Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #1

Hotwiring a '93 Fleetwood Bounder. Need to move it

Sorry, I'm new at motorhome troubleshooting and maintenance. I just got a decent vintage Bounder on a Chevy chassis. None of the dashlights, or anything, come on after installing a charged battery and turn the ignition. What should I check before starting and driving it. Is there a way to Hotwire it as I need to move it. I looked in the BCC and cannot see anything obviously out of whack. Is there some kind of safety switch I dont know about. The steps and hydraulic levelers are still down as there is no electricity to retract them. It's been sitting a year and a half. Thanks
Roadtripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2018, 01:15 AM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
It doesn’t sound like your battery or battery hookup is correct. Within our motorcycle forum, we have folks with similar problems and we encourage them to check their ground to frame. Follow the NEG wire from the battery back to the frame and clean the connection...

Just an idea... don’t know much about hotwiring, otherwise I’d have a split bumper 70 1/2 Camaro Z28 sitting in a garage out back!
Old 05-05-2018, 02:53 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
did you look above entrance door to see if the battery kill switches are on
jwb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions and I don't have a Cameron or any sports car hot wired either lol. When I return in a couple days to the Bounder I'll look for the Kill switch you mentioned. And then look at the Neg grounds.
The "house" batteries are dead. Will a motorhome start if they are either dead or missing? I think I need to read a description of how a motorhome electrical system is designed to work. Then call Fleetwood for schematics. Happy troubleshooting.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:58 AM   #5
YC1

Be very careful if there are loose wires about the house batteries. They can become connected to the engine batteries when switches are on or the ignition key is turned.

You must be sure to insulate them immediately for safety.

There is a steep learning curve with these snow flakes.

As mentioned, there must be a switch off or the batteries have not been installed properly.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #6

Ok, YC1, thank you for the heads up regarding the live wires. I'll try and do some homework in the morning over coffee. I was very distracted by the Fantastic Spring day this weekend. And back cramps.
I'm taking fresh gas, jumper cables, voltmeter, basic toolset, starting fluid, fuel stabilizer, hand cleaner, coveralls, cardboard to lay on, flashlight, etc. Oh yes, the ignition keys would be helpful.
I should probably call Fleetwoid to ask if they will email me the wiring schematics just in case it needs further study.
I have no idea how old the gas is. It would smell bad I suppose if it's very old.
The rig has 40,000 miles. But not much maintenance records.
I remember my Dad having our nice Oldmobile Vista Cruiser started by a tow truck driver. My Dad tried to start it for a couple hours. It turned out to be in neutral lol. Not his best day.

Tags
bounder, fleetwood, wiring