Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 08:52 PM   #20875
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
No luck fixing brakes yet. Shop had drums turned and put on new shoes. Still shakes coach when brakes applied and steering wheel shakes, pulling back and forth. No change. It sure feels like it is in the front but this is the third try with front drums. New drums put on last two summers. Will call back tomorrow and get another appointment. Coach has drums all around. And air brakes. Is there something with the air brakes that would account for this? I know very little about air brakes.
I know very little about air brakes as well. So, just thinking out loud...

Could there be a kink, or a blockage, in the air lines controlling the front brakes? Water in the line(s)? Rust? Is there a brake relay that has internal rust? Have the air tanks been drained on a regular basis? Has the air drier been serviced regularly?

Again, I know very little about air brakes. YMMV.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 09:02 PM   #20876

Gulf Streamers Club
I have had same problem since new to me. Just worse now. When we went to Maine I had steer tires balanced at shop south of Decatur, Litchfield? Then new steer tires in Maine. Then another balance at alignment shop. Now two new drums on front last two summers and this set of drums turned and new shoes. I really do not know what it could be.

rsp
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:39 AM   #20877

Poured first cup of coffee. 32° with light snow this morning. Heading to 40° with a chance that sun will peak out in afternoon. Flat tire is fixed on tractor. Got nothing else done. No plans for today.
Yesterday's picture was deer seeing Amazon driver walking up my drive.
This little guy likes to pose anytime I get camera out.

Harv, layout looks good.

Everyone stay healthy and safe.

Good Morning All.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:01 AM   #20878

Thank you ronspradley, for responding with the information of where I should start a new thread. I have attempted to post in the Monaco section. I hope it works. Can you tell me how to remove my original post please?
Old 02-23-2021, 04:04 AM   #20879

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi Ron, I haven't seen where you've replaced the brake shoes? When it shakes do you feel it in the steering wheel? Or your seat? Seemingly if you've had the drums replaced twice and it still does it I wouldn't think you'd get two sets bad, also I've seen when someone hurries the cut on the drum it leaves little ridges that can cause trouble. Do you have oil cups on your front bearings or grease packed?
Old 02-23-2021, 04:31 AM   #20880

RonS
Hope you have no leaks back at Rancho Ron.

You sure have put in the effort (and $$$) on that wobble shimmy shimmy shake problem.... with no joy coming back at ya !
If Rail , Terry , Lloyd , Curtis plus everybody else that worked on it don't know........................
I'm NOT a mechanic for anyone but me , and that's probably a good thing. But no luck with them so far so I'm going to troubleshoot tron style......If it's not what everybody is thinking look somewhere else. Broken spring , worn drag link , shocks , weight distribution , a stupid loose bolt ,etc ????? Gotta be SOMETHING !
GYPSY CURSE ??????
I like the camera idea too ^^

RonJH
Did that deer get that fat on BIRD SEED ?
I know the squirrels did.

Lloyd
Wish I was out there too !
Even if I wasn't on the Jeep run....

Gordon ,,, is thawing OUT ?

Harv
You old goat farmer. Sounds like you're having too much fun ??

Curtis
Water plan sounds all wet.

Mr.BoJango
So , what is the problem with your control panel ?

:

i asked Wavey to give today's show bill.
It was a test to see if he had a plan while setting the show up.....

The kid just stood there staring at Mr.Spintastic.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:42 AM   #20881

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ron, forgot to tell you they televise the races, so they'll be video, LOL
Old 02-23-2021, 05:53 AM   #20882

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJango View Post
Thank you ronspradley, for responding with the information of where I should start a new thread. I have attempted to post in the Monaco section. I hope it works. Can you tell me how to remove my original post please?

You are welcome Bo. I see no need to remove original post. You can always ask a Moderator to alter a previous post. They can perform miracles. I have seen them move some posts to a different section of the Forum but in your case I see no harm, no foul. I did not get online until I was 55 years old so I am all analog, not digital. You will do fine and are welcome on this little section of the Forum as are all others. Happy Trails.

rsp

ps............rsp is short for ron and pebbles the wander dog.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:24 AM   #20883

Gulf Streamers Club
Good morning all. Going to be another beautiful day here in Arizona. Yesterday my Monaco coach brakes were worked on again. Thanks for the suggestions on what is causing the shake when applying brakes. Bearings and suspension components were all checked and they seem fine. Regular bearings on front axle, not oil floating. I do not know enough about air brakes to troubleshoot. Is there anything in air brakes that would allow them to pulsate on application?

I have a dash cam that I might be able to hook up to view wheels when applying brakes. I will look into that. It might be possible to spin a front tire when it is jacked up and then apply brakes to see if there is a pulsation. Chocking rear tires of course. Anyone have an off road motorcycle with no rear fender?

Looking today also to see what is making my inverter for the residential refrigerator go off after an hour or so. Today will try and run a direct feed line from house batteries and see if that works.

Time for breakfast. Everyone have a great day. And be safe.

rsp
Old 02-23-2021, 06:46 AM   #20884

brakes

if you have anti lock brakes disconnect them for a test.
rustyrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:01 AM   #20885

RonS
I'm thinking it's a low voltage shut off...your new wires (fatter) could just be the ticket !

If the inverter is any distance from the batteries and the new wires are a no fix try moving the inverter closer to the batt box.
The 120VAC will travel the distance better.

I got nothing after that.....
Good luck Bud , scratches for Wander Dog
Old 02-23-2021, 07:09 AM   #20886

Big Day

Good Morning everyone and God Bless. MH been sitting for the last two month waiting on prep and better weather. Got baseplate on toad and all wiring done. Time to hook things up and go for a test run. Planning on going out for a 100 miles or so for a good evaluation. Suppose to be a little windy today, that should make it interesting and a good learning experience. Got a full tank of gas and might ad a half of fresh water. Buddies going with me to co-pilot. Wish us luck.
jeff0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #20887

Good morning all!!

48* some thin clouds,,, and a breeze. But we are headed for 82*!!

Had a group of RE friends over for dinner last night, good times. Miss all of them. They all liked our park. Can't invite them all in one visit,,, so have more groups scheduled.

So we saw a site here that we found nice looking, sorta a corner site and thought lets stop in the office and find out if it is available. Walked in and just happened to catch Jose the manager. Asked about the site and he said yes it is. Then asked if we would like him to highlite some sites on the map he thinks we might be interested in. All was going well as he marked about a dozen sites then got to one and said "We charge the same for all our sites, this one here is large enough for your trailer and coach!" I asked is that allowed, he confirmed it is and there is no additional charge for storage. We are looking closely at that site as you might imagine.Nice to have enclosed storage on site,,, save $200 a season on storage.

Terry, Oh, back in a race car!! Careful now, race fever is just a ride away!!! We hope someday you and Eleanore get a winter away to play with us here. I just keep finding more places to go and explore. Seems the list never ends! Fun stuff!

I have no clue on Rons brakes. To me it clearly is not the brake drums. No vibration at speed to me eliminates the wheels,,,, has to be something with the shoes are their installation??? Oil soaked into the shoes? You don't suppose a disc brake conversion for the front is available? Why is this so hard. Seems simple but we are missing something.

Vnm safe travels.

Jeff, how did the test drive go! Fingers crossed all went well!

Ron, Popeye may be on to something. Perhaps if you have enough wire you can run a temporary wire just around the outside to prove the theory?

Well have a great day all!!!!
Old 02-23-2021, 08:55 AM   #20888

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Had a great conversation with Lloyd last night before his dinner guests arrived.

Today is the day I am going to cut down some trees. At least that is the plan at the moment. Easily distracted so who knows what I will end up doing!

Just below freezing and predicted to get just above today. A bit cloudy so the temperature will be steady.

No idea what issues could be causing Ron's brakes pulsing. Little experience I have seems to say there is not constant even friction between the drum and the brake pads. Is the drum running true on the axle? With new drums and recently turned the drums should be OK. Reaching here!!! Hope the solution comes quick and economical.

Looking at buying a compact digger. Going to have a bunch of stumps to clean up at various times. Probably cheaper to rent a machine for a week or so but if I can get one at the right price I can do the work at my leisure. Will see what I can find.

Have a great day.

Keep your stick on the ice and your eyes on the goal.