Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Yes, that helps, but keep in mind we only know what you tell us so if this sounds nit-picky, it's only because there are many possible interpretations of information.

If I understand this last post correctly, all your problems are with the 12v system. Still, it's not clear about the issues with the 12v system.

"All 12volt issues no 110ac issues when i hook up to shore power i have everything!"

[B]Should that be three separate sentences

"All 12volt issues. No 110ac issues. When I hook up to shore power I have everything."

If this^^ is what you mean, then I will ask the following questions:

1. Is the 12v problem only with the system for the coach or also with the chassis (I ask because you initially asked about the light switches, many of which are typically chassis wired?)

2. Can you confirm that you have 12v when hooked to shore power?

Just to get things started, and based on an understanding that the problem is with the coach 12v system but that you have power to it when hooked to shore power, it could be a battery problem. How old are your batteries and have you tested them for charge or load tested them?

On shore power, the converter is powering the system and charging the batteries. If the batteries are bad, the 12v will be immediately lost when you disconnect the converter. Does this sound like your issue?
The batteries are brand new I have no power when im not hooked up to shore power, my power steep works so there is some 12volt power in the system somewere but not my lights or anything else like water pump or fridge so as of now when i hook up to shore power all power works
Plumkrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumkrazy View Post
The batteries are brand new I have no power when im not hooked up to shore power, my power steep works so there is some 12volt power in the system somewere but not my lights or anything else like water pump or fridge so as of now when i hook up to shore power all power works
Okay, this^^ narrows things down a bit.

On many coaches, including mine, the steps are wired to the chassis batteries so it is likely yours are as well. That would explain why the steps work but nothing from the house battery bank works.

Your house system, from the batteries, appears to be the problem. You have a complete working 12v house system when plugged in to shore power which tells you two important things: 1) That all your fuses and 12v circuits are good, and 2) your inverter/charger is working, at least to provide 12v directly to the house. I could add a third item, but I don't know the wiring of your coach. That third item is that the house battery disconnect is ON since you do have 12v when on shore power. I don't know of coaches where the 12v from the inverter/converter overrides the cut-off, but they may exist. I just assume you have the battery disconnect turned ON. Some coaches will not charge the house batteries if that switch is not ON.

First thing you might check is to see if the new batteries are, indeed, fully charged. You may have a problem with the bi-directional solenoid that is supposed to send a charge to both battery banks. If you test the batteries with a meter, let us know the results as that can tell us what further paths to follow.

If the batteries are fully charged, then the suspicion moves to the connection from the house batteries to the house. There are some high amp 12v fuses that may be involved and here is where I will hand off any advice to someone familiar with the wiring for your particular coach, or to you if you have the wiring diagrams.

At this stage, at least, you have some things to check out that may help. Keep us updated.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
The feedback so far is pretty good, but allow me to give possible alternatives:
L-R
Ludicrous Speed, Shower head, Gravity On/Off, Summon the Mighty Thor (the God, not the brand), Hot shower left, Hot shower right, Seismograph.

This is the way. I have spoken.
Cheers,
Paul
Old 01-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #18

There is were i dont know if the battery disconect switch is on or off? I have one switch in my bedroom that has a light switch up is for shore power there is a middle and down is for generator power is that my battery disconect switch? Or is there some outher switch somewhere i cant find? I have looked in rhe storage areas under hood and in trunk and still have not found a battery disconect switch on my pinnacle 1991 even looked by steps i have a switch by the dash in pic is that it?
Old 01-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by otrt View Post
The feedback so far is pretty good, but allow me to give possible alternatives:
L-R
Ludicrous Speed, Shower head, Gravity On/Off, Summon the Mighty Thor (the God, not the brand), Hot shower left, Hot shower right, Seismograph.

This is the way. I have spoken.
Cheers,
Paul
Do u work on rv’s?
Old 01-22-2020, 11:48 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Battery disconnect switches are usually somewhere near the door. If there is a cabinet above the door they may be in there.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:03 AM   #21

I will look near there in the morning thankyou!
Old 01-23-2020, 02:41 AM   #22

Quote:
I will look near there in the morning thankyou!
I had a 94 Pinnacle and the battery disconnect switch was down low to the left as you come in the door, had a 4 inch square plate and was labeled Battery Disconnect or Battery Store I think, with a light. One other thing on my 94 the shore power would bypass the disconnect switch and supply 12 volt when generator was running or plugged into shore power.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcker View Post
I had a 94 Pinnacle and the battery disconnect switch was down low to the left as you come in the door, had a 4 inch square plate and was labeled Battery Disconnect or Battery Store I think, with a light. One other thing on my 94 the shore power would bypass the disconnect switch and supply 12 volt when generator was running or plugged into shore power.

Not being familiar with Pinnacle, this looks like the best bet to help you. Your problem is consistent with the battery disconnect being OFF, and this post confirms that, on some Pinnacles at least, the 12v will flow to the coach when on shore power.

Good luck, it looks like you may soon have a remedy.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #24

Would it be possible for it not to have one?
Old 01-23-2020, 04:11 PM   #25

Becuse for everything i habe gone over this place and no luck finding this disconnect
Old 01-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
lol, yes I do. I also work on dad jokes.
Quote:
Do u work on rv’s?
Old 01-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #27

Well im haveing a dam hard tine finding this discount switch tearing my hair out i still have
Old 01-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #28

Okay, I did some looking for something on a 91 Pinnacle owners manual. All I could find is here, and for a 94, but it may apply. https://media.thormotorcoach.com/med...ers-manual.pdf

Scroll to p. 58-59 where there is a drawing and list of dash switches. Apparently, the system disconnect is a dash switch, #4 in the manual, which looks a lot like the last switch you asked about in your original post.

Further, in your picture of switches, is the label that reads 12 volt kill switch located under dash.

One of those may be the battery disconnect we are talking about.