Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #1

Got a blown flex brake line

On our 91 Oshkosh Chassis we discovered we have a blown flex brake line. Any ideas where to go to purchase new lines
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Try NAPA...
Good luck
TDiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #3

Any hydraulic shop (even some NAPAs) can make one for you. Take the old one in.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
On our 91 Oshkosh Chassis we discovered we have a blown flex brake line. Any ideas where to go to purchase new lines
I have a 93 diesel.If yours is the same as mine I had the same problem about 2 months ago.No parts or truck parts has these lines.
Look under my post Need Oshkosh brake lines.The next to last post has a link of someone that has these lines.
The connection on one end is different than any one has in stock.I searched over a month.Hope this helps.
Doyle
mackpeteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

if its air brakes, any competent truck chassis service joint can replace the line. If its hydraulic, read the several posts in this thread. Can't vouch for the line expansion issues, but the availability of replacement line is straight forward.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #6

Here you go:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/need...ml#post1004964

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Thanks for the tip the place is called Mill Supply in Cleveland they have all the brake parts in stock for the Oshkosh Chassis, I just ordered all five flex brake lines, You gotta be able to stop. They are sending me a catalog for step van parts, he said there is a lotta stuff in that catalog for the Oshkosh Chassis.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Am wondering if the weather had anything to do with it. Old Brake fluid can get moisture in it and then freeze. That would be a thing to look at. Flush the brake lines and the other pieces too. If the fluid looks dark brown, you may need new brake pieces as well. I know on the P-30 chassis they say to flush the lines every two years. Good luck,Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
Am wondering if the weather had anything to do with it. Old Brake fluid can get moisture in it and then freeze. That would be a thing to look at. Flush the brake lines and the other pieces too. If the fluid looks dark brown, you may need new brake pieces as well. I know on the P-30 chassis they say to flush the lines every two years. Good luck,Dan
All the new brake lines will be here tomorrow afternoon. I am sure by replacing all the lines all the brake fluid will be purged and the bleeding afterwards will finish out what ever Does not come out when I disconnect the lines.

BTW the black rubber on the flex lines is so bad that just by touching them this black stuff gets on your hand that is all but impossible to wash off, those lines were all toast just waiting their chance to fail.

Crawl under and Check your flex lines guys, just my 2 cents.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #10

The brake likes came, they were exact duplicates of the old lines, spent all day sat with the wife helping to get the old lines off and the new ones on.
when done we started that horrible process of filling the brake resevoirs and when we went to bleed the lines both rear lines were leaking DRIP DRIP DRIP
Pulled one off and did a close inspection, turns out the flair nut was not as long as the old flair nut, so it did not quite push the flair brake line on to it's mating part to make a seal.
Monday I called Mill Supply and started to get a run around, but after I sent them a picture with the lines side by side cooler heads prevailed and said they would look into it. Got a call a few hours later and was told the maker of the lines admitted that the rear lines were made with the wrong flair nut. Just got a mesage thIs morning telling me the replacement lines are on the way and they want me to ship the defective lines back and they are sending me a shipping label.
Will keep you all posted
BTW the step van catalog they sent has ALL SORTS OF CHASSIS PARTS IN IT FOR THE OSHKOSH CHASSIS
Old 02-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #11

Even though there was hiccup with the part that the supplier honored, glad to hear it is working out well.

Dave
Old 02-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Even though there was hiccup with the part that the supplier honored, glad to hear it is working out well.

Dave
I bought a one man brake bleeder at harbor freight, those are some long lines to bleed by pumping the pedal. does anyone have any experience with these things.?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #13

You can either use the one man brake bleeder which keeps air from being sucked back into the system at the wheel cylinder. The containers are small though

You can gravity drain. Open at wheel cylinder then let drain by gravity. Takes a while and you have to keep master cylinder full. After it is drained, you have to bleed the system using the one man bleeder.

You can use one of the hand vacuum kits. Allows you to suck the fluid out of the system but resevouir is small and you have to ensure you do not empty the master cylinder.

Dave

Tags
brake