Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2015, 04:57 AM   #2703

Good morning all!

48 here this morning, I got some sleep last night. Long day yesterday.

The entire event was caused by people not doing their job. Not sure where this world is going, but it seems so many just don't care anymore. I fear the world is really going to miss our generation. Not only did they neglect and create the crisis, but then it don't matter its time to go home!! Okay, I feel better now Thanks for everyone thinking of me!

I w--k today, then have Friday off. Mom and Dad sold their beach house, and invited me to move them this weekend up here to York. We hired some movers, but lots still left to be done by us. I head to the beach with my big enclosed trailer this afternoon - evening. It will be good to have them nearby.

I got into a can of worms with this coach. Turns out I should have never let the mechanic pull the turbo when we found it was bad. We got all the parts and then it started getting hard to get him back here. He stood me up 3 times, then yesterday I said enough. Called a different mechanic, shared my story and he shared...... on my model the turbo and actuator come separate. The install process is to bolt on the turbo. Plug the actuator in to the coach (but do not install), plug a laptop into the coach with the Cummins ($3,000 per year) tuning software and synchronize the actuator with the coach, then install the actuator on the turbo and synchronize again. Failure to do so can result in over, or under boost, possible over speed of the turbo and or engine damage. UGH!

I suspect the mechanic found that out, and is now skipping out. The new guy I spoke to seemed very good. He is seeing if he can borrow a friends PC with software, if yes has agreed to complete the job. Fingers are crossed that he can do that. He seemed very knowledgeable, says he has done this many times before, but does not own the PC and software.

My other choices are to tow the coach to a dealer or Cummins, or have them come here. UGH! What a mess. All started with a simple exhaust manifold leak. Luckily no plans to go anywhere till the 13th when we planned our last weekend for the season with some friends.

Have a great day all. L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:15 AM   #2704

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Lloyd,
Sorry to here about the difficulties, hopefully this new mechanic will do the trick.
Gordon,
The mosquitoes are just because the pond is probably 6' higher than normal and has been for most of the summer. As the pond goes down, the mosquito problem will diminish.
Lynne,
Beautiful castle, do the allow tours? that would be cool to see the inside.
Wschaub,
Those are wonderful pictures from outside your dinette.
Have a great day all,and by the way it sure is nice to be home, waiting for the more of the gang to get here,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #2705

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow Lloyd! What a mess. I fear this is what is coming to us all eventually as even John Deere has joined with the major manufacturers lobbying for bills that will make it against the law for anyone but dealers to work on their junk, AND ABSOLUTELY NO MODIFICATIONS TO THERE PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE or break the law! I personally will have to make do with older vehicles as when I can't work on my own I will be too old to drive anyway. I had my own tractor-trailers for 25 years and always did my own work! I shudder thinking back then a new Peterbilt all decked out was less than $40000 today the same truck is $140000 if that is considered progress we are in deep trouble! I worked for a trucking company as a mechanic back in 93-94 nice guy the owner, had no clue about mechanics but knew how to make money with stocks and freight. He just had a love affair with Caterpillar, they screwed him to death! They rebuilt one of his trucks with a 310 Cat 3406E , charged him like 15000 , I went out to pick it up , sitting outside their shop idling oil was drooling out of the bottom of the air compressor. Showed the mechanic his solution was to double wrench the bottom bolt and almost twist it off! Bobtailled the truck back to the shop. about 30 miles, never saw anything but the engine shutdown came on , blew all the oil out all over the truck and all the poor cars on the expressway for 30 miles! Blew the gasket out of the injection pump. H.O.Penn sent a service truck with one $3.00 gasket , he changed it ,started the engine revved it up with his fancy computer hooked up , at 1400 rpm it blew the gasket back out! He drove back to the shop and back 60 miles, brought 2 gaskets this time! By the time he got back I found the problem, the fuel return hose to the tank was clogged solid, hooked a temp to the pump and all was well! They had the stones to void the warrantee on the rebuild because I found the problem! I changed the hose and he never used them for anything but parts after that! I bet that truck DIDN'T need a rebuild either! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:07 AM   #2706
bap

Lloyd,,man im sure sorry to hear about your mess,,but as bad as i hate to say it im not suprised ,,its getting harder and harder to find anyone that is competant and careing to do a rightfull job on anything these days,,,,,best of luck that the new guy can get the software and get you fixed up...----i have been shopping for a new farm tractor with loader and i will tell ya i have changed my mind about buying brand new they just are not built like the old ones,,

LYNNE,,, thanks for the electric campfire thought---i hounestly didnt know about them------will look into it for sure..

MK,,,----just to let ya know ...prayers are still being sent my friend !!!!

everyone have a great day,,--

jeff
Old 10-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #2707

Coffee is good this morning. ...I am at work today!!! Yeah!!!!!.....doing better good thing my job is not too physical.

Thanks for all the continued support....it means the world to me....

I just can't wait till next summer when I can be cleared to take the fiver to my place in Hearne...just to get a break...so looking forward to hooking up and getting out there again

Good news from insurance company is a stem cell transplant is covered and approved so if and when that happens I will move the fiver to houston for the 3 months I have to be there. But that won't happen till after the 8 months of treatment. ...another bridge to cross....

Focus on today....live happy, love with all your heart...tommorrow is never guaranteed

MK signing off for now....much love to everyone
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #2708

Winnebago Owners Club
MK - it is sounding really positive, so are you. Great attitude.

Rail - you are right on the mark. Place is called Ruiz. Cost has gone up to 3 dl. I give her a 10. The shop is amazing. I do not think there is a bad hair cutter in there but I have my favorite and alternate if she is not there. Amazing how clean they keep it. Several of them have children so there are always babies and small children present. How patient the ladies are with them. If a baby is crawling on the floor there will be a lady sweeping the hair out of the way. Simply amazing!

I am going to mention the ice cream to Janet. We will work on getting some of it back. Have not noticed any for sale but will look now that we are aware of it's existence. Thanks for that.

Lloyd - sad to hear the series of setbacks you are encountering. Seems like there are less and less mechanics around now days. Mostly just part changers who apparently only read parts of the manuals. Mind you engines (and other stuff) is getting more complex all of the time.

Sometimes it would be great to go back to the hit and miss engines. Mind you we want to climb hills in high gear running 50,000+ so what to do. There is several days of conversation on this topic so enough from me.

Today going to lubricate all the door hinges and crawl under and wipe down the jacks with silicone protectant. Going to be a great day.

Everyone have a grand day.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #2709

Forest River Owners Club
Good morning, all! Coffee good this morning @ 61 degrees. (No rain.) Stopped at the Golden Arches for lunch and wifi. Wifi works, but no carbonation to the soda dispensers. Also, no milk shakes. On our way to S&B. DW has a family gathering in Iowa this weekend. MK, keep up the positive attitude. Also, those Diesel turbos can be a mess. I worked in a school district that had a Cat motor in one of the buses. (Used to be good motors!) turbo went out, and it was six weeks waiting for parts. I asked what the problem was and was told the factory flooded from a hurricane. Where is the factory, I asked? Well, we moved it to Guatemala. I walked away before making a negative comment. One more week to campground hosting!

Mikeb

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #2710

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gordon,
You might want to move your snakes around on the roof just to keep the doves wary from time to time.

Isn't the coffee always good?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #2711

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Gordon,
You might want to move your snakes around on the roof just to keep the doves wary from time to time.

Isn't the coffee always good?
Good idea. I have one on the roof and two wrapped around branches in the trees.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:53 AM   #2712

Forest River Owners Club
Good morning. 61 degrees and light rain at the S&B. I made a full pot of coffee and it is great. It is a quiet day so far. Going to stay in some park cabins tonight and Saturday night. I wonder if the hurricane will stir our weather up some?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #2713

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good Morning.

On the 3rd cuppa for the day.

Always a million things to do and so little time. Pressure wash the drive, walks and fence today + rake and mow our 1/2 acre yard. Everything has to stay top notch since its on the market.

Hope you all are doing well.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #2714

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Afternoon,
3rd mug-of- jo
Boy Lolyd what a mess.
Been raining all day. Haven't done anything so far. OOOPps I got my reservations in for the winter time.
I did get the pic's uploaded of the curtains and the Micro. I did end up opening the wall where I thought I hit a wire. Couldn't see anything So I now believe that it was in one of the connections of the wires clumped and just hanging there. I was able to tighten the connectors and a few fell out of the connectors. Joe replaced the old connectors with a twist on connector and placed them so they are not in the way of the mirco. We lifted the thing back in boy those Mirco's were heavy back then.'t
Got to take the 64 out the other day, boy not many of those days left.
I talked to my Nephew about shipping her out west to have to use over the winter and you know $2,000.oo Each way. That won't happen.

That's, all I got
Have a good night and those on the road be safe.
Mike you and the wife are in my prayers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151017_181827.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	110247   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151018_131813.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	110248  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151018_131920.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	110249   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151019_194033.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	110250  

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:19 PM   #2715

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Evening Gang,
Well supposed to start workamping tomorrow, fixed the park leaf blower yesterday, today we changed oil in one of the push mowers, dug up a couple water hookups that the contractor had buried, did a little weed whipping. filled a couple of holes with dirt and fixed the throttle on the John Deere so it would stay at the position that you put it in. Not bad for not starting yet, lol. Also scrubbed the carpet in the 5er, half last night the rest this morning. Actually things are looking up in the park and it looks to be a wonderful year. I really don't mind the working extra when it is needed. Right now there is a lot to get ready for the campers when they get here.there are a few coming in next week, then a bunch from the first on.
Catch you all in the morning.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:22 AM   #2716

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Morning All,

52 this AM and the coffee sure is good. Rained last night and drizzily this AM this next week will be up and down temp wise and no report of the white stuff yet.

Frank, they do have tours at the castle. It isn't occupied, more a tourist trap than anything but it is rather neat for a small castle. They have had the basement flood a few times over the years when the river came over the banks but they always seems to get it fixed. Basement was the kitchen at one time. It's small but Curwood used it for plays at one time. The main room is quite large and they did the plays there. The have the "James Oliver Curwood" festival in June and have all sorts of carnival type stuff come to town. They have a contest for fund raising and it funds little league, cancer research or programs in the area and other things. Good stuff mainly. Crafters come in and reenactment groups. Not too many towns can claim they have a castle.

MK, glad to hear you are working through. Think about you often and prayers go out every time. It can be hard to keep strong through this but we will help whenever we can.

Lloyd, Sorry about the problem but hopefully this new mechanic is the right one because that is all it ill take to get this fixed and then you will have a good rig. Good luck with that.

Well, going looking for a pistol today. Have done a lot of research and now need to try them out. Taking my time to get it right. Love shooting guns. You all have a great day.

Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote