Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2022, 06:32 PM   #1

Heat element/ heat exchanger for furnace

Found out yesterday that we inherited a problem with the furnace in Big Blue. Started smelling propane exhaust most of the time the furnace was running. long story short found Mud_dauber nest in exhaust, pulled furnace and disassembled to inspect heat exchanger have spent the day trying to get it welded or brazed but it's too far gone, just a spiderweb of heat cracks. I have been all over the web trying to find a new heat exchanger or as listed in the factory parts list 37959 element, but the damn thing seems to be obsolete. I can find used units (the whole heater) and new 8531-IV DCLP furnaces, the new ones are a grand plus, and I really don't want to buy a used unit to find out the bloody heat exchanger is bad.

Our night time lows are hitting the single digits (7 degrees at 7am today) and the pair of electrics we're using to survive pull about 20 amps, 27 w/ hot water heater. So I really would like to get this fixed and re-installed. I'm going to be giving all the local RV repair guys and dealers a call tomorrow to see if I can find another "element" new or used.

Does anybody know where I might be able to find a new heat exchanger (element), or have a reliable source for a used one?

Thanks, Dave
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2022, 07:06 PM   #2

The heat exchanger is the "heart" of any gas fired forced air furnace. Replacements, e en on residential units, are difficult/impossible to find.

Time for a new furnace OR if you do not boondocks much, just buy a couple of electric heaters.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:29 PM   #3

Oldwizard, I am aware of the importance of the heat exchanger, and on a home unit for the sticks and bricks I wouldn't be trying to replace the heat exchanger, and I doubt a mud dauber nest would take out a home unit. On the other hand it seems to be a somewhat common problem on RV units, so the repair parts should still be available in my opinion, especially when the problem could have been prevented by the manufacturer with 50 cents worth of stainless steel screen.

The manufacturer is and has been aware of the problem for a long time, why else would they put in the service manuals that the intake and exhaust ducts must be inspected for bird and wasp nests, and that if such obstructions are found "Chamber should be cleaned if obstructions
are present, by removing the chamber and flushing the
unit out with water." from every manual I have for these units. Owners, Training, & Service which I have PDF's of for several years.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:26 AM   #4

i have a unit that i took out and replaced with a new unit several years ago, it was working but it would shut off for no reason may be happened once or twice a year you can have it for free if you could use it
ben3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3 View Post
i have a unit that i took out and replaced with a new unit several years ago, it was working but it would shut off for no reason may be happened once or twice a year you can have it for free if you could use it

Sorry I didn't see your reply sooner Ben. I bought one off Ebay for 225 shipped to me that is supposed to be good, arrives Wednesday. I also ordered a new gasket for the heat exchanger so I can remove it and clean it before I put it in. Bug screens will be coming too, far too cheap and easy to prevent the problem. In my search I did learn the last retail price for the heat exchanger was $212.00 so for a few more bucks including shipping I got it (hopefully), and a bunch of spare parts. Mine has a new motor I just put in last spring, And I've re-soldered all the components on the igniter board, and I'll check the new one, and carry one of them for a spare.

If I bought a junker I would like to reserve the right to take you up on your offer.

Dave
Old 12-02-2022, 05:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3 View Post
Ben3 I sent you a DM about that heater/furnace. The one I bought turned out to be total junk, even the wiring harness is effed up. I'm having to go through Ebay to get my money back, guy has put me on ignore since I received the unit

Tags
ace, element, furnace, heat