Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #1

I was thinking....

I have to tear down the walls/roof etc in my 66. I can't reseal the roof till it warms up. But what I was wanting to do is rubber undercoat the inside of the aluminium of my 66. It will help me if a few ways.

It will water proof from the inside
I can apply on cooler days
It will make rain/hail less loud
buy me some time to work on my rig (let me work on it)

I was going to do it all, I will foam board still for insulation. Any reasons not to do this?
Funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you can get it to stick. What are you planning on for the rubber undercoat?

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

I'm with Ron, you're going to have a clean, prepped surface in order to get the undercoat to 'stick'. Check with a local paint store about what will work best to clean the inside surface. As well, there may be temperature restrictions about applying this. The aluminum will be as cold as your outside temp.....
Beyond that, I don't see any reason why you can't do what you're considering.
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
If you can get it to stick. What are you planning on for the rubber undercoat?

ronspradley
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
I'm with Ron, you're going to have a clean, prepped surface in order to get the undercoat to 'stick'. Check with a local paint store about what will work best to clean the inside surface. As well, there may be temperature restrictions about applying this. The aluminum will be as cold as your outside temp.....
Beyond that, I don't see any reason why you can't do what you're considering.
I was going to do the ceiling, the seams and the cabover area. I will look into the temp/application more closely. I have used it to line inner wheel wells and such on many a car. Never had any issues. But I will look and see now. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
That's exactly what we did years ago no our first motor home. It spent the winters near the beach in Florida and had many spots that had pin holes, I took down the ceiling and undercoated the underside of the roof. It worked and no more leak...
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
That's exactly what we did years ago no our first motor home. It spent the winters near the beach in Florida and had many spots that had pin holes, I took down the ceiling and undercoated the underside of the roof. It worked and no more leak...
AWESOME!!! That is what I love to hear. Any tips/ pictures from that project? Did you use a spray or roll on?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Sounds like a good idea.
If you're using just regular old automotive rubberized undercoating, don't worry about getting it to stick, that stuff will adhere to just about anything.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sorry no pics, that was twenty years ago. Phobos is right the undercoating sticks to anything rather you want it to or not... If I were doing it today I would go over the outside with Eternibond tape followed with Dicor sealer on top of using the undercoating on the inside. Forgot to say, I used the roll/brush on...
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Sorry no pics, that was twenty years ago. Phobos is right the undercoating sticks to anything rather you want it to or not... If I were doing it today I would go over the outside with Eternibond tape followed with Dicor sealer on top of using the undercoating on the inside. Forgot to say, I used the roll/brush on...
Thanks for the reply!