluminum rivets. Seems like it would fail due to metal fatigue...probably while doing 70 on the highway, with my luck. Anyone have other clever ideas?
Old 03-26-2022, 06:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sploke View Post
Option two would be to bolt them in, but the problem is I don't have ready access to the other sides of each wall. That would entail drilling rivets out of the lower fiberglass panels and peeling them back far enough to get a hand up there to hold nuts while I thread bolts through, then re-riveting the panels back together.

You might want to look at Rivnuts. They are made to deal with exactly the issue you are having where you can only get to one side. Here's a link: https://www.kljack.com/products/m393...5db9a7d936bc8e
There are other brands on Amazon and you might be able to find this one cheaper than the link I provided. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:19 PM   #8

I am no mechanic, but how about tack weld a new sheet of... 1/8th(?) inch steel plate to the side. Then you would have new material to weld the slide onto. Also there are self tapping bolts you could use (as long as the other side is open), just use 'a hundred' of them.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:12 PM   #9

I've always welded slides. IMHO the spacing between moving sections isn't enough for the head of a screw/bolt large enough to support the weight of something like a generator.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:38 AM   #10

Made some goof progress over the weekend, and also got VERY lucky.

I was cutting out the rotted section when I started smelling gas. Careful as I was, I still cut into the hard fuel line running behind the wall. For some reason I thought I had a little more clearance. I honestly don't know how the whole thing didn't blow up in my face, with the sparks flying from the angle grinder. When I smelled it, I immediately stopped cutting, and sure enough, gas was leaking all over the place in there.

I ended up cutting the hard line back under the chassis, installing a SS compression fitting and running a new hard line up into the generator bay. That was super fun, since the line was full of gas, with 100gal in the tank and no shutoff valve. I ended up cutting it back and crimping it closed with some vice grips while I ran to NAPA.

But in other news, I picked up a piece of sheet to patch that side up, got it welded up (after sufficient time to let the gas spill disperse) and got the lower half of the bay painted with undercoating.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuel line 1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	659.2 KB
ID:	360544   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel line 2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	833.7 KB
ID:	360545  

Name:	bay1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	736.4 KB
ID:	360546   Click image for larger version

Name:	bay2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	969.2 KB
ID:	360547  

Old 03-28-2022, 07:42 AM   #11

I also did some more mulling and reading about attaching the slides. I'm going to rivet them after all. I found some 1/4" stainless rivets, and I figure using 6 per side should be plenty strong enough to keep things in place. Once those come in the mail, I'll get the slides mocked up, attached, and then I can start fabbing the new rack to hold the generator. I picked up some unistrut remnants over the weekend that will make a good rack, plus a piece of sheet aluminum to mount under the rack as a new splash guard to hopefully keep all the road junk out of the bay.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:59 PM   #12

Red face My Bad...

Re-reading your 1st post and I guess you had the intention of adding the layer of sheet metal, so my suggestion was off.
But you mention adding the aluminum to the rack, not enough that it would hinder the cooling airflow I hope.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Re-reading your 1st post and I guess you had the intention of adding the layer of sheet metal, so my suggestion was off.
But you mention adding the aluminum to the rack, not enough that it would hinder the cooling airflow I hope.
No, I'll cut a hole where the flywheel fan scroll outlet is. The aluminum will be there along the bottom mainly as a splash guard. Once I have the rack in place I'll figure out how to mount it with standoffs to make sure there's plenty of room for airflow around it.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:41 AM   #14

Accuride makes two different types of drawer slides. I'd be inclined to weld in some angle iron where the old slides were. The buy the Accuride slides that are made for underneath the drawer, rather than ones that are for the sides of the drawer. This will allow you to screw to the angle iron and not really have the screws carrying my load.

My old Onan was grossly neglected by me, but seemed to run great forever. I put new points and plugs in it when I first bought it. A few years later I tighten the head bolts. Other than an occasional oil change, I pretty much ignored it. They seem to tolerate a lot of neglect, although I do understand the hand bolts should be checked every couple of years. Seems crazy head bolts would loosen up, but in that motor that do.

Tags
generator, service