Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #1

How do I know what type of roof I have?

I recently got a 1988 Fleetwood Tioga Arrow. It needs some water leaks taken care of and needs to be resealed. I am a total newbie to the RV world and I can't figure out what my best option is because I don't know what my roof material is. Also I want to do this on a budget so I would really appreciate any help.
Papparonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #2

Picture of the roof

Here is a picture to help figure this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	569.0 KB
ID:	218644  
Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #3

Prepping Roof

Get up carefully on your roof and give it a darn good scrubbing with something like Simple Green. Then maybe we can help you identify what kind of roof you have.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:13 AM   #4

Give this a watch

https://youtu.be/f5KraEQifpo
Sk Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Pappa,

When washing that roof make sure the rig is a little higher at the front so the water sheds off easier than if it is level. That way won't drain into any leaks.

Check out any elastomeric roof coating. Home Depot has it that sells by the gallon. After cleaning the roof and replacing all your caulk around the vents, appliances on the roof, and any other areas that are caulked you then paint this coating on the roof. Several layers of it.

Should last for several years and cost around $200 with all supplies. Check out videos on YouTube r/e doing this. These videos can be a huge help.

There is also another type of RV roof, fiberglass. Have you done a Google search on your RV? You might find info on it and it could tell you a lot about it. Were there manuals with the rig? This can give you a lot of info.

Search for a thread called "RV Fixes for Newbies and Oldies". Just some info you may find interesting since you are new. Best of luck to you and remember to post pictures of before and after. We love to see what others are doing to their rigs.

Lymme
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #6

I started with the manual and it wasn't much help. Called Fleetwood today and they told me it was a aluminum roof. Would the paint at Home Depot work on a coated metal roof?
Old 09-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe it would but with all work prep is the most important. Take the time to do it right.

Clean the roof very well. Dry it. Sand the roof and clean it again. Plan on having 2 days of good weather to finish the painting part.
Follow the directions completely.

Henry
4.75 Gal. 287 Solar-Flex White Roof Coating

Check it out and see if it works.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof