Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #1

Just bought our first RV 76 Dodge Cobra

and we have not a clue about it! engine runs great and all the parts are there
only has 66 K miles on it and is very sound. Sat in a pole shed for 17 years...so there are some things to work out. My hope is we can find a manual that can at least help us to know whats what ...planning a small shake down cruise soon!
any help would be appreciatedthanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New RV.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	557.3 KB
ID:	138470  
Loriahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #2

Congrats on a nice rig, and welcome to IRV2!

You'll find the community here is very willing to help you get to know your coach and help you solve any issues you may have. Ask away!
DeOrellana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Loriahl and Welcome to the Forum!

Don't worry too much about an "Owner's Manual" for the coach. They are nothing like an automotive manual and usually contain very generic information. Start finding the identification tags for all the appliances and systems, Furnace, fridge, water heater, etc. You should be able to find those service manuals online. This web site link below should get you started.

Service Documents and Manuals

Depending on what chassis you have under that coach (Dodge van) you can probably find an Owner's or Service chassis manual online too. Sitting for so many years can be very hard on ALL the systems but basically anything that has rubber components and/or that moves will probably need to be rebuilt or replaced. The brakes should be #1 on your list.

Best of Luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #4

I find some good info on U-Tube. I usually view more than one video just to be sure I am getting accurate info. Remember anyone can add a video and most are helpful..
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #5

I love those classics!
Old 09-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #6

Vintage RVs

Another very good website for you would be:Classic Winnebago and vintage RVs. I have 1971 Winnebago and it is the second best website for all of your RV needs. ......ken
kenautoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #7

Welcome!

As others have said don't worry over the owners manual. The one I received for my 1994 33' Class A Holiday Rambler is probably the most useless document I've ever read. Basically it said "So YOUR RV has a problem, better visit a mechanic so he can repair it." Pathetic!

Fortunately, though I'm a geologist I'm also a life-long DIY mechanic so I've been able to make the needed repairs without any help from Holiday Rambler, thank you!

Steve

PS I hate to say it but many of todays so-called mechanics no nothing about carburetors and if there's no port to hook a computer up to for a diagnosis they're lost!
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

Nice looking rig
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #9

Great rig. Easy to work on.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #10

Congrats on the find! That's an awesome looking rig. Like my user name indicates, I love the 70's! I've restored about 4 RV's from the 70's and I find it to be a lot of fun and relaxing. They aren't too complicated so they are relatively easy to work on. Good luck and keep us posted of your progress and journey!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Loriahl,

Congrats on the rig. Looks nice but please check your tires. If they are more than 7 yrs old they probably need replaced. Do a shake down camping in your driveway or a close to home CG (campground) so that if something goes off you can go home and get what you need.

There are a lot of videos as they said and they are all over but mostly YouTube, Great way to learn.

We took our Winnebago with a Ford engine to a Ford dealership and had some work done we were not comfortable doing. Had extra keys made since we got one with the rig. Had everything flushed, oil and filters changed, there were two, and the cruise control replaced. Two vacuum hoses replaced and then did a few things on our own.

Otherwise, using the appliances, learning do dump the tanks (black tank first and then grey to flush the hose), water pressure regulator valve and in line water filter and you are good to go. White water hose for your inline supply and take some tools along with you. If towing a care, that also can be used for taking things with you.

Enjoy your rig and visit often. LB
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #12

Thanks for the warm welcome

We appreciate all the great insights...Will keep you informed of our progress!😃 Happy to have found this site !!
Loriahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #13

For owners manual look first at the pink slip and see what the chassis is.

Next visit you local auto zone or other car parts place and check out the Haynes and Chilton books for the chassis.

If not specific yours looks like a van cab so the van chassis may be close enough.

Local library may have one too that you can check out to confirm which one is better as you crawl under to see if the book matches the unit.

Everything else as others posted are standard off the shelf stuff and Google is your friend.

Locate brand and model data then seek out manufacturer home pages and often soft copies are on their home page or use the contact us page and most will send you everything you need.

Ask for user or operators manual, installation manual and the service manual and yiu will get everything you should need.

Search u tube for videos, like others stated the factory manual may not be good, ours came with the factory manusl which was a typewritten sort of okay thing.

On u tube there are some videos of one like ours but a year earlier that was being converted to right side drive to go to Australia and the videos are the instruction manual showing how everything worked.

Great source!
Old 09-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #14

Wow! What a sweet find .. Congrats thanks for sharing. the best info is right here with fellow owners .
Longjohn541 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge