Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 04:15 PM   #1

Historic license plates

How many people here have registered their older campers with Historic license plates?

Of those campers how many of you have driven them on long trips across other other states?

Have you been pulled over for driving with these plates ?

I'm considering a 3000 mile round trip with them on my 22' class C
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 04:22 AM   #2

Why? I looked at MO's restrictions, they're similar to MI. That's way outside the intended use for both states, and probably most other states. All it would take would be an observant cop, you broken down on the side of the road, taking a break in a rest area, and it would probably get impounded. And you'd have a heck of a time getting it back, they're not going to release it with improper plates.

You sound like you've got a great trip planned. Don't turn it into a disaster over something as minor as that.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Impounded? Very doubtful. Out of your home state? I’d say the odds of even a ticket is infinitesimally minuscule. Most states allow historical vehicles to be driven to “events” or “parades”. Enjoy your trip.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
How many people here have registered their older campers with Historic license plates?

Of those campers how many of you have driven them on long trips across other other states?

Have you been pulled over for driving with these plates ?

I'm considering a 3000 mile round trip with them on my 22' class C
In Georgia I can run a 1969 Georgia plate on my Mustang as long as I keep the current plate and affidavit signed by the DMV in the car. This is totally legal for any state I drive in.

Is this the type historic plate you're talking about? If it is, I see no reason why you'd have any issues in other states.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:40 PM   #5

Grog,

We have a classic, vintage motorhome.
We live in Michigan that does have similar, but not identical restrictions to Missouri.
We can legally drive it:
To shows and events,
For repair and testing (Mi has no distance limit),
The month of August.
It is not to be used as a daily driver.

We have had a year of manufacture plate for 14 years.
We are members of a type specific organization that has two annual conventions, and are invited to attend other chapters nationwide. Nobody said we had to take the short way to get there.

We have be stopped by local LEO in seven states twice because of incidences on the road (we broke something) and the others because the officers wanted to see her close up.

My sister and BIL have a similar coach and go all over with the authentic plates and have the same experience with interested LEO.

My advice: Get it, and don't sweat it.

Frank, 1973 GMC
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #6

I'm in Illinois with EA plates, that's a expanded use antique plate. Last winter i traveled to Arizona in December and returned in March, no problems. If a leo stopped me and asked i would tell them I was on my way to or from a "rally" in quartzite, lol
Old 06-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #7

Sounds like if I don't give them a reason to pull me over I'll be just fine.
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote