Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2020, 04:43 AM   #18691

Drink first cup of coffee. 57° with clear skies this morning. Heading to 88° with plenty of sun. Got caulk and some primer on barn doors yesterday. Need to make a trip Menards for some more caulk today. Never got to moving wood chips for neighbor. She was not home. But he needed help putting up a ceiling fan. Need to remind myself to not buy a Harbor Breeze Fan. What a pain to install. The Hunter that I put up over the winter was able to be done by me with no help. Garden weeding and more barn priming on list today.

Charlie, sure hope they get fire under control soon. My sister that lives in Green Valley say they can see the fire at night.

Gordon, not a fan of Rhubarb. My wife liked it. I finally convinced her that it was time to get rid of the patch previous owner had in yard. Took several years to get it to stop growing.

Popeye, I opened loft doors yesterday. Let the heat in. Closed doors before sun down. Will see if I can use it next winter.

Ann, I use Wet and Forget to clean my siding. Works very well to only require one cleaning a year on house and garage.

Everyone be safe and healthy

Good Morning All.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 05:01 AM   #18692

Heat wave today ...65* ! That's 2 more than yesterday

C'mon July 4th....

RonJH
Good plan , where are you going to store the cold air next winter ?
Compress it and put it in the freezer !

Ann
But you didn't have to scrape , prime , caulk and paint too much so "it's a wash"

C&M
hard to imagine there's enough fuel there in the desert to keep a fire burning so looooooooooooooooooooonggggggggggg

I remember the mesquite smoke at Christmas time ...It seemed pleasant then....

Gordon
Kids will do that ya knowwwwwwwww.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:39 AM   #18693

I have a bucket truck brush fire story. Foothills between Perris and Quail Valley California I was toodling along in the Pelican 67 Chevy bucket truck when I noticed a wisp of smoke ahead of me curve or three away. “WLR25 this is 6038 stand by for fire report”. I was a trouble shooter for GTE so I had a radio. I came around the curve and there was a small fire in a canyon inside the curve about the size of Ron Hall’s barn. A mile or so later I exited the foothills coming into Perris and there was a line of fire trucks coming at me. Next morning when I got to work I found out the fire had burned something like 600 acres by the time they got it out that evening.

I had quit GTE in 76 and then rehired in 78. I quit again less than 90 days later for the same reasons I quit the first time. Their box had corners. I don’t do well with box corners.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:41 AM   #18694

Good morning all!

72* and mostly cloudy, headed for 87* partly sunny. Low humidity today, by afternoon only 57%. That is low for around these parts.

Got the Flail back together but no go. Looks like water got in the PTO shaft, and it won't slide in to a short enough length to connect to the tractor and have enough play. It is 2 peaces of triangle shaped tubing that telescope inside each other. I think I could use a electric drill with a small wire wheel and clean the inside, however my drill bit extension which I have not used in years, won't open up. One of two set screws is so tight it stripped the allen head. So off to Lowes this am to purchase a new drill bit extention.

I did not measure, however having it partially hooked up to the tractor it looks like it is going to be very nice, there is a good bunch of offset,

Have a great day all.

L.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:44 AM   #18695

Alpine Owners Club
Good morning everyone!!

Yes it is going to be over 100* again here in Lake Havasu City, AZ but...........we're heading for the mountains on Friday for 3 weeks and we are so excited......looking forward to campfires and long sleeves again

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:49 AM   #18696

Enjoy the mountains Paul. Go easy in the heat getting there!

L.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #18697

Gulf Streamers Club
Monaco paint in progress

I'm working on it.

ron and pebbles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monaco taped for paint.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	291550  
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #18698

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone! Coffee good today!

Ron, looking good so far!
Get lots of practice, and you can slip up to Wes's and take care of Mona too! Free spot, meals, all materials, everything!:c ool:
:whist ling:

I have owned two bucket trucks, both wore out, pieces of crap, but they worked good enough to get done what i wanted on that old 100 year old Victorian farm house, that was 3 stories tall! It had 4"cedar siding, that was all grey and chalked, and paint would not stick to it! So did some research and found this expensive "paint shaver" from PA. that a couple of inventive guys designed and got the patent on! It was a right angle grinder with this cup attachment with 3 cutting blades, and it worked fantastic! You did have to go ahead of it and set all the nails, as it would rip them out and break the brittle siding! It shaved the flat side of the siding board, and the under side of the board on top at the same time! It sent paint chips and a thin layer of those cedar siding flying, but when finished, (took most of the summer, evenings and weekends) the house looked like it had brand new cedar siding put on it!
Then all it took was a solid body latex stain, and it is still looking great, been 20 or more years now! The bucket truck made it so much easier to do that job, that's for sure! The first was a 1964 Chevy old power co truck, with a telescopic boom, and i had to replace most of the hydraulic lines, and many parts on that old girl, but it did get the job done!
The second was a Telephone Co truck that came from the Queens, NY It had a knuckle boom and i went in partners with a Dr. friend of mine, who has and was restoring a big old Italianate house in Decatur! It had a Onan generator that powered the bucket and supplied 110V power in the bucket so you did not have to run the engine of the truck like in the first truck!
The truck was like new, had only 17,000 miles on it, as it spent all of its life in the Queens! The body was dented, and beat up, but it drove and ran like a new truck! We drove to Upstate Pa. to get it, and drive it back to Illinois! It was so carbon'd up, when up to 50mph or so, it would buck and snort, backfire, black smoke pouring out of it! And it got about 5mpg! We ran a load of fuel cleaner, injector cleaner, gas treatment at every fill up, and it slowly got better, and by the time we got it home, it was running like a top!
They both had the utility body's with all kinds of storage!
Ask me about bucket truck stories at the next campfire, i got quite a few!

Everyone have a great day! Rail!
Old 06-30-2020, 09:49 PM   #18699

Maintaining siding.

Never heard of wet and forget. Where do you get this.? We wet the siding down then I spray with a cleaner called Korkay. Next DH uses our long handled soft bristle car was brush. Rinse and do any residual spots. Korkay is a local cleaning product that I purchase from our RV dealer. It is a no rinse cleaner that has many uses. Just picked up two gallons of this. Popye DH told me the story about hanging out the attic window and hanging with one hand. The other had was applying paint. This was before we got married. Glad we have Good Anderson windows that don't need to be painted. Went to Harbor Freight for scaffolding. As usual they were out of stock. Next stop HD. Wow!! expensive for exterior scaffolding. Something like $600.00 to $800.00 for all the parts. Decided to purchase interior scaffolding for $170.00. I don't want DH up on ladders at 74yrs. old. Not worth a broken body part. He did a beautiful job of touching up the black paint on the metal utility trailer. My job is to see if he missed any areas. Supervisor status. Having to have our central air on. Sunday is going to be 87*. We wait all winter for good weather and then we complain about it!! Take care all. Ann
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:27 PM   #18700

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ann, before the bucket trucks, i used the ladder's and ladder jack with a walk board, takes two extension ladders and the walk board, and the walk board attachments that hook onto the ladders! Rail! Might check with the local rental places to see if they rent them!
https://www.google.com/search?q=ladd...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 06-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #18701

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Good evening gang,
Lookin' good RonS, it's a lot of work but it'll be fabulous. Just FYI, I found that the yellow Frog Tape works wonderfully for sharp lines between colors. Can't beat that stuff.
Rail, you had the right idea with the old bucket trucks. The hell with ladders and scaffolding. I'd like to get a cherry picker lift like I ran in my construction days. JLG, Genie, LULL, and like. It would work great for trimming trees up high, and most anything up high. Those booms on the big ones extend 65 feet! Maybe more on the newest ones out there.
I have a Sky Jack scissor lift I love. I have it in the shop, using it to frame up high, and.....it's great for working on the coach.
Well, I've been beating down the jungle of weeds and grass, it's driving me mad.
The campground grass is growing nicely, the pond is full, and we're getting close to installing electric pedestals. I'm running almost 2 months behind on everything, but what can you do except keep going. I'll post some progress pics soon.
Lloyd, glad you had a good ride!
RonJ, those darn Red Tail hawks is where I think some of my cats went. Keep your dog close and protected, those birds are fast.
Take care all.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:36 AM   #18702

Need to pour first cup of coffee. 59° with clear skies this morning. Heading to 88° with a few clouds in PM. Got weeds cleaned out of gardens. After inspecting barn for what is needed called a local painter that I have used before. He is coming out to give a quote in next few day. Not a good idea for me to be climbing up a 20' ladder. Cut lawn today then some trimming. Still need some weed killer in areas.

Ann, Wet and Forget is available from HD and other big box stores. Works good if you cleaning for mold and mildew. You cans use a 1 to 2 gallon sprayer to put it on. I have an attachment for my power washer to do it.

Electra, I keep a good eye on Sassy.

RonS, MH is going to look good when done with painting. Will need pictures.

Rail, sure wish I had a bucket truck.

Popeye, going to let the heat out of barn today. Forecast calls higher temperatures for the weekend. Might as well store as much heat as possible.

Lloyd, hope the PTO shaft cleaning works. I need to cut my field soon. Still have flail mower on tractor.

Paul, safe trip up north.

Everyone be safe and healthy.

Good Morning All.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:19 AM   #18703

64* and fog to start out an hour ago....65* now and the fog has lifted a bit, still no ORB ! Maybe later....................

RonS

Nice of you to be volunteered to paint Mona too
I didn't see anything about the required Shiner though...
Make sure you get that part in writing

RonJH
Good plan , don't let it be too hot though.
The paint might dry too fast....

Lloyd
Somebody has to say it...
Stop flailing around and fix that thing !

Rail
The campfire tales are always fun..

WD
Those power pedestals are probably kinda important to campers ,,,again , I'm too far away

Sounds like the rest is looking very campy.

Paul
GAIN ALTITUDE ! Your horizon is too high
Old 07-01-2020, 05:22 AM   #18704

Good morning all!

70* and overcast. Headed for 87*. 50% chance of rain today. Rained for about 10 mins yesterday evening.

16 drums of paint to be delivered this afternoon between 3pm and 6pm. I am on standby to unload. That is enough for about 3.6 miles of fence. Keep us busy for awhile.

PTO shaft was the worst task on this rebuild. Very difficult to get the rust out of there and get it sliding freely. However I got it done,,,,,,, 2 1/2 hours later.

Mower works great. Still learning how to operate. Great for around the pond, mulches the clippings and drops them where they are rather than throwing them in the water.

Rons, looks great. Can't wait to see the colors together. Going to be very sharp.

Have a great day all!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200617_125645.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	610.1 KB
ID:	291577   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_161309.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	291578