Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #1

Inside walls

I was wondering what you classic restorers are using for inside wall. I know the paneling they sell now days will not work and I would think even thin plywood is too heavy. So what's the best to use???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 08:04 PM   #2

Not an expert

Here is what we used when we fixed our water damaged HiLo. Tear down to the fiberglass or aluminum. Coat with 3M Bondo. Check out their web site. This seals up any pinpoint holes you can't even see. Next we used 1/8th paneling. Had to order in at a specialty lumber yard. Then sheets of foam insulation followed by 1/8th Georgia pacific paneling that comes with the wall paper on it. Ordered from ACE Hardware. These three items make a nice wall. DH used Heavy Duty Liquid Nails. Purchased at Walmart as this was the cheapest. Used a floor roller to firmly press the layers together. The HD liquid nails does not eat the foam insulation. Use one tube per 4x8 sheet in a generous s patern. In other words we copied the wall structure that was in there. Take out all you windows and reseal while you at doing repairs. You Tube has a video on how to do this. This is what caused the walls to rot out. Our repairs were done in 2012 and have held up very well with no leaks. Sorry a few typos. Some have used plain paneling that you can paint over. Best of luck with your repairs.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #3

I am in the process of repairing a few spots right now and used a 5/32 paneling next to the fiberglass outer shell then the foam insulation and an inner sheet of the 5/32 paneling. I glued it up with numerous clamps and loctite adhesive. I also milled down 100 year old white oak boards to have nailers and frame out the windows which I removed and had resealed while I was doing this. I also added new 1 1/2 inch foam insulation anywhere I did repairs. I don't recall the name of the paneling, but it was soy based from home depot and was reported to be more water resistant. In the window openings I used a self adhesive water proof flashing to keep any future leaks from running directly into the middle of the wall cavity. Then on the inside I used vinyl clad aluminum sheets from cladrex for the top of the wall, and bead board on the bottom. The window frames help hold the Cladrex in place but I also used spray on gorilla glue and a few will place screws or molding strips.
crb478 is online now   Reply With Quote