Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #1

Help identifying a 1960's Swiss Colony

Hello All,
New member here. Recently purchased a Swiss Colony travel trailer, and not really sure of the model or year. Scoured the net, but there does not seem to be much information on Swiss Colony trailers. Birch paneled interior is perfect, most of the original upholstery is missing, though. It is in fantastic original shape with only slight water damage that was limited to the ceiling and top sills near the roof vent. Currently in the process of replacing 5 of the roof cross braces and a small section of wall paneling. Removed all of the ceiling paneling to make sure the rest of the braces were good. Previous owner had resealed the roof seams with a black tar type sealer that eventually dried out and cracked. I am going to remove it and reseal it with a flexible marine epoxy sealer product called Gluvit. It had been off the road but well protected for some time. I am so excited to have found it in such nice shape, especially here in the Northeast.
Anybody have some info regarding what this model is called? I'm still trying to find the VIN, the tounge is quite rusty.

Thanks for any help.
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010073.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	27318   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010074.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	27319  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010076.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	27320   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010077.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	27321  

NickP178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #2

It looks like a camper that is missing the truck!
Really though, that is waaaay cool.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #3

Thanks IWill,
My fiance and I moved up to this from a '77 Starcraft PopUp, so we are really excited about having something with a longer usable season. I looked at about a dozen vintage trailers before buying this one, and this was cheaper and in better shape than the rest.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 10-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

It's beautiful inside. I wish the new ones came with that type of wood paneling.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #5

Nice find Nick! Looks great as is! Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I cant help with info on your camper, but wanted to say that the old girl still looks pretty good. I hope you get much enjoyment from it. Good luck with your rebuilding, hope it goes well. These older campers for the most part are still well worth the effort to get them back in operational condition as they were pretty well made. The paneling looks very good. Post some pictures when your finished I would enjoy seeing her.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Nick,
I have a 1968 Swiss Colony similar to yours. I got mine last April and have been fixing it up I am not doing a restoration just doing some cosmetic fixes. I put in a new black and white checkerboard floor. Replaced the back splash with a sheet of aluminum. Painted the outside white and turquoise (to match my sink inside). Re-upholstered the cushions and made new curtains. I added full moon hubcaps to the wheels and polished the door. I do have a short in the running lights that I am chasing, but will find that in the spring. Good luck with yours.

Regards,

Wayland
Cornville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #8

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Wayland, where is the serial number on your trailer? I have been over every inch of this thing including underneath on a creeper and can't find one anywhere. I've wire wheeled the whole tongue and don't see any numbers. It dosen't look like anyone removed a plate anywhere either.. no sign of broken rivets or empty holes... nothing inside the trailer anywhere in regards to labels either.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #9

Check on the axle, sometimes they stamped the S# there.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #10

WOW!! That is a beauty!
Funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
On my old travel trailer, all the information and serial numbers were on the back of the closet doors. My 1969 Scamper didn't have a VIN just a serial number and that's what the DMV used to license it. Hope that helps.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
vin number

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP178 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Wayland, where is the serial number on your trailer? I have been over every inch of this thing including underneath on a creeper and can't find one anywhere. I've wire wheeled the whole tongue and don't see any numbers. It dosen't look like anyone removed a plate anywhere either.. no sign of broken rivets or empty holes... nothing inside the trailer anywhere in regards to labels either.
Yo Nick,

I got my VIN from the old registration the previous owner gave me. Actually it was from the owner before him as he never registered the trailer and only used it as an extra bedroom for guests. I haven't actually looked for the number but the next time I'm at the trailer I will take a look and see what I can find. I did have a dealer sticker on it that said it came from Kramer Trailer Sales in Topsfield MA. I Googled them and found they were out of business. There was a post card for sale onEbay for them.

When I get more familiar with this site I will post some pictures of my trailer. It's under a tarp now waiting for the snow to melt here in Maine.

Regards,

Wayland
Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #13

I know nothing about these, but I think it is very cool.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Swiss Colony Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornville View Post
Yo Nick,

I got my VIN from the old registration the previous owner gave me. Actually it was from the owner before him as he never registered the trailer and only used it as an extra bedroom for guests. I haven't actually looked for the number but the next time I'm at the trailer I will take a look and see what I can find. I did have a dealer sticker on it that said it came from Kramer Trailer Sales in Topsfield MA. I Googled them and found they were out of business. There was a post card for sale onEbay for them.

When I get more familiar with this site I will post some pictures of my trailer. It's under a tarp now waiting for the snow to melt here in Maine.

Regards,

Wayland

Here is a picture of my 1968. I hope it will load.

Wayland