Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Headlight conversion for MH

we have a 1987 Southwind with the old sealed beam headlights. Has anyone done a conversion from sealed beams to the newer halogen headlights? If so would you share what you used and how you did it?
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #2

If your coach has the glass lens , sealed beam, 5" x 7" rectangular, or 7" round, headlamps. There are halogen replacements available.
Napa/ Auto Zone just specify , halogen when you order at the counter.
I wish ,I had the option to convert back to the, glass sealed beams, they are definitely better than the constantly yellowing plastic , crap , that the design engineers , decided was the only option for aerodynamics in the mid 80's.
I guess the needed a way to charge $250 for a headlight lens , rather than $15 for a sealed beam.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If your coach has the glass lens , sealed beam, 5" x 7" rectangular, or 7" round, headlamps. There are halogen replacements available.
Napa/ Auto Zone just specify , halogen when you order at the counter.
I wish ,I had the option to convert back to the, glass sealed beams, they are definitely better than the constantly yellowing plastic , crap , that the design engineers , decided was the only option for aerodynamics in the mid 80's.
I guess the needed a way to charge $250 for a headlight lens , rather than $15 for a sealed beam.
Thank you for this info,I will check them out and get new headlights, the originals are so dim i can drive on high beam and no one even notices
Old 07-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #4

Make sure your getting the right voltage to the headlights, and also make sure you have good clean grounds and connections, these will make head lights dim, also check your headlight alignment. You can also add some extra driving lights as well.
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
Make sure your getting the right voltage to the headlights, and also make sure you have good clean grounds and connections, these will make head lights dim, also check your headlight alignment. You can also add some extra driving lights as well.
gbstewart
Thanks , for adding this to the posts, I had not finished my coffee this morning and forgot to rec-commend these tests when I posted.
!/2 asleep , I guess.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

Sylvania has 3 different grade headlights with special lenses to increase efficiency. I changed out the ones on my motorhome and it made a substantial difference.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you all for your answers, I already did the check on voltage and alignment, but did not know about halogen sealed beam lights, I will be getting some in short order now.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
For those that have the newer "Plastic" lenses, there is a kit you can get at most of auto shops that removes the yellowing that the lenses build up. Used it on my truck and made it almost like new. It also works on the rear lights. Mine look like new!! I need to do this once a year. You can get those "Blue Lights" But you need to do some wiring for them to work. Thats the way i am going. I am also working on a way to mount the Driving lights on the front of the truck. Makes it a lot better to see the road at night where there is nothing but desert and a black ribbon to go on forever. Have fun, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:53 AM   #9

Polishing the lenses ends up being a waste of time. The reason is that the lenses have a UV coating. Once you polish it, you have taken the UV coating of, which means the lens will deteriorate much faster. Your bets bet is to go to headlight thread to figure out which headlight was used from what vehicle and replace them.