Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #1

Help! 1978 Trans Van in registration limbo...

Hi everyone! Sorry to make my first post such an uninteresting one, but I'm starting to get concerned about my registration...

Does anyone know if Florida allows you to insure a vehicle that isn't registered to you? I purchased insurance for my '78 Trans Van so that the mechanic can test drive it as he works on it, but it won't be healthy enough to drive back to register in Florida for... potentially a while. If he doesn't finish it by the end of the month, it's going to have to stay here in Louisiana for another two months because I'm going home to Florida for a two-month gig. I tried to get the local small town police to sign my VIN verification so I can turn in the registration paperwork without the rig physically present, but they said no. They don't believe that's a real thing.

Am I going to get my license suspended or anything over a camper van undergoing restoration in a different state? It has valid tags in its home state, I have the title and I'm going to register it in Florida as soon as my mechanic says it can make the trip. This upcoming job just means if I can't do it by the end of the month, it has to wait another 2 months. I could completely remove it from my auto policy but then the mechanic couldn't road test it at all for other issues...

I was also hoping to drive it to this Florida gig so that I could work on it myself over the summer... but that's a minor thing compared to getting in trouble with the DMV.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Geddycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 05:37 AM   #2

I think this question is best answered by your insurance company however I believe once you explain the situation they will have no problem insuring the vehicle.

Since the rig is in Louisiana why not call the Local Police Dept. and have them meet you at the repair shop to verify the VIN.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think an insurane company will gladly take your money That is what they are in business for after all.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #4

I live in Florida, and AFAIK they won’t care. I fly out of state and borrow motorcycles from friends for weekend trips all the time and always pick them up on my insurance policy and have never had a problem. Florida will care if you have the vehicle registered in your name WITHOUT insurance however, as the agencies report monthly to the state DMV/tax collectors and the state cross references any registered but uninsured vehicles, and they can suspend your license. But the insurance company will gladly take your money wherever the vehicle is located, no matter the owner. Just explain to them that you are working out of state but the vehicle is back in LA and that you go back there regularly so you need to keep it insured to be able to use it when you are in town.
Tidy Tabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:31 PM   #5

Work was so slow today that I called the DMV while I was on standby.

For posterity, in case anyone ever needs this information:
  • You CAN insure a vehicle that isn't registered in Florida or in your name.
  • You have 30 days from the sale date listed on the title to register the vehicle in Florida.
  • If it takes longer than 30 days, a one-time late fee of $20 is added to your registration.
  • There are no other negative consequences to doing this as long as the vehicle has a current registration somewhere, if it's going to be driven.
Geddycorn is offline   Reply With Quote