Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #1

Leaking Power Steering Gearbox

Hello, me again.

The power steering gearbox for my '73 Winnebago Indian is leaking. This coach was built on a '72 Dodge M400 chassis, and I'm really hoping someone has information on where to find a replacement box OR a reseal kit (or even individual seals). Its going thru a fair amount of power steering fluid . . .

I'm even hoping for just a Dodge part number, hopefully without having to pull the box until I have a replacement.

Part stores, including the NAPA Commercial Truck store () haven't even HEARD of an M400!

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #2

I think you can use the B300/MB300 as reference model. I would try and find a rebuilder though, might be cheaper. Or if your handy pull it apart and you should be able to match up the seals/bearings. Just a thought and good luck SNO
Old 07-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #3

Winnebago typically installed the current year rig (ie 73) on the previous year chassis (72). So, what year is your chassis? You have already said in another thread you are not sure if you have a 413 or 440. Need correct information to go forward with assistance and 73-75 era is the most confusing one of all for the Dodge MH. Best thing to do is simply post your Dodge VIN number to decode it.
413 (engine code N) was used in the M-375 chassis (69-72)
440 (engine code A) was used in the M300, M400 (also known as RM350 chassis [73-74]), and M500 (also known as the RM400 chassis [73-74])
In 75, Dodge retroactively (73-74) reassigned the RM350 to M400 and the RM400 to M500. However, some aftermarket parts suppliers did and some did not follow suite.

I do not expect the Van data to work for the Class A chassis in this area. MB Van used coil spring suspension where Class A MH used straight axle leaf spring suspension.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #4

Source for parts power steering box: SteerandGearHOME
Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Need correct information to go forward with assistance and 73-75 era is the most confusing one of all for the Dodge MH. Best thing to do is simply post your Dodge VIN number to decode it.
Here it is:
M49CN2J568352

Decoded:
Dodge M375, 1972 H-series, incomplete motorhome chassis, 10k-14k GVWR,
413-1 engine, Canadian built.

Steve
Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #6

Then do not use M400 as the identifier even though some VIN decoding sites imply that. It really is a M375 chassis. Makes a big difference when tracking down parts.
Best approach to chassis parts hunting is to obtain the dodge P/N from the Dodge 69-77 MH chassis parts book and then cross-ref to aftermarket P/N.
Hate to say it but M375 brake parts are always a real pain.

Dave

Tags
power, steering