Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 06:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post

So Stanley, It has been almost a year since you switched to Poly Glow from the Zep. We are all wondering how your Poly Glow is holding up?
It is about a year since I applied the Poly Glow and mine looks great, but just to be safe I put a maintenance coat on the other day.
I had the better look with ZEP. I had spots that I could not get a good shine with the Poly Glow, I have now removed all and started over. Since I had bought two kits of the Poly Glow, I will use it again as far as it goes. May save a section for ZEP to get a comparison of the two products. Right now, I would choose ZEP over Poly Glow. Will report more later.
stanleysteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #44

Getting ready to do this on our our 1995 Damon challenger.
We have two minor de lamination spots.....drivers door and a passenger rear window.
The West Systems G-Flex has arrived, along with the Butyl tape and Sikaflex 221.
Will re-epoxy the delaminated spots, pull all the windows and retape, then the windows and all all seal/trim points will get sealed up with Sikaflex as a secondary barrier.
Then comes the scrub down with barkeeps friend and TSP. Will touch up the graphics and then planning on 5-6 thin coats of Zep wet look.
If your passing through central Illinois during the next two weeks lunch and drinks will be on us 😜.
Wish us luck....lol.
sjweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did the once year scrub down and recoat this past weekend. Coach is ready for a summer of travels. 11 years and 57,000 miles on the clock. Still need to clean the windows to make the coach sparkle.

For what its worth the red graphic is paint. Sherwin Williams Dimension Single Stage. No clear coat. Replaced sun stroked black decals. The other graphics are decals. Zep easily applied to both and holds up well.

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put Zep on ours after using de-oxidizer twice on it and had a great shine. That was two years ago.

Went to check on the MH (which is in storage here in MI). It is dusty but the shine appears same as the day I did it. I did five very thin coats with a white t-shirt. No bubbles, pits, or spots of problems.

As I said before, I live in extremes and the MH has sat outside in direct sunlight for some time at different CG's and still no issues. Unless I have a problem develop I will continue using the Zep.

People at CG's have asked if the rig is new due to the shine. Starts some interesting conversations. "What year is that, it looks new with that shine?" "It's a 2004 and I used Zep."

Wish you all luck with your shine!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:54 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
I put Zep on ours after using de-oxidizer twice on it and had a great shine. That was two years ago.

Went to check on the MH (which is in storage here in MI). It is dusty but the shine appears same as the day I did it. I did five very thin coats with a white t-shirt. No bubbles, pits, or spots of problems.

As I said before, I live in extremes and the MH has sat outside in direct sunlight for some time at different CG's and still no issues. Unless I have a problem develop I will continue using the Zep.

People at CG's have asked if the rig is new due to the shine. Starts some interesting conversations. "What year is that, it looks new with that shine?" "It's a 2004 and I used Zep."

Wish you all luck with your shine!
Bemisl what did you use for deoxizer? Thank you.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:12 AM   #48

My Zep is a year old now and has about 15K miles on it. It could use a wash and re-coat, but is still looks great. The Love Bugs down south are still a bear to get off even with the Zep, so I wonder if I can apply Rejex over the Zep?

RejeX

I read about it here on the forum and ordered it, but have not applied it yet.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OutDoorDan,

I used MacGuier's that I bought at Walmart. After the first de-oxidize coat, I had spots that were either worse than other spots or I had areas my arm failed to push as hard. Either way, it was better after the first time and I decided to do it a second time because I wanted it to really look good. It took 3 1/2 bottles to go around twice. I also bought the round blue polishing pads from Walmart to de-oxidize it.

It was so much better after the twice de-oxidizing that I was a bit surprised. Water wouldn't spot on it though so I decided to ZEP it after much research here on IRV2. I have found bugs come off it easier and it is easier to wash and dry. I take o brush on a pole to wash it and then I take a microfiber towel and put it on the end of the sponge mop and dry down the sides of the MH. I have had back surgery and getting up and down ladders is a bit of a task for me.

The sponge mop also works great to dry your windows. Just have extra clean microfiber towels around so you use a mostly dry one. It looks great when I am done. Have to get on the roof to wash it correctly, but I like it all clean. The sponge mop also works great inside the basements to wash the dust out of them and they are cheap at the dollar store.

I use Simple Green to wash the awnings. When I bought the rig the PO had put the awnings up wet and dirty and I couldn't find an awning cleaner that would take the stains off. Someone here suggested Simple Green full strength on the stains. So I pulled out the sponge mop and put the Simple Green on the awning full strength over the stains. Half an hour later they were gone Love the stuff and it smells great! Also use it on the wheel covers.

It takes a bit of work the first time you de-oxidize and Zep. Since then the cleaning has been much easier. You'll be happy with the look. Decals were much nicer looking, not as faded and the whole thing shines real pretty!

Best of luck with it. Lynne
Old 04-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Safe travels. If you are ever in Utah hit us up. Dan
Old 05-02-2018, 07:04 AM   #51

Well I started the process all over again on the new to me '04 Bounder. The rig had been partially re-painted at some time in it's life and although it looked decent, the fade and chalking was getting really bad on the nose and tail.

It came with a bra, so I decided to use black Plasti-Dip and paint it on the rest of the nose. I washed/scrubbed/washed the sides and have 3 coats on now and it's beginning to shine. Going to finish the sides today.

The tail needs some paint to cover up a bad blend job where rear was re-painted. Damaged a corner last week(mountain jumped in behind me while backing), so I repaired the fiberglass and Plasti-Dip'd both corners black. I think above the new paint area I can go ahead and Zep it.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #52

Do you use Bar Keepers Friend / Zep on the graphics or skip over them totally?

- with the prep work?

- with the Zep?

Thanks!
FlatsixV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After five years our decals are starting to show some yellowing I believe from the Zep. I got some Zep stripper and as soon as it warms up will strip just the decals and redo the with Zep.

BTW, It usually takes about five coats to get it looking really nice. Course they go on really quick. I use a spray bottle and a rag to spread it. Just don't let it run.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello,

After 3 years with the Zep on our rig she still shines. We spent 3 months in Florida this winter and it was in full sun and is still pretty good.

I will take off the ZEP over the decals and repaint them this summer. I will then Zep the rig again. We will spend 6 months in Yuma this winter and that will tell the tale.

Just like our rig looking good. Lynne
Old 05-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatsixV2 View Post
Do you use Bar Keepers Friend / Zep on the graphics or skip over them totally?

- with the prep work?

- with the Zep?

Thanks!
I use Barkeeper Friend over everything that Zep is going on. The Zep actually brings out the colors of the graphics, but you do have to pay attention when applying. If you don't have enough Zep on the microfiber cloth, it will streak and you have to get the correct angle on it to see streaks. When you find one, just apply more Zep in a long swipe.

Also, only apply Zep on the shaded side of the MH as the sun will dry it too quickly also causing streaks.

Pictures will be forthwith...........
Old 05-05-2018, 03:11 AM   #56