Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 12:29 AM   #1

I need help finding a carburetor

Hi everybody my name is seabone one I recently bought a 1979 Dodge Kings highway RV I'm having trouble finding a carburetor here in Los Angeles California for this vehicle does anybody know what kind of carburetor I need and where I can find one would be muchly greatly appreciated if you can point me in the right direction
Cebonewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 04:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebonewon View Post
Hi everybody my name is seabone one I recently bought a 1979 Dodge Kings highway RV I'm having trouble finding a carburetor here in Los Angeles California for this vehicle does anybody know what kind of carburetor I need and where I can find one would be muchly greatly appreciated if you can point me in the right direction
Several years ago, a friend with a BMW 2002 (also made in the 70's) had a 3-year running battle with CARB and the CA DMV because he got a replacement carburetor that wasn't OEM. Even though its emissions were within specifications, they didn't want to accept it. (He's a MechE and had little sense of humor about the large price differential.)

Unless the case is cracked or something, if CA is still being a stickler about engines from the 70's, it might be worth finding a rebuilder. If they're anywhere, they're in CA or the Carolinas.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:28 AM   #3

What carburetor do you need?

I see some Carter carbs. on EBAY but they are not cheap. Might be best if you rebuild your old one or check the web for carburetor rebuilders but first look for the model # and maker of carb. My guess its either a Carter or a Holley if its a Holley it has a LST# on top of the horn of the carb. not sure where the # is on the Carter carb. Its getting harder to get parts for 50 year old vehicles and if you can they want TOP DOLLAR.
jimjenturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:23 AM   #4

Take pictures of your carb along with engine size and take it to a carb shop in he LA area. There’s got to be at least one or six carb shops in all Of LA. They ought to be able to identify it and a. Rebuild it or b. Know what can replace it and where to get it.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:27 AM   #5
Commercial Member

tryaz salvage or colaws in missouri for a rebuilder.
azpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:28 AM   #6

Have you tried doing the rebuild yourself? Kits are pretty easy to come by and the rebuild itself is not that difficult if you are somewhat handy.

I rebuilt my first carb on my father's Oldsmobile when I was about 10 just using a Chilton's manual. Nowadays you've got countless videos on YouTube to help as well.

Here's just one of many places to start your search for the carb rebuild kit: https://www.carburetorfactory.com/kits_dodge.php
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:48 AM   #7
IC2

There are many carbs that will interchange but it will take some mods. While Rock Auto Parts may have the exact one needed, they will most likely be a remanufactured version. Most Chrysler products that I worked on of that vintage had a Carter though a few had a Holley. You do need the part number off either the original tag under a top cover screw or on the top casting.

I would probably be looking at a new Edelbrock or Holley rather then a reman and do the mod work needed to do the installation.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/

https://www.edelbrock.com/shop/carbu..._list_limit=30 (I like these better then Holleys as they are a super simple, Carter design)

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/carburetors/ ( Great carbs but can be finicky for best performance)

To adapt, you will need to (most likely) to move or midify the fuel inlet line, add or modify the transmission kick down linkage or cable and modify the throttle pedal linkage. All are fairly easy for someone that has a few tools and a DIY attitude.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:52 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I'm gonna guess its a Carter "Thermoquad". They were actually kinda difficult for most folks to rebuild. Had a black plastic center.
There is a number stamped on the back of the baseplate that you go by.
If you look up that # you could more than likely just get one online.
Pictures would help a lot.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:04 AM   #9

I'm with FusionKing the Apollo motorhome of the same vintage I had on a Dodge chassis had a thermoquad carburetor. Does it look like this:
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #10

Great help

Let me first start off by thinking each and every one of you that's given some input and insight into this matter second this is an update the carburetor was rebuilt already but it's too broken or at least too much that the gas goes into the spark plugs so they try to rebuild it twice it's a holly carburetor is just no good so I'm looking for a new rebuilt carburetor for the same engine that's where I'm having the trouble
Cebonewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #11

Summit Racing, get a fuel injection conversion kit.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #12

Holley carb on a 79 Dodge chassis , I'll have to assume your engine is a 440-3.
440-1 would have the T'quad.
Also assuming this is a Class A coach .
Last year the engine was used .Dodge had a huge overbuild of the chassis , and got in trouble with government for re-doing serial numbers and selling off the chassis as 1980's .

The big questions are; does the fuel system need to be original and is the chassis subject to emissions testing in CA. ?
Old 02-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #13
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebonewon View Post
Let me first start off by thinking each and every one of you that's given some input and insight into this matter second this is an update the carburetor was rebuilt already but it's too broken or at least too much that the gas goes into the spark plugs so they try to rebuild it twice it's a holly carburetor is just no good so I'm looking for a new rebuilt carburetor for the same engine that's where I'm having the trouble

If a Holley, 4 barrel look at the number stamped on the front of the air horn (where the choke is mounted). That will give you the current part number though maybe not the OE part number.

A Holley, if it's kinda gushing gas and fouling spark plugs, that usually means the power valve has failed. These easily fail via a back fire. There is an easy fix for this besides a new $12 power valve. Holley sells a check valve kit (~20) that you install after some minor drilling work with the supplied drill. Also, these occasionally have a float that sinks, usually the brass versions. They are relatively inexpensive too.

As Twinboat said, a fuel injection mod is nice but way too expensive as it is a LOT more complicated then unbolt a carb, bolt on a new one. You need a new intake manifold, EFI unit, a control system and a fuel tank mod for a high pressure pump along with a new gas return line. Cost wise is when all done $3K plus --- and why my '31 Ford street rod still has a carb
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
If a Holley, 4 barrel look at the number stamped on the front of the air horn (where the choke is mounted). That will give you the current part number though maybe not the OE part number.

A Holley, if it's kinda gushing gas and fouling spark plugs, that usually means the power valve has failed. These easily fail via a back fire. There is an easy fix for this besides a new $12 power valve. Holley sells a check valve kit (~20) that you install after some minor drilling work with the supplied drill. Also, these occasionally have a float that sinks, usually the brass versions. They are relatively inexpensive too.

As Twinboat said, a fuel injection mod is nice but way too expensive as it is a LOT more complicated then unbolt a carb, bolt on a new one. You need a new intake manifold, EFI unit, a control system and a fuel tank mod for a high pressure pump along with a new gas return line. Cost wise is when all done $3K plus --- and why my '31 Ford street rod still has a carb
You just said everything I wanted to say and more. With the part number he could just call Holley and ask about a direct replacement. They have improved a few things over the years. My 72 LT-1 Vette now has a new 670 Street Avenger carb.

I would also think that there should be a good carb overhaul outfit in SoCal.
Need to find out what Holley you have and get on the phone.

Tags
need help