Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2021, 08:04 AM   #21001

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Going to be a very nice day. Predicted to be 12C (54F). Time to get out and get some stuff done. Decided an old crab apple tree needs some trimming. May start that today. Will not take long.

RonJ. You are right. Still to early to rototill. And cold to grease. So will do neither as there is still 8 - 10 inches of wons on the garden. Will not be there long as it looks like there is a bare spot near one corner. Before that will be running the bagger to pick up all of the leaves that fell or blew in from the neighbors yard after we winterized. Going to be a month before that happens.

When I was working in the north I worked with a native fellow who shared how to cook cranes. "Start a big fire and lay in a couple large rocks. Build the fire so the rocks get really hot. When the rocks are hot lay the crane on the rocks in the middle of the fire. Cook the crane on the rocks until the fire burns down. Pull the crane and the rocks out of the fire. Throw the crane away and eat the rocks." Cranes are protected here so was never an an issue. We get huge flocks migrating over us and there is something soothing about listening to their calls as they pass by.

RonS. Sorry about the water heater. If its not one thing its another. Who would of thought it would get that cold? Fingers crossed on the alignment, turning, balancing and whatever else is required to get the "shimmy" out.

Popeye - hope your weather improves shortly and stays.

Happy to hear your back is improving Ann. Hope Lynns is getting better as well. Have not heard whether she went on the gem run yesterday or not but have not checked social media yet.

Still waiting for shower doors to arrive. Nothing as of yesterday. Supply chains seem to have been stretched so far they are somewhat broken.

Have a great day.

Keep your stick on the ice and your eyes on the goal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2021, 04:11 PM   #21002

Gordon
It's just 79 days to june ,and it ain't real summah uptah camp till the 4th of july. yup yup yupyupyupyup
Old 03-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #21003

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gordon, rumour running around the campgrounds is the borders will be open for the 4th of July. Needless we are still planning a move out of this ridiculous taxation before representation province. Is Cochrane near you?

Keep well everyone this can't last forever, can it?
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #21004

Nine more days until the official spring is here.

According to the weather man. My Mr. Chase is shedding lots of fur. This is unusial for him. We brush him with the shedding cat brush. Setting all our clock ahead for Sunday/daylight savings time.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:25 AM   #21005

Poured first cup of coffee. 33° with clear skies this morning. Heading to 45° with plenty of sun. Cannot figout what time I should be using. Some clocks did DST reset no problems other are off by an hour. Hopefully I will get it straightened out by tomorrow morning. Got tools and stuff put away where it belongs yesterday. Need to clean up the floors yet. May get to that today. Maybe some NASCAR in afternoon.

Gordon, I use synthetic grease in everything. Mobil 1 in bearings and Valvoline in bushings. They do not have a problem greasing when it is cold.

Moose, hope border opening is true.

Harvey, you know those Cranes only weigh 10 lbs wet.

RonS, sorry to hear about water heater.

Sam, Sassy is little puffs of hair around house. Thankful Roomba picks it up.

Prayers and best wishes for everyone.

Good Morning All.
Old 03-14-2021, 04:04 AM   #21006

28+38 10 tonight.
cloudy , wind 20 gusting to 30 and rain and or snow......

The rumor that winter might be done is fake news.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:36 AM   #21007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpopeye View Post
28+38 10 tonight.
cloudy , wind 20 gusting to 30 and rain and or snow......

The rumor that winter might be done is fake news.

Trash cleanup gets rid of fake news.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:04 AM   #21008

Morn’, it’s been a great 4 months, back home for 2 weeks, weather is great spring has sprung as the pine tree pollen has graced us with yellow green autos.
Haven’t been home a day yet n chores have piled up in order to leave April 1 for a couple weeks n head up north to see kids n gkids.
Looking at new truck to tow, dodge limited
Selling Jeep n that has gotten good looks at already
Awning switch is intermittent, it stops n goes while coming in n out...I’ll get the guy to look at it
Tilled the garden a few weeks ago, certainly need to clean that up
Started paleo eating a couple weeks ago, lost 5 lbs, I guess if I stopped drinking I’d do better there but progress not perfection
Thanks for looking at the rambling
Safe travels n being
vnm01wer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #21009

RonS If I were a betting man I'd say you have a bad tire. Either it has a flat spot, some tread seperation inside the belt or a serious out of balance issue. Swap your steer tires for a drive tire and see if the vibration shake goes to the rear.

Had this issue with a work truck back in the day. My boss could not be convinced to help me. So I swapped tires on my lunch break and found it. TEhen I drove a big spike in it.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #21010

Gulf Streamers Club
Curtis, this coach has two shake problems. Steering wheel and coach shakes when forcefully applying brakes. And there is a vibration in coach, feels like front, that occurs at 62 and above. On trip from Texas to Maine in 2019 I had steer tires balanced before leaving. Still a vibration. In Illinois while visiting Stan and Jira at Stan's son Wes's place I had steer tires balanced while on coach. Still a vibration at 62+. In Maine I had steer tires replaced and balanced. Still a vibration at 62+. Had steer tires balanced again going back thru Illinois. Like before, balanced while still on coach. Still a vibration at 62+. Going tomorrow to have steer tires balanced and this week will have 8 new shocks installed and have alignment. Then back to shop for evaluation. Still have shake when applying brakes. After front and rear brakes were worked on and tie rod ends replaced.

rsp
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #21011

RonS
That issue(s) is/are sure testing you Ron !
Maybe you should dump some Shiner in the tank ?

This will probably be of zero help but I'll toss it out there..
My old Sportscoach shook above 60mph.
Drag Link.
and...
Does that front end have kingpins ?

I also remember something about greasing that would take up some slack in old parts that are getting worn.

My old truck mechanic told/showed me lots of things like that over the 15 years I had that rig , wish I could remember them better

Keep at it , you'll get that Ah Ha moment , I hope.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #21012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Curtis, this coach has two shake problems. Steering wheel and coach shakes when forcefully applying brakes. And there is a vibration in coach, feels like front, that occurs at 62 and above. On trip from Texas to Maine in 2019 I had steer tires balanced before leaving. Still a vibration. In Illinois while visiting Stan and Jira at Stan's son Wes's place I had steer tires balanced while on coach. Still a vibration at 62+. In Maine I had steer tires replaced and balanced. Still a vibration at 62+. Had steer tires balanced again going back thru Illinois. Like before, balanced while still on coach. Still a vibration at 62+. Going tomorrow to have steer tires balanced and this week will have 8 new shocks installed and have alignment. Then back to shop for evaluation. Still have shake when applying brakes. After front and rear brakes were worked on and tie rod ends replaced.

rsp
Not say it is this, but, If your tires are all the same brand and style. Check the Mfg Date stamp. You may have more than one bad tire. I've seen them come off the line with the belt wraps not done correctly and the tread down't roll in a straight line.

And I've had big trailer tires(more than one) that seperated after 5K miles. The tread is still there but the belts underneath are coming loose under the tread.

You've replaced everything but the Coach and the tires.

The only other thing I've seen hard to diagnose after this many parts thrown at it was a bad "U" Joint.

Since I can't see or drive it, all I can do is offer Free Armchair Diagnosis!
Old 03-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #21013

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ron on the shake above 60 mph I second what Curtis said about a ujoint, we had several in the shop over the years that were not loose but seized up and wouldn't rotate with axle movement, hard to diag because you usually think of a joint being sloppy
Old 03-14-2021, 05:37 PM   #21014
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ron,

Thinking out loud again...

Since this vibration has been there for quite some time and, following up on the u-joint idea, was the drive shaft ever removed/disconnected for some reason? Maybe for a previous u-joint replacement? That is, maybe before you owned it?

Then, it was not reinstalled properly? I have read that there can be a certain orientation while connecting the drive shaft.

DISCLAIMER: I have NO first hand knowledge or training on drive shafts. I just read a lot.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote