Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2022, 04:16 AM   #24585

It's 30 outside, high predicted 47. Any questions?
All orb but too late !!
Oh well , guess I'll take it.
No shoveling....yet.
June 1st calendar started.
203+18 hours.......

The Martians just heard about Musk !
Asked if they could do battle prep in the show ?
Why not ?
Should draw a good crowd !

And speakin' of that...
Now for your entertainment pleasure.
ChuckleHead ! (Carrot Top's brother)

Looks like they're a duo now ?

Rail
I like the looks of the place but when are you going to the beach ?

Lloyd
Maybe less desert pin striping in the future ? Throw it in the Jeep !

RonJH
That's a lot of trees on the ground for one day ! Pace yourself

Orrin
Ay yi yi !
The Frito Bandito still rides , keep the chips safe.

Gordon
Polishing a motorcycle . Summer job?

....so .
When are you YUMA coyoties gonna start directing the farts in my general direction ? Uptah Camp , East Coast Alaska

Is it still a Hurricane if it sno*s ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2022, 08:49 AM   #24586

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Popeye - would dearly love to share some warmer air with you. This is one of those "man plans, god laughs" efforts. If it helps any {and I know it won't and shouldn't} it is colder at home. Currently our weather station is reading -24C (-11F).

Continually getting messages from the weather guessers warning of possible new records being set. Guess the taxes are working - tongue in cheek??? Anyone like to buy a bridge?

Getting a bit cloudy here. Slight chance of showers. Given the amount of rain previously not sure any moisture is needed but this is the desert so any moisture is welcome. One thing I noticed is how green the desert was when we were coming down. That and the number of washouts across the low spots in the highway meant for flooding. Some had been repaired but lots were waiting their turn.

Supposed to be a bit breezy as well. Continually cleaning leaves off of the patio. That and lots of berries. Throwing out fertilizer may not have been the best move but there is lots of new growth.

Electric pruners are a wonderful and very thoughtful gift. Certainly an investment that will pay for itself several times.

Not sure what I am doing today. Lots of small projects to do but procrastination is prevalent. Cleaning the patio will be done.

Have a great day.

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2022, 03:13 PM   #24587

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Afternoon Gang,
Put deposit down today to have couch and the 2 captain chairs recovered, will be much cheaper than replacing and better quality work.
Just got back from buying welding rod, chipping hammer, gloves and helmet at harbor frieght. Waiting for Rita to come out of the movies with the girls. Of course . I am enjoying an adult beverage at BW3 which is next door to the theater.
Ron is busy working on his new storage shed which was Lloyd's storage box on his truck for household goods from home.
We will be ready to fix about anything that gets broke on the desert this year

Have a great day sll,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:04 AM   #24588

Drinking first cup of coffee. 50° with clear skies this morning. Heading to 70° with a mix of sun and clouds. Got my conserve energy day in. I am also fighting off a cold. Yesterdays rest day helped a lot. Going to enjoy some outdoor time today before goes back to being normal Fall temperatures.

Popeye, sure hope the YUMA coyoties send that warmth to me first. Then I can send the leftover warmth to you.

Gordon, chance of showers in Yuma. Stay out of the gulley's.

Frank, lots of projects for the crew.

Everyone stay well and safe.

Good Morning All.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:11 PM   #24589
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tropical storms and water softeners?

Good evening from soggy NE Florida.

Personally, we are fine. Hurricane Nicole quickly turned into a tropical storm when it made landfall. Yes, there is a lot of damage around the state. Beach erosion (including some collapsed buildings built on the edge of the coast), flooding, downed trees, etc. Compared to Ian, this is a lot tamer.

Still, our thoughts and prayers go out to many who are experiencing losses during this storm.

We have about another day or so of high winds and rain in NE Florida. Being on the east coast, most of the damage is a result of the winds and rain coming from off-shore far away from the storm center. Our area had and still has sustained winds of 30 mph with gusts of 50 mph or more.

It's interesting to watch the wind direction change over the course of hours today. The winds from Nicole revolve around the storm center in a counter-clockwise fashion. So, today we watched the trees being blown from the north, then the northeast, then east, and currently southeast.

Changing topics, you may recall that we are remodeling our coach. I have not posted much lately on my Eagle thread, but work is progressing. I will post updates on that thread (listed in my signature below). Teaser: Installation of a 240VAC dual-zone minisplit is nearing completion. Progress on that project is currently being delayed by the weather since part of the work is in the basement.

Staying inside and dry, I am working on designing an upgrade of the fresh water plumbing system. The original 1991 plumbing used polybutylene. This was essentially pulled off the market decades ago. In like fashion, it is being pulled out of our coach. The replacement will be PEX.

We will be adding a water filtration system that will filter everything coming into the coach from an external source. This will probably be a 3 stage system with various filters.

One question that I have is about hard water in the southwest US. Many of you have talked about the necessity for a reverse osmosis system for the local well water in the Yuma area. I have heard that without an RO system, faucets, fixtures, appliances, etc. can suffer.

We plan on including some boondocking in our travels. If I understand RO correctly, the process requires a lot of incoming and waste water. And an extended time connected to a water source; certainly longer than just a simple tank fill.

Are there alternatives to RO that will provide similar benefits?

For example, could a water softener provide the same or similar benefits in regards to removing the impurities that cause the scale problems?

I know that a water softener will require periodic regeneration. But that would only be after many hundreds (or more) of gallons of processing, not every tank. Or, maybe someone has a better idea?

Your turn. Thanks.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:14 AM   #24590

Drinking first cup of coffee. 41° with clear skies this morning. Heading to 63° with cloudy skies. Went grocery shopping yesterday. Found all the items I wanted. I made a Lexan grill guard on my tractor. It was a old piece. That thought I could buff out enough to let headlights shine threw. No luck. Got a new piece of polycarbonate. Got that installed yesterday. Need to blow leaves out from around buildings. Still have a couple of water spickets to winterize.

CWK, I used a On The Go water softener for many years on my MH. it worked good. Made never had a fixture go bad or a calcium buildup. I had the smaller one. In AZ need to recharge it every 2 weeks.

Everyone stay safe and well.

Good Morning All.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:46 AM   #24591

Good Friday Morning all!!

To all the vets, thanks for serving have a great veterns day!

55* headed to 71*, partly cloudy!

Work on our new place continues. It is looking very nice, especially the interior which has been the focus.

Ordered a new fridge from Lowes due here Tuesday. Seals on door are about shot on current frig,,,,, when it runs which is often it is very loud.

Yesterday installed a dimmer for the dinning area light,,,,, much to my surprise the switch was not in a box! Back to hardware to buy a box and install,,,,, had to be free standing as there was also not a studd anywhere around.

Shed is cleaned out, work bench built, tool box setup and compressor ready to go for airing up here at the park.

Visit to best buy yesterday, purchased a smart tv and sound bar. Our first step in the smart tv world. Works very well using the hotspot on my 5G phone. Deb watched some of 1883 yesterday.

Charles, glad the coach is coming along, and the storm spared you guys. I had a RO for the motorhome here in yuma. Yes, there is a lot of waste water. Our new trailer here has a RO separate faucet on the kitchen sink, we use it for drinking water etc.. When the new frig gets here going to plumb the icemaker into the RO to get good ice.

Popeye, June sure is far off. Hope you have a mild winter!

Today......... Best Buy didn't have a wall mount for the new TV, but shipped us one next day. No charge for shipping. When it arrives I need to put it together and mount on wall.

Also today, porch railings are loose. It appears builder just fastened the 4x4 posts to the deck,,,,, which is ceramic tile. Going to pull the skirting off a section today and see what options there are to tighten things up. Have about 6 posts that are loose.

Have a great day all!
Old 11-11-2022, 07:52 AM   #24592

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Janet is off to the Memorial Parade with a spiffy bike.

Cooler and very breezy at the moment. Pulled spiffy bike under awning so just needs a bit of dusting. I can hear some branches brushing on the roof so will be getting the clippers out and do a bit of trimming.

Charles - not sure I understand all of the complexities but our experience is the RO removes the majority of minerals.

The water at our park has terrible water. It is 500+ and contains a lot of magnesium. I have tested our water after RO and it generally is around 5 - 10 ppm. Many times it reads 0. It seems to depend on what container is used to hold the test water.

We have a water softener system at home and I think it add salt ions and take out the mineral ions. The softener water is not good for watering plants!

I do know that the water softener water at home will leave deposits on glass, etc but the RO tap is virtually free from deposits. We have a lot of iron in the water at home. We do not fill the coach from our home water supply which is a well.

Our RO system for the coach is a 5 micron sediment filter, then a 1 micron filter followed by a charcoal filter and then a 150 gpd membrane.

When we are travelling I will fill the tank from the campground or use the campground water directly but will test the water to see what we are getting. Both with the tester and trying a glass of water. Janet has great taste and gives the final approval.

We have a full house RO system on the coach and use the water pump from the on board tank almost exclusively. That leads to a lot of stories about water pumps as we have gone through a number of them. Most under warranty and recently I was able to purchase the switches which seemed to be the majority of issues.

https://www.mrwatergeek.com/soft-water/

https://americanhomewater.com/what-i...-it-so-useful/

Have a great day.

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow/
Old 11-12-2022, 02:58 AM   #24593

Coffee has finished brewing. 33° with cloudy skies this morning. Heading to 41° with some rain showers in afternoon. Got started on leaf cleanup by rolling garbage can slowly dying. Added a pair of wear pads on bottom of can. Garbage company says they will replace any damage to there can. After you spend $100 for a new can. While they work hard to destroy your can. I am winning so far. Fridge tech showed up early. Found Compressor us bad. New one on order. Back at leaf cleanup up and water spicket shut off today.
Very well fed Squirrel.

Llyod, sound like you are making good progress on you new winter home.

Gordon, my concerns about RO was using RV water pump all the time. But if water is that bad in Yuma. It may be the only way to go. I had a 3 filter setup before water softener on my MH. It sat outside under RV.

Everyone stay well and safe.

Good Morning All.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:46 AM   #24594

62+70 ? fogged in , dead calm no rain.....not supposed to stop raining till this afternoon so probably not the last drop to drop.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:55 AM   #24595

Good Saturday Morning All!

47* here in Yuma, headed for 73*. Clear day forecasted!

Conserved energy yesterday, did a bunch of visiting, and some shopping. Stopped at Rivers Edge to visit our friends there,,,, ending up staying for diner at Janet and Gordon's. Gordon made us a great meal!!

Gordon coming to visit this morning,,,, going to help with demolition of our porch railings that need repair. Plan is to prep for new railings,,,,,,, after we think up a plan for how to. Previous builder did a make shift job. We need to demolition to see what we have to work with.

So, we all talk about Yuma, however Rivers Edge Park is actually across the Colorado River in Winterhaven California. Our experience so far is the Yuma Arizona city water is considerably better. Not great, but a improvment over the small town of Winterhaven (population of 151)(increases a bunch when the snowbirds are in town, there are 2 RV parks each much bigger than the town :-) ) Our new place has a RO at the kitchen sink for drinking water, ice etc.. I recently replaced the original faucet in our 1997 trailer,,, it died from dry rot of the cartridge,,,,,, the water off and heat baked it.

Popeye, heat spell!!!!

RonJ,,,,, that is a fat squirel!!!

Have a great day all!
Old 11-12-2022, 09:21 AM   #24596

Lloyd
Just the hurricanes pulling it up with them..
Next week 40s highs and 20s overnight. It was lows in 30s before the storms "channel surfed" the weather . I was glad for it , got some finish work done on the rig. Got some really nice days out of it . They predicted t-boomers for today . It rained pretty hard last night but looks like almost past me now on doppler .

errrrrr ,,,,,I mean Good Job on the in my general direction effort !
Old 11-13-2022, 12:31 AM   #24597

Good Morning

Spent part of the day doing felt sewing crafts with my granddaughter. Her first hand sewing project. Then we went to Sams club and Walmart. Fifteen deep at the snack bar. The stores were very crowded. Probably more Canadian shoppers with the border restrictions lifted. DH delivered dry wall to church. Pastor and another handyman will be replacing the kitchen ceiling. DH is glad to not have to do this repair. He has to take the outside shut off valve apart for possible washer replacement. Having repairs on a commercial building is a double money pit. Neighbor needs two window AC units removed. Time to fire up the humidifier on our Cpap machines. Doing very well with my acupuncture treatments. Take Care, Ann
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 03:16 AM   #24598

Drinking hot cup of coffee. 31° with some sxxw flakes falling this morning. Heading to 38° with cloudy skies. Got all the leaves picked up for this year yesterday. Neighbor came with his tractor and my trac-vac. Hooked up suction hose and went around all my and his buildings and gardens picking up all the leaves. Then the sxxw came down. Nothing stuck to the ground like pictures friends sent me from southern IL. Water lines are blown out. Still have some yard ornaments to put aways for the winter. Should get that done before going out with friends for Sunday dinner.
Birds keep pecking away at seed cakes.

Ann, always fun doing projects with grandkids.

Popeye, rain is better that sxxw.

Llyod, hope the porch demo went well.

Prayers and best wishes for everyone.

Good Morning All.