Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2021, 08:08 PM   #21015

Okay. I just crawled under Jane to peek at the driveshaft, been a nagging thought in my mind too since we have the same motor and trans even though different chassis and manufacturers.

My driveshaft is about 20" long with monster Ujoints. The best way I have found to check for a problem is having someone stand outside and listen when the trans is engaged into forward and reverse. The "clunk" can be heard easier than felt, unless of course all of the needles are out!!!

But looking at it I could see why overlooking the driveshaft would be easy or even desirable to do.

BTW, back in the day when we ran 1/4 and 1/2 mile cars even though my first love was figure 8 I didn't blink at making my own driveshafts up. I was very lucky because I never used a lathe to true etc. But I never modified a driveshaft for the street. On race cars we had the driveshaft hoops.

BTW II, Tommy Ivo and his four engine drag car visited our high school and he told why they had the drive shaft secured the way they did in their cars. A driver lost the drive shaft, and some how some way the whole rear end rotated. Fatal mistake involving manhood removal and other parts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2021, 02:21 AM   #21016

Good morning

Looking for advice. We have a shed in our backyard. Lots of animals like to go under it for the winter. Lately we have seen two skunks squeeze under our vinyl fence and parade around the back yard. We live in the city and have a small backyard. Our cats are outside cats. My neighbor thinks i should call the SPCA for advice on how to get rid of them. They only deal with cats and dogs. Perhaps they can give me a referal to some place that can help me. Some years ago DH had to repair a section of the wood flooring in the shed. Discovered animals had packed plasrtic bags and caution tape for insulation. Was thinking about digging a trench around the shed and installing an electric fence. We tried some type of crystals when the floor was open. Didn't seem to help keep the critters away. Product from Home Depot. The animals love our yard in the summer time as our garden is their supermarket.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:17 AM   #21017

Drinking first cup of coffee. 17° with clear skies this morning. Heading to 39° with mix of sun and clouds. Yesterday was mostly a conserve energy day. I think today will be one also. Time change has be up way to early. Sassy is happy. Gets her meals an hour early. Like she alway wants.
Crows have been coming by to help clean up areas under feeders.

Ann, in my area there is a company that will come out and remove critters from your property. Home Advisor is one place to search one. Search for Critter Control. If you want to do it yourself. Get a trap like Have a heart. Use peanut butter or lettuce for setting trap. When get one trapped cover trap with a dark cloth. The take it to a new location in back of truck. It's mating season. I will not be long and you will have whole family living under your shed.

Popeye, snow is forecast later this week. Have not taken plow off tractor. Saturday is first day of Spring. It may be sunny. But not warm.

RonS, does the vibration go away when you let off throttle. That will usually tell if it is a drivetrain problem.

Everyone stay safe and healthy.

Good Morning All.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:14 AM   #21018

10 +32 , orby , winds 10-15 gusting to 25kts.
NOT a beach day.......

I gave production the day off , their required 1 day a year.

I snagged the popcorn cart guy to sub.....he went with an open jam..............
One of the headbangers had a "bright" idea , actually banged his head on his drums,,,,,,,dummmy !
The staff nurse said he'll be ok if he switches to slow JAZZ !
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh that will teach him.......nope!

TFTD
Some people drink deeply from the well of knowledge.
Others just rinse and spit.

RonJH ????
Old 03-15-2021, 04:49 AM   #21019

Somebody requested more ,,,,this one is just a jam.. 59 mins.
One of these guys is seriously famous..... can anyone name him without looking at the credits/comments ??
Old 03-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #21020

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Starting to be spring here in a serious mode. Last night was just below freezing and today will just be above. Then it is supposed to be in the 50 and 60 for the forecast period. According to the prognosticators March will end up starting and ending like a lamb.

This morning is overcast and supposed to be windy.

Found a location for the anemometer that should be more accurate. Just have to wait until the ground thaws enough to install a post. Moved the outside temperature sensor to a better location. An that was the extent of my endeavors yesterday.

Now will have to find something to do today!! Going to be throwing a good looking piece of corned beef in the sous vide. 48 hours in a beer and spice medley will prepare it for St Patricks day.

Daylight savings passed almost uneventfully. Always a guessing game which clocks are correct. Turns out some I expected to change didnt and some I did not expect to change did. All are on the same time zone now! P.S - thank goodness for instructions. These things may be intuitive to 4 year olds but not to me. Oops - forgot the clock in the coach. Had to set it to manual because being in a CA campground means it sets CA time. I guess it is set to AZ time at the moment.

Already booked the first campout of the season. Pays to know the managers. Rumors are happening that the border will be open by July 4. Hope it is true. Meanwhile our federal government is being taken to court for mandated hotel quarantines.

Ann - we used to have skunks living on our property. Was OK in that there were no rodents to speak of. Skunks are great mousers. Unfortunately our dog and skunks did not get along and the dog did not learn from any confrontational experiences. After their food source ran out they left. Have not had any on site for a number of years.

Have a great day.

Keep your stick on the ice and your eyes on the goal.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #21021

Good morning all!

55* headed for 75*, partly cloudy windy day ahead.

We are here for 5 more days. Saturday morning looks like we have a caravan headed east to Florence Az for 4 days of Jeeping there. Should be fun.

Ann, after you get the critters out, we enclosed our bottom under the shed with white plastic lattice. It is only a partial fix,,, given some critters prefer to tunnel in anyway. If you monitor it and close up and entrance they make soon, they seem to give up.

Lots of idea's on Ron's coach. Sure hope he gets his brakes sorted out before the caravan Saturday,,,,, or we will make him lead!

On the subject of RonS, yesterdays off-road run got somewhat harder than I remembered. Ron and his tracker just drove thru it all. Such a good driver, with a very well setup tracker! If you are on FB, play close attention to the video's staring Ron and Pebbles.

We have friends arriving later this afternoon from back east. Going to visit for 3 days. Maybe ride with us on the Wednesday Jeep run. They are booked in the site right next to us.

Have a great day all!
Old 03-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #21022

Lloyd
I don't know if I missed it or just can't remember and I've looked at a bunch of backlog pages ....Did you ever post the name of that new park you're at ?,,,,well for a few more days anyhoo.
Sure sounds like a winner

Sounds like you're gonna take the trip home in steps this year ?
In a diminishing caravan ?
Hope the weather is as friendly as the forum for you .
And keep those guardrails away from you too , and I don't mean Stan.

We all know the deal at The Big Texan...welll , I know this ice cream place that does something eerily similar.

RonS
Anxiously awaiting (probably not as much as you are) the exciting conclusion of ...
"the eradication of the shaky ride syndrome".

Terry
The wind finally stopped a little while ago.
I think those tornado things might be getting some funny ideas...we gotta check that , time to lift the stick ! , sorry Gordon.
I'm going to start a petition to build a big Tornado Deflection Wall from Erie to Philly.......
Old 03-15-2021, 04:13 PM   #21023

Gulf Streamers Club
Hello everyone. Made our last Sunday run on the desert trails yesterday, Lloyd leading. Had a lot of fun, beautiful scenery and a few challenges and obstacles thrown in. Beautiful day, sunny and mid 70's today.

Took coach and had steer tires balanced this morning. No difference in bounce. Since I was near I drove by diesel repair place to check on when shock install was scheduled. Found out they did not order shocks Friday. Or today. Turns out they could not find a cross reference for the Monroe 66871 on there now. Wanted to guess with Bilsteins for $140 each. 8 times. When I got back to park I checked online iRV2 and found a thread that said Monroe 555014 was a replacement. $50 each on Amazon. Gave that info to shop. They are supposed to call me back. Will see what kind of markup they have. Really chaps my a$$ that they did not order Friday and did not tell me about it. I had stressed to them that I was going on road trip next Saturday Mar 20 and this had to be done. Anyway got fuel and propane on way home. Frank followed me on back road to Algodones to get a visual on what coach was doing during braking. Nothing concrete found. He did report rear tires are bouncing above 60 so maybe that is my bounce, on rear and not front. We will see.

rsp
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:45 PM   #21024

Good morning

Tuesday i have three phone calls to make. Passed my well physical. The skunks were under our shed last summer. I wouldn't mind trapping them. My hesitation is they would spray and might spray in the back of our truck. DH has put many bricks ,bigstones and metal pipes around the base of the shed. They just go further along and dig new holes. Mr. Chase doesn't usually doesn't shed big clumps of fur. Maybe he is getting ready for the warmer weather. Nice thought !! Take care Ann
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:32 PM   #21025

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My kind of Jeeping

Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:57 AM   #21026

Sam3 my Company used Wasp Spray in our transformers to deter skunks from taking up residence in them. We'd hose down the inside of them then spray a copious amount in their entry holes. Then return the following day and fill in the holes.

Something in the spray they did not find pleasant to be around.

We tried all kinds of $$$ deterrents formulated for that task but found them all to be wish full spending.

Wasp Spray always worked well for us. Sometimes for as long as 5 years per applications.

Was great for Wasp too!
Old 03-16-2021, 02:51 AM   #21027

Coffee is brewing. 29° with cloudy skies and chance of snow this morning. Heading to 53° with cloudy skies. Felt good conserve energy yesterday. Even took a nap. Have a few things on list. But not sure I will get any of them done.

Popeye, lot lof strings attached to that link.

Curtis, wasp spray. I couple places to use it around the barn.

RonS, I worked with balancing machines for 40 years. Got involved with some vibration studies with Ford and GM. Couple of them were about tire balance and drive shafts. As long as only one of those items was out of balance. No noticeable vibration could be detected in the vehicle. We would add 2 ounces of weight to throw tire out of balance. Every time speed got over 50 mph both tire and driveshaft would start vibration in vehicle. On of the 2 items would set off the other. Harmonics is how it was described. Wish I had saved the video that were taken during those test.

Moose, that Jeep is stuck.

Llyod, enjoy your visitors.

Everyone stay healthy and safe.

Good Morning All.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:09 AM   #21028

12+33 am orb and pm clouds winds shift from NW to SW around noon.<10.