Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2020, 07:03 AM   #18677

65* start and 75* an hour later,,,,rut row raggie !
Another perfect day !!!!!!!!

I'm neck deep in my solar box today , Mr. Persnickety redoes the temp. wiring till it looks like it was made by a machine...
It's a curse I tell ya !

Curtis
Awesome way to start your day !
Ride On ! Bet you missed that the most !!!

(we're gonna need a separate thread on bucket truck tales ?)

Well , I guess you got your quota on those cutters
I have some side cutters , nice enough....but not Klines .
My master buddy bought me a pair of them and some nut drivers too (ARRRR!) but I took the old ones in his belt and slipped the Klines in while he wasn't looking....he filled in all the holes in my AC brain storage division. I've been sparkin' since I was 10 or 11.So there weren't many clues missing . But they were kinda important 3ph delta was one I recall ..
(My Fluke is a model 23 that was in his dead junk pile...I looked at it and used my tron brain , fixed it ,,he went "well sonofa !" and gave it to me )
And it only took half a coffee break to get all the clues I needed.
He thought he was lucky to have me on the crew ,,,I thought that twice as much about him...
His name was Bob , I called him Newt He kept testing the gravity theory dropping stuff from the bucket on me when it was his turn....

RonJH
77* now shut it off , shut it off !

I know , Harv and Paul are laughing at mt puny 77*

But the sea temp dropped back down one to 59* yesterday so it's the difference thing ya know....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #18678

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Another day of showers. Going to hook up the lawn mowers in case there is a window. Enough moisture we are cutting about every 5 days.

Chased a deer off out of the garden a couple days ago. Looked out yesterday and he trimmed some of our trees. Janet is not pleased with the trimming on one of her favorites. She also said a word that would get me in Moderator prison if I posted it when I told her that the beets and swiss chard were trimmed as well. Fortunately there was no damage to the watermelon or brussel sprouts or we would be considering venison for dinner.

Took the bird nest down yesterday and washed the bird crap off of the patio stones. It was fun watching the birds grow up.

Have a great day.

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:04 AM   #18679

Coffee is done brewing. 57° with clear skies this morning. Heading to 85° with lots of sun. Got some work done on barn door. Added a third hinge to each door. Since I am doing the repair myself. I can now open door and repair/remove lower hinge and repair wood part of door. A project taking way longer than I planned on. Weatherman calls for 80 to 90° temperatures for next 10 days. With little chance of rain. Gardens still need weeding.

Popeye, you are supposed to be putting that extra warmth in boxes for later in the year when it is needed.

Gordon, I have gardens and plants that it does not matter if deer eat them. My neighbors do a constant fight to save their gardens, trees and flowers. I have a new problem. Hawk is roosting on my barn every day. I think it could do hurt to 8 lbs Sassy. It is about 25" tall.

Curtis, enjoy the ride.

Prayers and best wishes to everyone.

Good Morning All.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:41 AM   #18680

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Coffee is done brewing. 57° with clear skies this morning. Heading to 85° with lots of sun. Got some work done on barn door. Added a third hinge to each door. Since I am doing the repair myself. I can now open door and repair/remove lower hinge and repair wood part of door. A project taking way longer than I planned on. Weatherman calls for 80 to 90° temperatures for next 10 days. With little chance of rain. Gardens still need weeding.

Popeye, you are supposed to be putting that extra warmth in boxes for later in the year when it is needed.

Gordon, I have gardens and plants that it does not matter if deer eat them. My neighbors do a constant fight to save their gardens, trees and flowers. I have a new problem. Hawk is roosting on my barn every day. I think it could do hurt to 8 lbs Sassy. It is about 25" tall.

Curtis, enjoy the ride.

Prayers and best wishes to everyone.

Good Morning All.
Ron don’t even go there! I’ve seen hawks eat chickens alive and the thought of one grabbing Sassy is a nightmare we don’t want to think about.

We’re back into the little chances of rain cycle. The two to three inches we got last week or so sure got the grass and weeds excited and we’ve finally got that mowed down. Temps in the nineties with feel likes in the low hundreds for the next week or so.

I do love your photos.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:22 AM   #18681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
It sure is a small world. My Dad (CMSGT E-9) was stationed at Norton AFB @ San Bernadino back in the late 60's early 70's.

Since I was in my last year of High School My Senior Year was a Pacific HS. Class of 69.
Graduated and went to College at SBVC. Was a DJ while in College there to earn race car money. Riverside Raceway was my second home with my buddies.

I left Berdoo in June of 71 and came home to our Family's Home Base of Fort Worth, TX. Still near Cowtown.
I was born at Carswell. Mom & Dad retired in 74 and moved in with me in my efficiency apt in Hurst.

Been back 3 times to San Bernadino and even drove by our old home on 38th street near Del Rosa St. Still looks the same only you can actually see the mountains behind the house. A rare sight when I lived there.

I enjoyed living there, mainly for the racing, but the smog was hard on me because of my asthma.

Made my living in outside. Tried Office Jobs and just couldn't hack it. Tried warehouse jobs but found myself sneaking outside the doors every chance I got.

Then I got on with the Power Company and found where I belonged. We rarely worked on the same piece of ground more than a few days iin a row. Always outdoors, in the heat, rain, snow and wind. I LOVED IT! Love working up high and on "hot" high voltage wires! Because it was not a job many could do. The view from my "Office" was always a special thing for me.

36 years and I got too old to work poles anymore. (As a Technician I worked out of a bucket truck mostly) But still, the heat took it's toll on my old body. Along other damage from the "on the job" accidents. It was a dangerous way to make a living.
Getting outside and working hard in the heat is getting harder for me too!

Got the air conditioner in my Off Road truck working again. Took 3 times longer than it used to. Somehow "Dawn to Dusk "isn't in my vocabulary anymore. Honestly, I don't miss those day that much........

Ya'll have a good day. Gotta run.
Curtis lived uptown in Berdoo. We lived in a trailer park down by Norton next to a small dairy. I also went to Pacific, quit end of first semester senior year and went into the Army, never did get a high school diploma. I was at Pacific and a sophomore when Kennedy was shot. I remember all of us stumbling around the quad trying to figure it all out, still haven’t.

I was sitting in the belly of a C123 on cargo in 67 heading up north in country. I think there was five or six of us hitching a ride stretched out among the pallets. One soldier stared at me a little more than was comfortable. I was about to introduce myself when he volunteered a “you went to Pacific didn’t you? I thought so” followed my affirmative. Small world. Keep in mind the graduating class of 66 was 1,100 minus one.

69 there was two places where Berdoo had serious racing. Quarter milers met and split out for contests from E street. It was bumper to bumper strut and teen stuff just about every night of the week. Saturdays were something else, a car show with girls and good times. Roundy round racing was at the quarter mile oval at Orange Show, paved track. Dirt roundy rounders went to Corona Raceway where the shoes from Ascot raced on Friday nights and Corona Saturdays.

Middle seventies I was working for GTE in Perris and managed to never miss having something to do at the Riverside Raceway when SCORE had an event. Early eighties the track was an event on the Grand Prix schedule for me. Grand Prix racing was 90 minute motos of off road racing motorcycles with 50% dirt and 50% asphalt. My ride was a Yamaha 465. She would scoot. Too short of an inseam to have the toes touch the ground astraddle her but she would always start on the first kick on the starting line. 300 or so bikes lined up with riders standing behind their bikes, hand on their helmeted head and the other on the seat of the bike. Several hundred feet away they would drop the green banner and it was jump on the bike, start it, and get to the narrow chute a thousand feet away before the crowd. Banner drops, come over the top and grab the clutch as the right foot landed on the kick starter, left foot lifting lever into 2nd gear, right hand twisted tight and clutch was released, hold on for dear life and then nail that chute at speed.

Now that was fun.

I had went to desert motorcycle racing after suffering from lack of funds to be successful at racing quarter mile, half mile, and figure eights at Corona Raceway. Figure eights were my favorite. Wildest race was junker teams with tow chains. Track champion drove a 63 Chrysler with a 413. I was 20 ft back in a 62 Comet with a dead motor, chain kept us together, 11 teams in all, and there was the intersection. There’s living and dying and sometimes it can happen in the same lap.

January of 69 they took me down to Long Binh for the ride home. There I saw the new Pelican bucket trucks lined up for duty. I had to laugh. We had got the job done without electric hooks. 7+ years later I had a 67 Chevy just like them shooting trouble for GTE.

We lost more 36C’s and 36E’s (linemen and splicers) to power than Charlie in Nam. In towns sometimes we would place cable above existing power lines. One of my buds lost his life in Bien Hoa sneaking by the power to get to the cable in 68. He had extended for an early out and it cost him his life. He was dead before he landed out in the street. You always touched anything with the back of your hand before grabbing it because it could be hot.

Sorry for the tripping down memory lane. I was once a pistol in a world of long guns.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:25 AM   #18682

My office cubicle where I made my living.
This is the small one. In my business you work your way up from the big double buckets with a bunch of people, to the big single bucket (still a lot of pepole watching and helping)then if you are really good you get promoted to one of these and you work alone.

This was taken in Arkansas during an ice storm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190927_112355.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	291203  
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:53 PM   #18683

Good evening all!

3,340 ft of fence painted this weekend. Tough job, lots of flower gardens, rock gardens etc. that needed to be covered protecting from overspray. Spent a ton of time tarping. Add that to the high humidy and temps it was a tough run.

Big T strom came thru this evening. Dumped 2"" of rain in a hour. No mowing tomorrow, things are now soggy.

Turned on the A/C in the shop this evening. Gonna try and get my flail mower back together tomorrow. Think I have all the parts needed to make it run well.

Have a good night!
Old 06-28-2020, 08:58 PM   #18684

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning everyone! Coffee is very good today!

RonJ, that is a red tail hawk, and yes he can take a small dog, so running him off is a good idea! They are usually after ground squirrel's and rabbits, mice and rats! Get some fireworks, and that will tell him to relocate!
We had some outside cats i kept in the garage to keep the mice down, and they had kittens, and one day i was watching them play, running and chasing each other from the front screened in porch, and they were climbing up the lean-to posts, and getting up on the roof of the garage! All of a sudden, a owl swooped down, and those little kittens scattered, fast! I got the 20 gauge double barrel and fired off a shot in the general direction of that owl on his second pass, and did not see him again! We also had the red tail hawks, but they never went after the cats or our small dogs, so i left them alone! That owl was a different story tho!

Popeye, enjoy the good weather! Go to your second fishing hole, as the first choice is compromised by bridge jumpers!

We have a very clear blue sky this morning, as all the rains have put out all the fires of the farmers burning off the sugar cane and the rice fields! Nice to have clean air to breath, and not all the smoke! And can see the mountains from our upstairs back porch!

Everyone have a great day! Rail!
Old 06-28-2020, 10:00 PM   #18685

Projects coming along nicely.

Got the carpet shampooed in the truck. DH left the windows cracked for more drying. The truck is parked between two houses in a very tight spot. Had to wake DH up to shut windows as we had a thunderstorm/rain. His next project is spot welding the grate to the bottom of the metal utility trailer. Then spray paint any rusty areas. I need to vaccum the vinyl siding where the spiders have left webs. Then some power washing. Won't mind getting wet on a 80* day. Take care all. Ann
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:24 AM   #18686

First cup of coffee has been poured. 57° with clear skies this morning. Heading to 87° with a few clouds. Got barn door repair done yesterday. Need to caulk and prime it today. Getting ready to paint whole barn. Neighbor wants some wood chips moved. Seat time on tractor. Then back in house out of the heat.
Barn is 70 years old.

Lloyd, that is a lot of painting. Hope you have a rest day planned after flail mower repair.

Ann, power washing on a hot day can be very refreshing.

Rail, I am keep an eye out for all big birds. A large metro park 2 mile west of me has Eagles and is now trying to get Osprey to make it their home.

Popeye, starting to wish I had boxed up some of last winters cool.

Harvey, got 1" rain the other day. But it has not helped grass or gardens.

Curtis, bucket lift is what I need for barn painting.

Everyone be safe and healthy.

Good Morning All.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:16 AM   #18687

It was 63*last night , it's 63* now and predicted high temp....63* It's been raining all night , still raining now and predicted to rain all day and through tomorrow too. Quack quack.

Think it is laundry day. Rinsing on the line and never ending buckets of water for washing.
I never go to the laundromat cuz of the "requirement" these days of detergent and fabric softener being so full of perfumes which this pirate is allergic to and paying 3 times to wash (2 times with nothing in the machine just to rinse the leftover perfume that never leaves after a normal cycle ,, ...my method does leave something to be desired in winter though I have to hold my breath and go through the extra cycles then

Rail
I don't need the fish for food and the kids are fun to watch
The larger jumpers are too , they go deeper and find the rocks !

I can tell them exactly where those rocks are but I'm not always there and sometimes too distracted by fishing to care !!! The ambo crew is busy enough so I try to warn if possible ...
BUT !
I def never tell where the rocks are where I'm fishing cuz the lost lures are an important part of my fishing experience ,,,,,,,at low tide ! Bein' a pirate and all....
Plus when a little one shows up at low tide and can't fish , I teach 'em about fishin' fer the lures ! The last one went home with about $25 worth and will never look at low tide the same for the rest of his life ! The huge smile was a big payoff for me.

Fishin' secrets aren't all about the big one ya know.......

It's more about the spot than the catching for me anyhoo.

RonJH
With a barn like that you should have plenty of room for those boxes of weather ????? both warm and cold. My little class C is a bit low on storage capacity.

Curtis
Looks like a perfect office to me !
Can't beat that air conditioning with a view
Old 06-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #18688

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
We are in a rainy period for the next few days. I am guessing the Tuesday golf is going to be postponed until Friday.

Weeded the garden before the rain storm yesterday. Apparently deer like peas as well. Most of the pea vines were missing the tops.

I am going to transplant some rhubarb to the neighbors if I get a chance today. He claims he cannot get it to grow. I helped him transplant some a couple years ago and he is correct. Three plants did not take. I thought it was something we did but I found that his kids pick each spear as it grows. Will give them some suggestions after the new transplants are in.

Have a great day.

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #18689

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post

Charlie, hope they get the fires under control soon.
As of 5pm tonight the fire had consumed over 107,000 acres now at 45% containment. It keeps creeping back towards us. We can see the top of the Catalina's burning again. Wind today has been 30-35 mph sustained and 45-50 mph gusts. The aircraft worked on the fire a bit this morning but this afternoons winds have stopped air assaults on the fire.

The good news is that it was only 100* today, that gave the fire crews a bit of a break.

We are headed to Suguaro East again tonight for sunset. We ordered really great Vietnamese food tonight for dinner. Dang it was good.

Y'all keep safe.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:48 PM   #18690

Never made it out to power wash.

DD new aide came over for four hrs. Ended up helping out with the bedroom clean up. Will take lots more hrs. to get it under control. Spent a lot on the phone getting a medical bill straightened out. Where i usually go for Medical supplies won't take my ins anymore. Had to call my ins. co for a referal. I hope the place closest to my house works out. We have exterior lights on all four sides of our house. The big sodium light on the driveway side attracts a huge amt. of spider webs. Our house is 2&1/2 stories high. I should buy some scaffolding for DH. Something else to store. The siding get so bad you could power wash twice a year. Having vinyl siding is not maintenance free!! Some one lied about that statement. Stay safe All. Ann
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote