Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2016, 03:59 AM   #3543

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
morning,
Tastie coffee today,
lets see 3:15 can't go out and start waxing, so here I am,
Your a God send Lynne, Prayers sent,
I started to wax yesterday, I can't believe all the different cleaners and wax's I have used over the years and I end up using a metal cleaner and it does a better job than the oxidizers removers I have used. I spent almost all afternoon yesterday on just the rear cap. I used the cleaner first then went over with the Brazilin carnauba wax after. Man where's my sunglasses, and I thought it looked kind of good when I started.
Got a Question for those in the know, I found that the rear cap has a bunch of tiny holes all over the right side of the rear cap? They weren't there last fall when I waxed it. It almost looks like woodworm holes. Could it be?
Got some new neighbor's the other day very friendly, they are from California. The gal on the other side finally said Hi to us. After 2 week's
Progressing slowly....
I finally asked one of the resort workers if I could use my buffer and he said as long as it isn't loud, So I'm going to start using it and see what happens. Most of the MH'ers are gone during the day so I shouldn't offend any one "but one never knows".
There must be a Foretralvers(sp) convention around town because a lot of them are showing up here and man are they nice and big. WOW I think I would take one over the Provost's
Off to surf other Fourms,
Yall have a great day
& those on the road be safe.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #3544

Winnebago Owners Club
Morning;
Thermometer says 44. Sun is just lighting the top of the trees so another hour it will be nice on the patio. Supposed to get to 70 today. Feels warmer in the sun though.

Not much happening today. Being retired is great.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #3545

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good Morning Gang,
Lynne,
Our prayers go out to the family.
Very similar weather here today also Gordon. Storms tomorrow as another front comes through.
Have a great day all,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #3546

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey guys and gals, fially got the windshield in on the Dakota! Froze all day dumping Glass cutoffs at the shop into the dumpster. I'm sure i'll be paying the surcharges on the weight ,but it feels good to unload stuff! Here are a couple pics of the Dakota in my garage, hopefully more to come as it progresses! Bobby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new windshield.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	116554   Click image for larger version

Name:	front end in garage.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	116555  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tailgate before lettering.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	116556  
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #3547

Forest River Owners Club
Good evening, all. High of 65 here today. The forecast calls for a high of 15 on Sunday. We are going to the St. Louis RV show Saturday. Lynne, prayers are enroute. The Dakota looks very nice!
Mike B

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #3548

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Bobbie,
Dakota is looking better each pic that we see. Glad that you are starting to downsize, so you guys can go and enjoy yourselves.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #3549

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Morning,
coffee is going down well.
Beautiful day yesterday didn't leave the resort.
Camping World brought in a 5th wheeler yesterday and parked it across the drive from us, not sure why maybe to just look at, was not impressed, Toy hauler it did have 2 decks one off the rear and a small one off the passenger side.
Waxed 1/2 of one side yesterday coming out nice no one complained about the buffer so I will keep going and the shoulder isn't to bad this morning.
Had a guy from the other side of the fence stop by and shot the shxx for awhile. He's playing in a band tonight in there resort and invited us to come over to listen. Jazz & country music should be good I've heard him practice thru the fence a few times . They are from Oregon. and own a gift shop there. He said they have been coming to Quartzsite for almost 30 years.
Boy bobby that Dakota is looking better and better every time you post.
Gordon still up for a meet-n-greet?
Have a great day and those on the road be safe,
Tim
Old 01-15-2016, 04:59 AM   #3550

Happy Friday all!

Bobby, the Dakota looks great, Frank is correct better each time I see it.

Tim, is the rear cap fiberglass? That is odd. Are the holes all the way through,,, as in water will get in?

So Wednesday I decided I would take our coach for a drive. It has been sitting for roughly 2 months. It started right up, and then about 1 min later a low voltage alarm came on follwed by an "Auto Idle" alert. Arrrggghhh!

Further investigation revealed the alternator locked up, and subsequently threw the belt off. Looks like I have another RV project! Spoke to my mechanic friend, he said they go in limp mode if the voltage is low (no alternator). Seems crazy to me. Tried starting the generator thinking it would charge and get me throttle response but that didn't seem to make a difference. Seems redicualous they would leave you stuck on the road at idle if you lose the charging system,,,,, but they do .

Begining to wonder about this coach. No way anyone could have predicted this but I am doing a awful lot of repairs given it has 50,000 miles.

Have a great day all! This evening will see if I can get the coach in the barn, closer to my tools and on concrete rather than me crawling around in the gravel.

L.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:31 AM   #3551

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Morning All, Prayers out to all that are hurting.! That includes me, after carrying a couple tons of glass out to the dumpster. Thanks for the encouragement on the Dakota, thinking i'm going to get the exterior done and get the new top on it so we can tow it to Florida. Will just give the interior a good cleaning and have the seats and carpet done when we come home. Going to try to get the shop finished , sell off some excess tools and settle with my landlord and get out! Need to make time for Sally and I, before we can't! Going to go to the shop and try to finish loading the dumpster today, but I think i'll pay some guy I know to give me a hand as i'm hurting a little in the joints this morning and he isn't working now ,so we'll see. Happy Trails , everyone! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:36 AM   #3552

Coffee is brewing and smells great...

Bobby kinda wish you had a rebuild thread for the Dakota like Terry's would have been great to see it from start to finnish....she is a beauty!!!!

Lynne hope all is going well with the family that is in their time of need. I believe angels are everywhere watching over us and you have proven how God works through all of us...

Lloyd isn't there always a project needing to be done? It seems as soon as I can get one finished another pops up....lol....hope you get her up and running without too much trouble

Be safe everybody

Mk
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:38 AM   #3553

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Lloyd yes all the way thru size of a pinhead, I filled them with wax but think I will need to get a Q-Tip and dab them with some caulking after cleaning them out.
Boy its starting to get windy out I have the aweing down but have it well anchored, and the flags are straight out. Coming from the South.
Gordon what cha doing down there ?
Lloyd did you get it running? and are you here? We had a rig like yours pull in late yesterday . Nice rig not sure of they year but it was a Mandalay Presidio
Tim
Old 01-15-2016, 05:58 AM   #3554

Hey Tim!

No I am at home, wish I was there. I have never seen another Presidio. I think they only made them 2-3 years. We have only had ours since May of last year, so not a lot of looking.

Man, I have no idea what would have made holes in fiberglass like that, beyond air holes in the original pour. If the area is not immediatly visible from the ground, you might try something like marine tex, or a thin coat of fiberglass gell. It will run in the holes, and be a more perm fix.

L.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:21 AM   #3555

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Lloyd, I'll see if I can find where they parked it and take a pic.
Bobby just do it.
I watched my parents work there tails off only to get close to retirement and there health went to hell. I said it will never happen to me, but higher powers didn't let it happen. Bought a MH and am livening it best as I can, I just gota dump the S&B's
Go for it.
ps
I hope you take that Dakota in a enclosed trailer.
Tim
Old 01-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #3556

Goooodmorning all y’all!!!

My morning coffee certainly is going down well today. Yesterday I went on a 5 mile afternoon hike with the local hiking club in the Huachuca Mountains adjacent to and south of Sierra Vista where I’m staying. It was a nice hike and not too icy and slippery. Every time I’m out and about on the wild side I feel it in my knees, however after a good night’s rest my knees feel good again. I’m a lucky guy!

Tim about those holes in your fiberglass, what I’d do is obtain some slow-curing epoxy and a disposable glue syringe and squirt the pin holes full of epoxy, the problem would be cured permanently. Both the epoxy and the glue syringe can typically be picked up at a good hobby supply store. Squirting Gorilla Glue in the holes might work too. Gorilla Glue is polyurethane and will foam in place filling up the pin holes. Squirt in the GG wipe any excess off the surface and put a piece of scotch tape over it so the glue doesn’t foam out onto the surface.

I hear about other’s problems with windy weather. I spent the winter of 2014 just north of Huachuca City and dealt with the winds that passed through the gap between the Huachuca and Whetstone Mountains. This winter I chose my winter spot in Sierra Vista in the shelter of the Huachuca Mountains and so far I haven’t had nearly the winds to deal with.

The sun's coming out, I may just explore the area some more in my Caravan today. The first week in February I have a good friend coming down from Alaska for a visit. Mike wants to do some quail hunting here and I want to be certain I have some choice hunting areas to take him too. It’s a long ways to come to not find any birds!

The countryside located between the Huachuca Mountains and the US/Mex border.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote