RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #1

I need your help - 460 engine won't start

I have a 1984 Ford Carryall 26ft with 460 engine. It ran great yesterday then suddenly died. Now it won't start. Seems like it isn't getting gas. Is it the fuel filter? Fuel pump? Is the pump in fuel tanks or out? I am not super mechanically inclined. I need help.
JeffGraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #2

Are you sure it has fuel in the tank. When was the last time it ran prior to when it quit running. If you dump a bit of gas down the carb, and it starts, that narrows it down to a fuel problem.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:14 PM   #3

Verify that it is a fuel problem by spraying starting fluid into the intake. If it starts it is a fuel problem. Change fuel filter and see if it will run after changing.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #4

It ran awesome up until about 5 pm yesterday. I drove it from noon till then. It just died. I added fuel just in case, still nothing. I shot a bit of starting fluid and it started but died instantly. Just appears no gas is getting to carb.. Is a clogged fuel filter out of nowhere common?
Old 01-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #5

This time of the year it is common for fuel filters to freeze any water in the filter element and block the fuel flow.

If it is not the filter, and the fuel pump is not pumping fuel, the 460 Ford engine vans have a fuel valve that shuts the fuel pump off. It gets bumped, or a jolt of electricity from disconnecting and reconnecting the positive battery cable, an errant radio signal from a high powered CB, or from jump starting, the switch shuts down. Should be found under the right side kick panel. Reset instructions are in the owners manual.
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When you say it died does it turn over when you turn the key or does nothing happen? Do any dash lights come on when you turn the key? When you turn the key can you hear any clicking noises from under the hood? If so that would indicate a possible weak battery.

If it turns over easy it could either be a fuel problem or an ignition problem. If it doesn't turn over it could be one of several electrical problems. For it to die suddenly it doesn't sound like a fuel filter issue. Usually your engine won't run well if its not getting enough fuel and get gradually worse to the point it stalls. If memory serves me correctly the 460 had a mechanical fuel pump attached to the engine block.

Other than that is pretty hard to diagnose the problem over the internet. I think its time to find someone local who can have a look at it. Wish I could help you more.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #7

My parents had an 1988 class c with a 460 which was fuel injected .On their chassis there are 2 fuel pumps 1 in the tank that is a low pressure pump and 1 on the frame rail. I also have a 460 in my class a which only has 1 pump just beside the tank but mine is carb. Have you checked your oil sensor switch? I believe that if you don't have oil pressure the fuel pump will not work try jumping the switch. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #8

Thanks so much for the feedback every body. I reluctantly called a trustworthy local mechanic. He towed it into his shop about an hour ago. Hopefully he can resolve this problem without costing me a fortune. I'll let you all know what happens.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #9

Looking to see what the out come was, Did you find the problem?