Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2020, 05:18 AM   #20161

RonJH +Lloyd (and everyone else good info.)
Sit down , this might be long winded.

As part of my quest to understand my world of sound reinforcement completely I studied many sound related subjects.
I'll try to translate some of it here .. bear with me , it's been a while..I may miss a detail here and there.

The human ear is a very complicated thing....
It works by using several different internal structures.

Sound waves effect the ear drum which is connected to bones that induce waves in "hydraulic fluid" that are detected by little hairs growing on this curved horn like structure , electrical signals to the brain from those little hairs, each tuned to a different frequency in that fluid and in turn they send electrical signals to your brain which are responsible for your perception of sound.

Here's the bad part (for me anyway, not sure about you guys yet)
When the sound gets too LOUD the hairs are damaged and your ears "ring" actually they don't (it's your brain ringing ) the effect is temporary and will go away as the hairs recover.

OK here we go.

If you get away from the sound !

If the sound stays too LOUD or you do it every day....(ME) ...
Eventually the hair relative to the freq (and possibly others too) that was dominant DIE !
It's too much to go into now but when any die , the brain decides they are permanently in "ON" position so it translates that to that phantom ringing you "hear",,,,,BUT it's Triggering that sound you "hear" when it's not there ,,,FOREVER ! (for me)

NOW, there may be other things that trigger the same phantom sound that are related to other physical ailments that I unfortunately didn't study quite as much (very little) because I was pretty certain what caused it for me by that point.....ARRRRGH

So you two have hope . Hopefully.
Me ? well I've gotten used to it ..
Plus I trained in critical listening so (sometimes) I can ignore it by focusing on other real sounds....might interfere with sleep but ....it's part of me now.35 years so far.......
I estimate about 6 freq all above 6K Hz. (Seems the smaller high freq hairs die sooner than the more substantial mid and lows ?)

Good luck with the EEN+T doc Lloyd ..he/she may save you.
I worry most about you, (firing range) .
Use ear plugs as much as possible people ........

Impossible to explain to most people * I run into ...I was thinking of using a function generator
I have to record a tape approximating my phantom sounds with several freq's at differing levels... I say approximating because....... the dominate freq changes from time to time....
which makes it a tiny bit less annoying...sometimes.

*Try explaining that to the disability people....skuh kuh kuh kuh impossible

If you have questions ,,I might be able to answer them,,,maybe.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #20162

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
G'morning all,

Hope everyone is staying safe. Here in Tucson, C-19 is exploding. I am very cautious when shopping. Wearing my mask, and am dodging those that invade my space. Sucks big time.

After Thanksgiving dinner Martha and I were watching TV and I had an experience I don't care to repeat. My left eye started getting blurry, then it appeared that someone had pulled a room darkening shade from the top of my eye to the bottom and then my vision was gone. Nothing. I told Martha to get ready and get me to the ER at the VA in Tucson. By the time I stood up to find my shoes my vision started to clear up and return to normal.

At the ER I was told that this was likely caused by a piece of plaque coming loose in my carotid artery which lodged in a vein in my eye. This in turn cut off the blood flow and then my vision before it moved on.

So, technically is was a TIA. I spent the next two days in the hospital with the doctors running every test known to man. The episode still isn't fully explained as I have more tests to be run.

They let me come home yesterday afternoon. Before leaving I did talk with a cardiologist and a neurologist. I will likely need some "filters" put into place in my right carotid artery to prevent a brain injury if more plaque comes loose. Then they told me I may need heart surgery again. This time to fix a valve called the foramen ovale. This valve is how your body receives nutrients and blood flow when you are in your mothers womb. Once you are born it closes. Well, mine partially reopened again which somehow decreases blood flow without leaking it into other parts of my body. Voodoo to me.

I go back to the cardiologist on Monday to have a portable cellular connected heart monitor patch put on. The transmitter is just a pager looking thing you clip on your belt which transmits your heart rhythms three times a day back to big brother. I also need an ultrasound of my carotid's. The kicker? I have recently (last five months) lost 40 pounds. I was told that sometimes big weight loss triggers your body to start cleaning up your blood vessels and that can cause plaque to come loose. Can't win, ....What fun.

The move is still on. To those who suggested a rental trailer or van, yes, this is exactly what I will do. Most likely I will rent a lowered bed trailer. Luckily this move only takes us five miles from where we are currently

Everyone have a great day.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #20163

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning;
Sorry for the health issues Charlie. Great that you lost the weight. Hope you have encountered the last of the plaque. Will they be able to do the surgery through arteries or veins? Hope they find something easier to fix as the problem. Good luck with the move. Saving grace I think is you have not been out of full timing long enough to accumulate much of the excess stuff. But there will be some I am sure. I think we should all have to move every three years. Would stop a lot of the Ferengi "Law of Acquisition" that we subject ourselves to!! LOL

Having said that: Yes RonJ I will be looking on Monday for a new tablet. The one I have is full, full, full. Had to hook up to the laptop to do a OS update. Not enough room!

Great explanation Popeye. Thanks for the laymans version. Learned several things. Impressive head bangers convention.

Wavenators waved Bon Voyage to the trail ride. Have a great day and be safe.

Overcast this morning. High just below freezing. Janet wants to set up the new Christmas tree. This is a good day to do it.

Be safe to those on the road and on the trail.

Have a great day.

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #20164

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Sunday to all,
Charlie, take it easy now.....hope all is well at the docs for you. Get help to move things and such, don't want to over do it. I did a month ago, not good, and "that's all I have to say about that."
Popeye, we are just alike. My bad ear is my left side....(cymbals and guitar amps, mostly cymbals). Rings all the time, louder when the wax builds up. I have to have a ENT doc extract it. The wax gets painful as it gets up against the eardrum. On my left ear I do exactly what you do regarding selective hearing.....otherwise the tenitus would be very dominant and distracting. Just gotta live with it.
I understood your sound/inner ear description very well. I think it was easy to follow the path of sound, to perception of sound, by your illustration.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #20165

Gulf Streamers Club
Charlie, praying your eye issue is resolved successfully. And your move to new house is easy and without issue. Trail riders have fun and be safe. Two sleeps and I am on the road North. Very nice lunch yesterday with sister, brother, and nephew and his wife. 4 dogs. 3 cats. Brother went home this morning.

Patching broken front window next. Went to town and got super glue, gorilla glue, and packing tape. Just trying to make it last for 1200 miles. Will try and get it replaced in Yuma. 25F here Tuesday morning when I leave for Fort Stockton and 25F when I leave Las Cruces Thursday morning. Hope Cummins wants to run. The down side of having reservations for the over-nighters to Yuma. Will be seeing y'all in Yuma soon.

rsp
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #20166

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Patching broken front window next. Went to town and got super glue, gorilla glue, and packing tape. Just trying to make it last for 1200 miles. Will try and get it replaced in Yuma. 25F here Tuesday morning when I leave for Fort Stockton and 25F when I leave Las Cruces Thursday morning. Hope Cummins wants to run. The down side of having reservations for the over-nighters to Yuma. Will be seeing y'all in Yuma soon.
rsp
If they are still there I would recommend the people up in Quartsite at the southwest corner of I-10 and A-95 as they did a great job for us winter before last on our then 30 foot Adventurer. They did good work and only had our coach for the better part of a day.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #20167

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
If they are still there I would recommend the people up in Quartsite at the southwest corner of I-10 and A-95 as they did a great job for us winter before last on our then 30 foot Adventurer. They did good work and only had our coach for the better part of a day.

Windshield Magic?
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #20168

Double doggone darn Charlie, I thought you were part of the cabal here on Good Morning that had sworn to never getting old.

Anything to do with the eyes is terrifying. This is multiplied with out of the blue catastrophic failure. I’m glad you got what sounds like some good doctoring and have a handle on it.

Now, on the move, get help. The last thing you need to do is get a bad case of Supermanitis and strain causing more issues. I like the TSC small full tailgate trailer rental for what you’re doing. Easier to handle stuff when you’re not fighting walls and some 1/4 inch rope works great because you can tie off anywhere to the top rail when securing the load.

As for the weight loss, 40 lbs would take me back forty years, not sure I could handle that at this age.

Glenda has tinnitus worse than myself. It comes and goes and when it comes with her she’s pretty miserable. Mine is a constant and up to this point my being in the spectrum helps because my attention span is so short and fragmented nothing gets too much attention, including the ringing.

Ron I had our windshields changed out in the woods on the Mogollon Rim by the best installer in Arizona, his opinion. 800 miles later driver’s side slipped enough to expose a gap at the top big enough to take almost a tube of icky poo to fill. We’re getting by but if your repair guy shows up in a Jeep dragging a trailer take his tales with a block or two of cow salt.

We were wet starting last night and that quarter of an inch the weather guy promised multiplied, almost Biblical proportions even. Now the front is through and we’ve got a stiff north wind with teeth made of ice. I’m watching the first daytime football this season.

Awhile back no one knew someone who had the Covid. Now it seems everyone knows someones with it. Kid (37 yrs old) I helped with the fence and continue to feed his goats has it. He figures he got it at work, five people with it. He gave it to his wife and four yr old, everyone seems to be doing fine now. His eighty plus grandpa got it somewhere else and it doesn’t look good.

Stay warm and whatever you do, be kind.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:06 AM   #20169

Prayers for Charlie

Charlie,good thing you went to the ER. Sounds like you had a very talented/diagnostic MD. Harvey good score on the metal. Hope the weather cooperates and you get to install the roof.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:54 AM   #20170

Coffee is done brewing. 33° with light snow this morning. Heading to 35° with continued snow. Storm is most to the east of me. Do not expect much accumulation because of the warm ground. Since all the leaves have fallen and blown away. I took net off garden pond yesterday. It was like a spring day outdoors. No plans for today. Maybe some Cyber Monday shopping.
Stretching after a afternoon nap.

Popeye, yup. pretty much going to have to live with the ear ringing. Thanks for the explanation. I go to a ENT Dr. that only does ears.

Charlie, prayers that your eye problems are over.

RonS, hope window holds until you get to Yuma.

Everyone stay safe and healthy.

Good Morning All.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:32 AM   #20171

Dang Charlie that eye thing is scary. Good you took it seriously and got professional help.
I had a retna detach once and it was almost as bad as your experience. Optomoligist Dr was able to fix it through emergency surgery so mine was an easy fix. Yours sounds like it's could to be a domino fall. Heart valves get swapped out like cars now, but what you have to go though go get to them. Modern Medicine is great! Prayer it will go easy and no big deal to find and fix it all.
I could use a 40 lb weight loss! Jealous!

Popeye, good explanation. I have had tinnitus most if my life. I find if just have music 0laying in the background it doesn't bother me. The music gives my subconscious something to do rather than listen to the whistle blowing constantly.
I've found some ear buds I can sleep in comfortably and set my phone to play music on a 30 minute timer. And it's boom boom boom out go the lights in less than 5 minutes. Without them I will lay in bed sometimes 2 hours thinking if stuff to do to shut out the noise. Sometimes I don't get through one song with the ear buds. (Melissa can't sleep with Rock and Roll music playing. But it's my happy time...

It's colder than a well digger rear here this morning. Gotta get moving. Still in my warm bed at 8:30. AM. I've become a Slacker in my retirement. Don't miss those 4:45 am alarms to go to work.

Up an at em as my Dad the Chief Master Sergeant use to say when we were kids.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #20172

32* frozen fog ,,,looks a lot like frost !
At least it's not raining.........till noon.

Wavey noticed the jazz band was missing as the show was starting up.... he got the headbanger group in at the end though... even if they left a big mess behind......

Charlie
Sounds like a scary ,,and strange diagnosis !
Wonderful timing on dealing with it during your move...
Tell the doc I recommend Wix filters...and hope they can prevent another episode of that crap !

RonS
Sounds like you have all the stuff, hope it gets ya there "in one piece" .
Have the wheels smoothed out ?
You don't need any extra "bumping"....
Happy (smooth) Trails
If you want ,I could send some wind in your general direction to help out with MPGs

Harv
"The best installer in Arizona" ? Doesn't sound so good , hope he was lying ! Maybe Ron should go to Mexico for that replacement ?

RonJH
Earlier I mentioned your weather is one day ahead of mine.....
Hoping I was SO wrong now !

WD
Occupational hazard I guess,, I decided it was just part of what I got paid for.
Sorry about Glenda , guessing she went to gigs with you ?

I also had a cabinet shop and worked construction before the pro sound stuff so real hard to decide what actually caused mine... cumulative build up of damage with no recovery time ???

Sure wish I had ignored all the protests from musicians on stage that I couldn't mix right with earplugs.....
(They have some that "attenuate all freqs equally" these days. Not sure if I believe that though..)
IEMs would have saved me ,,, if there were any back since the beginning.....

Oppps sorry guys,,,IEMs = In Ear Monitors .
Think incredibly accurate ear buds....

I have some now ,,
Old 11-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #20173

32* frozen fog ,,,looks a lot like frost !
At least it's not raining.........till noon.

Wavey noticed the jazz band was missing as the show was starting up.... he got the headbanger group in at the end though... even if they left a big mess behind......

Charlie
Sounds like a scary ,,and strange diagnosis !
Wonderful timing on dealing with it during your move...
Tell the doc I recommend Wix filters...and hope they can prevent another episode of that crap !

RonS
Sounds like you have all the stuff, hope it gets ya there "in one piece" .
Have the wheels smoothed out ?
You don't need any extra "bumping"....
Happy (smooth) Trails
If you want ,I could send some wind in your general direction to help out with MPGs

Harv
"The best installer in Arizona" ? Doesn't sound so good , hope he was lying ! Maybe Ron should go to Mexico for that replacement ?

RonJH
Earlier I mentioned your weather is one day ahead of mine.....
Hoping I was SO wrong now !

WD
Occupational hazard I guess,, I decided it was just part of what I got paid for.
Sorry about Glenda , guessing she went to gigs with you ?

I also had a cabinet shop and worked construction before the pro sound stuff so real hard to decide what actually caused mine... cumulative build up of damage with no recovery time ???

Sure wish I had ignored all the protests from musicians on stage that I couldn't mix right with earplugs.....
(They have some that "attenuate all freqs equally" these days. Not sure if I believe that though..)
IEMs would have saved me ,,, if there were any back since the beginning.....

Oppps sorry guys,,,IEMs = In Ear Monitors .
Think incredibly accurate ear buds....

I have some now ,, sent to me for free !
THX Putts !!!
Old 11-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #20174

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning
Going to be a great day. Sky is blue and sun is just coming up. Sunrise 8:26 Sunset 4:21. Not much daylight to burn. Supposed to be right around freezing.

Had a nice conversation with Lloyd last night. He is charging the batteries on the golf cart and the charger is having difficulty getting a full charge. They had a good ride out in the desert.

Also had a text talk with Stan. He and Jira are doing fine. He gave me some insights to trucking hours that I did not know. Tried to convince him to come to Yuma for a visit but it sounds like it is the best time of year in Thailand. Hope to see them next summer at M&G.

The post office is so busy delivering parcels they have to schedule the delivery in the available compartments in the mail box. We are scheduled to get a parcel two days after it arrived!

Hope everyone had a grand day.

Safe travels Ron.

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.