Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #1

Hello From Western South Dakota!

Hello all I am a proud new owner of a 1973 Winnebago MinniWinnie. It's in pretty good shape for its age and considering it cost me $300.00 and made the 40 mile trip home with no issues I'm pretty pleased. That being said I have no idea how anything beyond the basic automotive related (chassis) stuff works. Can anyone recommend a book that explains how the electrical system works, how to check the water system, and such like that? And it would need to be for this vintage too. It appears that the fresh water tank is gone, and it is to be hooked up to a hose. Is this common? The hot water tank is still there but I suspect it may have rust issues. A notice by the electrical plug states it is to be plugged into 110 volt only but the plug is huge. I guess what I am saying is I have never gone Rving so don't know what the plug ins or procedures are when you go to hook up at a campground. I don't have the money to just take it somewhere and have anything done to it and I don't want to do that anyway. I want to learn about it and how it works. Thanks
Geetoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetoe View Post
Hello all I am a proud new owner of a 1973 Winnebago MinniWinnie. Thanks
Hi and .
Here is the book that bought when I first started RV'ing
twenty+ years ago. Amazon.com: RV Repair and Maintenance Manual: Updated and Expanded (RV Repair & Maintenance Manual) (9780934798709): Bob Livingston: Books
It has a lot of info on all that you asked about. The electrical plug needs an adapter, you can get them at Walmart or Camping World. You can also join the Vintage club on this site.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome! Feel free to ask any questions you have; include pictures of any mysteries if you can and someone here will have the answer.

As to your fresh water system; most RVs have both an onboard fresh water tank and a connection for a hose so you can connect directly to city water. The fill for your water tank may not be anywhere near your city water hook-up, which is usually on the driver's side, as is the electrical hook-up and the dump valve or valves for the waste system

Your big electric plug is a standard 30 amp plug; this is a normal size for campground electrical hook-ups. You can get a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter (try Walmart in the RV stuff or Amazon) so you can hook up to an ordinary household outlet at home.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #4

Nice find and Im sure your proud! We need pics!
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Sweet i have a 74 mostly original. If you need pics let me know
greggholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #6

Good Morning thank you all for the replies! I have ordered the book suggested. I found an adapter and plugged it in. It didn't barbeque itself and the lights came on so that was good. The fridge does not work and that is the only place where it appears someone has been " into" the wiring. It does not have a generator, so I will need suggestions on that. I will get pics soon.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't be too sure the fridge does not work.

Gas absorption refrigerators, like the one in your RV take a very, very long time to cool; count on 24 hours for it to get down to working temperature when plugged into AC power. Check the front of fridge to make sure AC and not gas (propane) is selected and that the cord in the back is plugged in.

Meanwhile it is VERY important that your fridge be LEVEL- put a bubble level on the freezer shelf and move the rig up on blocks or whatever it needs until the bubble is no more than 1/4 bubble off level, THEN try turning it on.

You can and will ruin an RV fridge by running it off level when you are parked (not important when driving).

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like quite the find regarding your rig. Take your time and go over it piece by piece and I'm sure you'll have it all up and running in no time. As you already have, ask questions when you run into trouble and if possible post a pic as well for something that may need to be identified. Sure envy you being out in South Dakota, wish we were there. Enjoy the new to you ride and hope you have many funfilled miles down the road. Be safe and Happy Motoring.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #9

Pic of New Toy

Here's a pic of my 1973 Minnie Winnie. I want to see if it posts and if I did it right.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2011, 02:02 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetoe View Post
Here's a pic of my 1973 Minnie Winnie. I want to see if it posts and if I did it right.
My 74.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #11

Very nice!
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Thanks but its a little rough in places
Old 08-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #13

Aren't we all?