Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #18565

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Mom Robin has been hiding the babies. Sitting and watching her yesterday and she was bringing food. A quick look showed some downy birds in the nest. Now I am on crow patrol. For some reason there are a lot of crows in the area this year. Will be keeping an eye on the nest for predators as much as possible.

Nice day yesterday but about 10 pm a front moved through. High winds and a bit of rain and then it was past. Supposed to be nice today but not quite as warm as yesterday.

Have a wonderful day.

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #18566

Damon Owners Club
Looking for information

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
Welcome to the Wild Bunch michael , what in particular kinda info are you looking for ?

Thanks Popeye,
Believe it or not, I cannot find what model I have. There are several possibles. I know this is not the thread for it, but here is what I know.
It is a 1993 Damon Challenger with a Chevrolet P-30 Chassis and a 454 engine. 31 ft long.

It seems to me that there would be a website that I could go to and punch in the vin number and find that information out, but I have not found it as of yet.

The generator was stolen out of it years ago I guess, so I will be looking for a replacement, but want to figure out what was in there originally before I purchase something that is under powered or does not fit/breathe good.

I am new to the world of RV's, so there is much that I do not know.

Thanks for the interest! Any direction or suggestions are appreciated.
Mike
MichaelinMn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:02 PM   #18567

michael

I don't remember seeing any Damon forums here though there might be comments about them on some of the other ones.
There IS a forum for those Chevy chassis though , this link should get you there
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/

I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of this bunch have experience with
specific questions about your Damon and other problems/issues with your rig ?

Give it a while before you wander off or just hang out if it feels like home...
A huge amount of experience and RV repairs are frequently diagnosed/solved by the group here...
Old 06-13-2020, 08:50 PM   #18568

Dometic 2510 refrigerator repair.

Dh had to replace the plastic spring pins in the freezer door. The freezer door sealed up properly. When you opened it up it flopped down. He brought me home the broken and cracked part to show me the failure. Found the same fridge for $2,000!! What a rip off!! I could buy one for the house at that price. Nice of utube to have a tutioral on this repair. DH said it wasn't quite as easy as they showed it. The old HiLo had the same repair. Parts are crazy expensive. $200.00 for a new freezer door. When this refrigerator needs replacement I will save it for parts.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:00 PM   #18569

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee is good today!

"Believe it or not, I cannot find what model I have. There are several possibles. I know this is not the thread for it, but here is what I know.
It is a 1993 Damon Challenger with a Chevrolet P-30 Chassis and a 454 engine. 31 ft long."

Mike, is your Damon 30 amp or 50 amp? Do you have one or two roof top A/C's? That will determine what size generator you need!
A 30 amp coach would come with a 4000/5000 watt generator.
A 50 amp coach will come with a 6000 watt or bigger generator!
You have a gas motor so a gas generator is what you need! Stay away from the propane/gas generators, as they use a lot of propane, and it is a pain to have to look for propane all the time!
I am guessing that you have a 30 Amp coach, 1 roof A/C, and your MH came with a Onan brand generator!
You can look for a used RV generator on all the usual sites like CL, traders, and online! The lower the hours the better! And make sure it runs and makes power before buying!
Damon is the maker of your MH, Challenger is the model.

Gordon, watch out for those crows, they are sneaky! And snakes too!

WD, you back in the "corn patch"?

Ann, you could check with a local 3D printer place and see if they can make one up for you!

Harvey, we are waiting for some progress on the barndo? The summer is going to get away from you!

Curtis, glad you are healing up, take nice and slow!

Popeye, enjoy the nice weather, and hope you get to give your mom a big hug soon!

Seeing updates from Lloyd and his brother on FB, and they are having a good time looks like!

Everyone have a great day! Rail!
Old 06-14-2020, 04:39 AM   #18570

Coffee is done brewing. 43° with clear skies this morning. Heading to 71° with lots of sun all day. Good report for Sassy. Muffin at 15 years old is showing her age. The Rainbow Bridge is in the future. I am not ready. Helped neighbor move a Play Thing with my tractor. He is happy that it is off his honey do list.
GD and GS are coming over today. Too help with a couple of projects and spend time with me.
I live in one of the hot CoVid19 area's. Lucky for me it on the outer edges of Metro Detroit. I get sights like couple times a week.

MichaelinMn.

Ann, not much help to you on the fridge part. We always stopped in Elkhart IN. on our way home from our winter trip. To find RV parts at the many RV surplus places around the area.

Gordon, I look in the robin nest in my lean to. Babies are gone. Hope they are all out getting warms out of the lawn.

Harvey, honey do list always come before Harvey's list.

Prayers and best wishes for everyone.

Good Morning All.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:14 AM   #18571

https://youtu.be/nrivehtbLTE This is how iron tires were made back in the day.

the wagon in Rons picture has rubber tires. The term tire came from the iron ring fitted over the wooden wagon wheel.

Any of the old gearheads who have changed out the starter ring on a flywheel on their hot rod understand how the process works.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #18572

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Cloudy and overcast today. Rain last night. I missed the thunder boomers and lightning but Janet said it woke her. About an eighth of an inch in the gauge.

Welcome Mike. Good to see you here. Lots of very good guys on the forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions. This thread has lots of talent for fixing things. Stan knows motorhomes very well and I believe has travelled every far and wide and remembers every road and restaurant!

Robin is doing well. More action happening daily. Starting to see heads above the top of the nest. Second robin showed up so pop must of been hanging out of sight.

Trying to figure out how to take a GPS file and transfer to a new GPS. Not familiar with the new operating system but a couple hours and it should be completed. Keep getting distracted. More focused today.

Looked at the garden and it is due for another weeding. Potatoes did not come up well. Could replant but no seed available, everything sold out. Will have a few hills.

Have a great day.

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #18573

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Mike, is your Damon 30 amp or 50 amp? Do you have one or two roof top A/C's? That will determine what size generator you need!
A 30 amp coach would come with a 4000/5000 watt generator.
A 50 amp coach will come with a 6000 watt or bigger generator!
You have a gas motor so a gas generator is what you need! Stay away from the propane/gas generators, as they use a lot of propane, and it is a pain to have to look for propane all the time!
I am guessing that you have a 30 Amp coach, 1 roof A/C, and your MH came with a Onan brand generator!
You can look for a used RV generator on all the usual sites like CL, traders, and online! The lower the hours the better! And make sure it runs and makes power before buying!:
I replied before, but do not see it, so if this shows up twice, I apologize in advance.
Thank you! Yes, I only have one rooftop A/C unit, so it looks like I am in the market for an Onan 4000/5000 watt generator :-) I appreciate the insight on it also, I would not have thought about the propane issues until you mentioned them.
I finally got some photos put into my profile along with a shot of the vin number and possible model info?

There are so many possible model numbers on this unit that are all 31 ft Damon Challenger motor homes. They are: M-3100-Chevrolet, M-310-Chevrolet, M-310-MTL-Chevrolet, M-311-MTL-Oshkosh-190, M-311-MTL-Spartan-190, M-311-Oshkosh-190, M-311-Spartan-190, and M-3150-Chevrolet.
My guess is that with a little knowledge, many of these can be easily eliminated as possibles. Knowledge that I lack at this point :-)

Thanks again!
Mike
MichaelinMn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #18574

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good morning all,

Well the Sonoran Desert Museum had a soft opening this morning. All employees and volunteers were allowed in with their families prior to tomorrows re-opening to the public. Things have changed considerably for us "greeter" volunteers. Masks of course and no touching or hand shaking. Just give general knowledge and basic "how to get there's."

I start back on my shift next week on Thursday. Kinda looking forward to it as I miss talking with people but also sort of worried because of the throngs of folks that come to the museum.

Harvey I watched the Engels Coach Works video. Very interesting. For those that want to skip to the metal working start the video about 16:20.

It is hot here in Tucson. It's been in triple digits for over a week and no break in sight. The Bighorn Fire has been within 6 miles of us a few days ago. It has now consumed almost 16,000 acres of desert scrub. It has filled the valley with smoke and health officials say that those with lung problems should stay inside. This has been a very serious threat to the area. Catalina State Park is shut down and we have had many rolling evacuations depending on where the fire moves with the wind. We have single digit humidity and it is making this very hard for the smoke jumpers to manage. After almost ten days, we are only 11% contained.

As you can see the terrain in the Catalina's is really rugged.

Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #18575
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie and Martha View Post
As you can see the terrain in the Catalina's is really rugged.
Thanks for the photos.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #18576

Temp 62* , didn't feel like we made it over 70 ?

Pertly cloudy and good orb presence but , it "Ain't" 4th of July yet Chummy !

Wow Charlie !
That one with the saguaros and burning mtns is amazing

michael
The ones answering you are what we call the CLACers.
Can't Leave It Alone Club.
You're in good hands , better than Allstate any day !

Ann
I agree,,
Elkhart is your cure.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:21 AM   #18577

Waiting for first to cup of coffee to cool enough to drink. 45° with clear skies this morning. Heading to 77° with lots of sun. Grand Kids were great yesterday. House is clean and pond waterfall leaks are fixed and everything back together. Today is going to be a conserve energy day.

Charlie, great pictures.

Popeye, if you need any extra warmth later this week. Looks like I am going to have lots of extra to send your way.

Everyone be safe and healthy.

Good Morning All.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:30 AM   #18578

52* this am. Much like yesterday for the rest..
Thx RonJH , I'll take it , all of it ! or the bunny dies.

4th of July will take forever !!!............