Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

I don't know what to do anymore!

We got a 1978 Kings Highway a month ago because we need it to move from ft lauderdale to AZ with 2 dogs .First there was problem about start the rv so we replaced starter, then alternator, fuel filter.we left ft lauderdale on April 3rd and the Rv broke down there was a lot of back fires, fuel wasn't get to the filter we had to pour gas in carburator many times. After fixed something always found new problems every single day. Other day the carburator overflow so we replaced a new one, also gas was coming out of intake while we driving, we tried to fill gas but it didn't accept so we had to go to mechanic to hook up the reserve tank ( it wasnt connect before) we use gas from reserve tank and after drove for 10 miles there was a lot of knocking sound from carburator so we had to stop at Zephyrhills but all shop are booked .Today is April 13th we just made it to Zephyrhills. We re so stress out the AC in the Rv doesn't work so we try to travel when it's not hot for dogs. My husband does a lot of works in it and we paid for mechanic a lot already. I'm so nervous riding on this thing now. I just wanna get rid of it and rent a truck but my husband doesn't think so. There was a time that the Rv broke down in the middle of the road on the hot day so I had to take dogs out of there and my husband just pour gas on carburator and it's just backfire. I just hate it and don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestion ? Sorry about my English*
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So sorry to hear of your unfortunate mechanical problems. Vintage RV's are typically a labor of love, and can take much time and effort to get them back to their former glory.

A lot of times these older RV's have not been driven much, if at all. When a mechanical vehicle sits for a long period of time, seals dry out, fuel goes bad, fluids and oil gets acidic, etc. etc.

It sounds like there may be rust or contamination inside the fuel tank. You may need to remove the tank to have it cleaned out and replace the fuel filter again. Also sounds like the float was stuck in the carburetor, which will cause gas to overflow out the top.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #3

Unfortunantly dirt and crud in the gas tank can be a source of problems for this vintage of RV. Short of dropping the gas tanks, cleaning them out, and resealing them, you can only keep the gas filters cleaned out. It does mean stopping frequently and cleaning the gas filters. I use the clear gas filters with replacebale/cleanable elements so you can see their condition (available in the hot rod section of almost every auto supply)

Using one up by the carburator allows you to see if it is dirty and if gas is getting to the carburator. I have seen people replace filters every 100 miles do to dirty gas tanks.

Sometimes the sock on the end of the pickup tube in the gas tank gets clogged up not allowing gas to flow in the lines. The result is a clear filter at the carb that will not have gas visible in it.

The rubber lines used to connect the steel fuel lines to the the gas tank, connect to the tank sellect switch, and connect to the inlet side of the fuel pump can be become old and cracked. When this happens, the fuel pump is sucking air rather than gas. Again the result is a clear filter at the carb that will not have gas visible in it.

Other than a defective fuel pump, about the only other thing a "no gas to the carb" condition can be is either clogged steel fuel lines or a vaporlock condition (engine or exhaust pipe heat vaporizes the fuel in the line resulting in a clear filter at the carb that will not have gas visible in it).

If your Kings Highway is based on the GM P30 chassis with a 454 engine, then the gas tank is in the rear of the chassis. Many people add an electric fuel pump back by the gas tank to push the gas up to the mechanical fuel pump in order to overcome potential vaporlock problems. The tanks are up forward on a Dodge chassis and typically do not need the electrical fuel pump.

Sometimes a previous owner will replace the original veneted gas caps with unvented ones. As gas is used up in the tank, air has to replaced the void where the gas originally was. An unvented cap will not allow air back in the tank (you can hear air rush into the tank when you open the gas cap) and after a few dozen miles the fuel pump cannot pull a suction on the gas in the tank. Loosen caps to keep going but replace them if this is the case.

Take the time to check the entire fuel system as age has a way of creating frustrating problems with it. I replaced the plumping in my entire fuel system due to problems like these.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Old 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #4

Thank you everybody! My husband dropped and cleaned the reserve tank before and now we can use both tanks so the problem about dirty fuel should solve but the carburetor still have weird noise like tic tic tic ...and when we drive for awhile it sounds like someone is knocking very loud. The sound has a rhythm to it so we figured it had to do with ignition wiring so he checked all plugs, and wires. Replaced ignition coil and rotating brush inside distributer cap. But the noise is still there. Will go see mechanic on Monday .
Old 04-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck; I hope it works out for you.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #6

I think I give up I need to get to AZ in a week and I'm not sure if I can with this RV. I think about renting a truck but I don't know what do to with this Rv. It's too old for any place around here will buy or consign. . Already posted on Craigslist but no respond.. Any idea anyone ??
Old 04-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you figure out what the pop noise is?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #8

We're at the shop now. , still waiting for the result but I'm nervous I don't know this will be the last time fixing the Rv on the road. We fixed almost everything already though may be its just my luck:(
Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #9

We called the shop on friday the mechanic told us to come in on Monday so we stayed in town for couple more nights we came to the shop yesterday but he was busy so now we're here at the shop at 1 pm and he just start it. Ok while I'm typing this my husband just came to me and said there is a burn valve and probably expensive to fix. . So we have to give up on this thing we already spend $2000 on the road but still not sure what to do with it right now if you know anybody around this area wanna get this thing for cheap let me know I have to leave this town by tomorrow :( this is sad situation!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Some of your symptoms vs repair really do not quite add up. Carbs are very quiet when they run-they do not make "tic" or load thumps type noises.You have a Dodge 440
v8 engine with the 727 trany which are both very built proof The original carb was either a Holly or a Carter (now called edelbrock). If you replaced the carb before you cleaned out the gas tank/filter and gas line you may have put a lot of dirt into the new carb. You may have to take the carb off the engine-take of its top and spray it clean on the inside with a can of carb cleaner. Do not forget the gas line from the fuel pump to carb.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
The head on that engine is unique to the motorhome chassis. It has extra cooling water jackets around each spark plug and each valve seat to keep "pinging" to a min. You may have to much timing (that maybe your "tic" noise) and that may burn up a valve. You can fine a pair of heads to swap them in-exchange them for a rebuilt set. And it had harden valve seats so it was ok to run on unleaded gas.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #12

My husband said he wanna spend $1500 more to fix this Rv but I don't think so now we re arguing. I'm so frustrated. We're in the process of moving and stuck in this town for 4 days already I need to get rid of the Rv by tomorrow so I can head to AZ.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
PS how many miles are on it? And you may want to re take the front interior picture-the one you posted in your craigs list ad looks like a hurricane has gone through it (broken lamp/curtains) and that may put buyer off. Nice looking rig-how long is it?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2517466291.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	20116

Sorry for your troubles, I just attached a pic of it to aid in selling. Does it look like this?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Closed Thread