Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2015, 01:45 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Deano56,

X2 on the relay kit that leesdx1 and Nick-B suggests. It would be a great and easy upgrade. If you like to work with wiring, you could build a wiring harness yourself.

I upgraded the wiring harness, headlamps, and bulbs on my truck.

My little story...driving down the country roads around my house, I noticed my 2000 F350 lighting was so horrible compared to my wife's 2005 Honda Accord. I learned on the truck forums about upgrading the wiring harness.

I like wiring, so I built my own harness:

Stock headlamp bulbs were 55w/65w Sylvania Silverstars.

This is 55w Low Beams before the Harness Upgrade:

This is 65w High Beams before the Harness Upgrade:

This is 55w Lows after Harness Upgrade:

This is 65w Highs after Harness Upgrade:

I took it further and went with 80w/100w Hella bulbs.

This is 80w Lows after Harness Upgrade:

This is 100w Highs after Harness Upgrade:

This is the diagram that I used:

I've been running like this since December of last year. I've only been flashed by oncoming traffic once, and that was only because I was stopped at a stoplight cresting a hill.

It is so great to be able to see while driving my truck at night.

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by r___r View Post
Deano56,

X2 on the relay kit that leesdx1 and Nick-B suggests. It would be a great and easy upgrade. If you like to work with wiring, you could build a wiring harness yourself.

My little story...driving down the country roads around my house, I noticed my 2000 F350 lighting was so horrible compared to my wife's 2005 Honda Accord. I learned on the truck forums about upgrading the wiring harness.

I've been running like this since December of last year. I've only been flashed by oncoming traffic once, and that was only because I was stopped at a stoplight cresting a hill.

Rich
I wish I like wiring but, the fact is I don't get it too well. Being that I have the sealed beam lights now, I would still have to get different housings for your type or newer style of bulb, which I am willing to do. I'm surprised that just by better wiring the lights would be brighter, although the wiring to the lights on this thing is really hacked. I wonder. how much voltage is really getting to the lights.
Deano56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
I wish I like wiring but, the fact is I don't get it too well. Being that I have the sealed beam lights now, I would still have to get different housings for your type or newer style of bulb, which I am willing to do. I'm surprised that just by better wiring the lights would be brighter, although the wiring to the lights on this thing is really hacked. I wonder. how much voltage is really getting to the lights.
I am wondering if the rectangle in your diagram is the wiring block in the picture with your harness
Old 12-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I am wondering if the rectangle in your diagram is the wiring block in the picture with your harness
In the diagram the black rectangle is the battery, and, the rectangle with the different colors is 2 relays side by side. One relay is for the low beam circuit and the other relay is for the high beam circuit. The wiring block in the picture is a fuse block for 6 fuses. The diagram shows only 2 fuses needed.

Here's the relays and fuse block in the engine bay:

Maybe, it might be easiest for you to go with leesdx1's advice. The link he posted looks like a good choice. I read a little bit on it. You'll, probably, get really good customer service support from them. Probably step-by-step install instructions.

Let us know what you go with.

Hope you get your lighting issue fixed.

Rich
Old 12-19-2015, 10:48 PM   #19

Quote:
I'm surprised that just by better wiring the lights would be brighter, although the wiring to the lights on this thing is really hacked. I wonder. how much voltage is really getting to the lights.
Deano56, I would start by installing bigger wire AND relays. if you're not satisfied with the results then go buy different lamps. The link I provided has the kit and step by step instruction. Just study the instructions. Contact Daniel with any questions before or after the sale. This guys knows lights.

BTW~ I was surprised too of the difference with just bigger wire AND relays. You will see the difference. Never mind of the voltage, just do the mod.

R____R, excellent, excellent before and after pix.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:49 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
leesdx1, Thanks for the compliment.

Deano, I don't have any experience with LED's or HID's, but, just upgrading the wiring harness with the stock bulbs was a big difference in lighting. It will help with your lighting issue.

Rich
Old 12-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #21

Quote:
leesdx1, Thanks for the compliment.

Deano, I don't have any experience with LED's or HID's, but, just upgrading the wiring harness with the stock bulbs was a big difference in lighting. It will help with your lighting issue.

Rich
up front of my coach is so hacked with wires, it is terrible. It does need a good cleaning up, just haven't got there yet. I still would like to go with a housing to accept the newer style of bulb, no more taking the whole light fixture out. There should be multiple of them available. What size wire are we talking for better voltage to the lights?
Old 12-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #22

Quote:
up front of my coach is so hacked with wires, it is terrible. It does need a good cleaning up, just haven't got there yet. I still would like to go with a housing to accept the newer style of bulb, no more taking the whole light fixture out. There should be multiple of them available. What size wire are we talking for better voltage to the lights?
I know what you mean by hack of wires. You should be fine with using 12 gauge wire and use heat shrink connectors for exposed elements. DON'T forget the relays. Make sure your crimps are very secure. I pull on each one after crimping to make sure they hold. RE do them if you have to. Route wires in conduit so nothing gets cut or pinched on sharp edges. Zip tie them to keep them secure. Take your time. Headlights are a critical component. You don't want your lights going out in the dark later down the road!

Just in case you missed the link I provided earlier, here it is again. It provides all the info you need for this mod. If you get stump, drop Daniel an email for help. Good luck!!

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
What size wire are we talking for better voltage to the lights?
If you buy the harness already made, then, the wire size will pre-determined by the builder.

Across some of the forums I read, 14ga is recommended. I went with that info in my harness build.

Looking back, I should have used 12ga. Although 12ga is not necessary, the pros are: it is not much bigger in diameter size, still easy to work with, and handles higher wattage (amperage, voltage, and less resistance). I've used nothing smaller than 12ga in all my audio installations.

For building the harness, use stranded wire, not solid.

Rich
Old 12-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #24

Quote:
If you buy the harness already made, then, the wire size will pre-determined by the builder.

Across some of the forums I read, 14ga is recommended. I went with that info in my harness build.

Looking back, I should have used 12ga. Although 12ga is not necessary, the pros are: it is not much bigger in diameter size, still easy to work with, and handles higher wattage (amperage, voltage, and less resistance). I've used nothing smaller than 12ga in all my audio installations.

For building the harness, use stranded wire, not solid.

Rich
14 Ga wire will work, but if you run 8 feet or longer 12 Ga is recommended. Just buy 1 roll of 100 feet 12Ga.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #25

Quote:
I recently ordered a similar set for my Gulf Stream, without the goofy side LEDs and the pseudo-projector lens. The set I got was $62.
Don't expect them to perform like factory projector lamps! They're just made to look like projectors.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Driving our coach at night made me feel like Ray Charles lost in the woods.
The lights were aimed up and sideways, we could see all the birds in the trees and the rabbits in the fields but could not see the pot holes in front of us.
I tried doing a rough aiming but kept running out of adjustment.
I went ahead and converted to the H4 lamps (X4).
When I took out the seal beams three out of four were installed with the word "TOP" on the bottom, which is why I could not aim them.
After going to the H4 I found the connectors and switches getting hot due to the increased load so I also did the relay and harness upgrade. I wired mine direct to the battery with a self resetting breaker in between to protect for shorts.
The headlight were so far out of aim I invested in a used headlight aimer off EBAY for $75. because where I park it is near impossible to get it up to a wall.
Best investment I have done my headlights and lent it out to others.
What an amazing difference, and we are not blinding the oncoming traffic.
In my research for Ontario we have to be careful because a number of the High Intensitey and LED lights are not street legal here which is why I chose the H4 and also I can buy replacement lamps everywhere.
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Deano56,

Rich
These bulbs have to create a ton of heat and they haven't melted the housings?
Old 12-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcox1 View Post
These bulbs have to create a ton of heat and they haven't melted the housings?
I'll take a couple of pics and post them.

Tags
light, upgrade