Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Honest opinions wanted

I'm attaching two pictures (rough sketches) of my concept for a paint job which will be the lipstick on the "Pig", so to speak. I really would like to hear from you whether you love it or hate it. I promise I won't put you on a hit list if you don't like it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pig repairs 138.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	49339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pig repairs 139.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	49340  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile Pig Lipstick !!

Looks as good or better than the horse tail paint jobs on some new rigs. If you like it go for it!!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I like how if you concentrate on the one color it looks like flames moving from front to back. If you concentrate on the white, it looks like water moving from back to front.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #4

It looks like your on fire. You might have firetrucks following you down the highway!!
Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like it!

Just 2 comments...don't expect an individualized paint scheme to help at resale - Most people like ordinary. And, the dark areas will be MUCH hotter in summer than the light areas - selection of the dark paint color will decide how much hotter.

Had a jet black truck - never again Too hot in the summer sun.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Will sure stand out.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Thank you for your comments so far...Keep em comming! I did think about the temperature problem. The original idea was to do it in black and white, as that is so striking in it's contrast, but I have since had some thoughts that maybe I should temper it by going with a grey instead of black. That would take away some of the appeal, I think, but may be better from a practical standpoint. I could go with a light grey instead of white, and dark grey instead of black.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #8

Would NOT work for me.
Sorry
Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #9

I would suggest maybe a darker blue and white. That way you get the flame affect but it will look cool as if the water was running over it as someone earlier posted. I think it's cool. It's yours, run with it.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As an owner of an older motorhome I get a little concerned when I'm reserving at a more upscale site. I have yet to be turned away, but an unusual older unit could be a deal breaker. Stories are not hard to find about people having problems with older units, just so you are aware.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #11

It's a little disturbing. Lots of tension. It would be hard to relax looking at that.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #12

I see flying monkeys. Sorry.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make no mistake my general opinion is that this is a nice piece of work. But you have encouraged honest opinion so here is mine. This opinion and a dollar can get you a cup of coffee. I am not suggesting anything that I would not or have not done myself.

If this is design then it is yours and if you like it that is what counts. The one comment suggesting that when looked at it can take on differing looks from flames to water is accurate and some design improvement may rectify that look. Perhaps shading during the final painting graduating from dark to light.

If you are representing flames even stylized flames then I would suggest you do some more drawing on small scale and perfect the image. Maybe look or some other artist representations. I do carving and have done drawing and painting (I am an amateur). I know that the final look is very important and often takes a critical eye. My suggestion is to look long and hard at some other work and then look back at yours and see if the look can be improved. Often small subtle changes can make a difference.

I recently carved a large size rocking horse for my grandson. It was solid wood. During the carving for the longest time I could tell that something just was not right. I kept looking at drawing and pictures of horses and back at my work when finally it dawned on me. The legs were too thick. I carved off quite a bit of material and suddenly a pretty authentic looking horse appeared where none had been before.

The other comments about resale etc are very good and helpful I would imagine. If you have any concerns about resale something more original would protect you better, when you get this done it will appeal to a smaller group of people.

Good luck on your project.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I definitely would avoid dark colors for the heat. You can get just as much contrast by using complementary colors (on the color wheel), but that may be more "color" than you want. Alternatively you can crisp up the lines with a border, which will allow you to use more muted colors, but still get a good deal of contrast.

I'm not keen on the design, but that's just me. I would prefer a more vintage design with cleaner lines...and vintage colors....maybe inspired from some older cars. But design is very personal. If you like it, go for it!