Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #1

How do you insure your old baby?

I just called my insurer to ask IF the eons old tree HAD fallen Saturday morning.....no coverage.
Was then given the offer of 500 deduct, 5000 personal effects, some tiny "hurt at a campground" coverage and a grand for if you live in it FT and are displaced for a whopping 881 every 6 months.
Anyone else have any desire to share what they are and are not paying/covering?
Life is life and many things just cannot be replaced but would I be insane to just carry basic liability and hope for the best? I have one of those lives where if it can go wrong believe me, it will!
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #2

What company are you talking about?

Our 1999 Safari TREK is insured with National General under a Good Sam policy. $275 every 6 months, and it drops a dollar or so each cycle. We also had the same policy for the TREK we bought new in 1995, but the premium was a lot higher for a $78,000 (list price) vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
I just called my insurer to ask IF the eons old tree HAD fallen Saturday morning.....no coverage.
Was then given the offer of 500 deduct, 5000 personal effects, some tiny "hurt at a campground" coverage and a grand for if you live in it FT and are displaced for a whopping 881 every 6 months.
Anyone else have any desire to share what they are and are not paying/covering?
Life is life and many things just cannot be replaced but would I be insane to just carry basic liability and hope for the best? I have one of those lives where if it can go wrong believe me, it will!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #3

We insured for a set price and are not FT and under a certain mileage/yr. $700/yr. Progressive. (At least it was $700 this year - bound to be higher next year with them - that's another story though)
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We got our insurance thru the AARP with the Hartford Insurance. For the MH we pay $941/yr. We also got our homeowners and auto insurance thru the Hartford at the same time. We unfortunately had an accident with the MH and they paid for everything (except the deductible) - no problems.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
What company are you talking about?

Our 1999 Safari TREK is insured with National General under a Good Sam policy. $275 every 6 months, and it drops a dollar or so each cycle. We also had the same policy for the TREK we bought new in 1995, but the premium was a lot higher for a $78,000 (list price) vehicle.
The Gecko....
Old 05-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

Ours is $311.00 per year with full glass coverage and actual cash value minus $250.00 deductible for a '94 26' Flair with Safeco. Could be worth a look.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #7

Both Matt and I have insurance through a local agent that works with Allied. We both pay more than we might for an "Agreed Value" policy for historic (over 25) vehicles. We had to get appraisals and submit those and pictures but if either of these treasures gets sincerely obliterated we can get the appraised value. Maybe we would be able to replace the coach. Matt Maybe, his is a GMC and there are still a few around, but I have not seen another Cayo in a decade.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #8

Well, now it is sitting on the street at an uphill climb due to that tree losing more massive limbs just now despite no wind.

We may be displaced from the house INTO the RV before its over.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #9

I insured with Progressive.
My current policy is $346 for the year on a part-time full coverage with a $1,000 deductible.
I was contemplating a liability only policy. It would have saved me about $200 per year.
Very glad I did not.
Last autumn, at night, while trying to turn around in a dead end neighborhood, I got the back driver side wheels stuck in a drainage ditch. The flexing of the RV cracked the windshield.
It required a heavy duty tow truck to get me free which was $600.
The windshield ran a little over $4,000.
That was the best $200 that I have ever spent.

I wonder what is going to happen to my police come renewal.
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote