Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Leaky 88 Winnebago Elandan

My new/old 88 Winnebago Elandan had a leak in the driver side rear corner, which is substanial enough to have caused severe damage to the corner cabinet, back wall and carpeting. I've removed all of the furniture, fixtures and carpet from the unit and am starting the rehab process. The vinyl covered paneling appears to be adhered to the foam insulation board which makes up the structure of the rear wall. Any insights into how to remove/ repair/replace the paneling without destroying the foam panel behind it? Of course I've repaired the leak on the roof so now it's time to redo the interior.
jayman729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman729 View Post
My new/old 88 Winnebago Elandan had a leak in the driver side rear corner, which is substanial enough to have caused severe damage to the corner cabinet, back wall and carpeting. I've removed all of the furniture, fixtures and carpet from the unit and am starting the rehab process. The vinyl covered paneling appears to be adhered to the foam insulation board which makes up the structure of the rear wall. Any insights into how to remove/ repair/replace the paneling without destroying the foam panel behind it? Of course I've repaired the leak on the roof so now it's time to redo the interior.
Jay,

The paneling is called luan which is part of your wall structure.
DO NOT try to take the vinyl off.
I would cover it with wood paneling and find the studs to attach it to.
If you saw a cross section of the thickness of your wall you would find a vacubond, from outside to inside of:
Exterior fiberglass.
Luan backing
Styrofoam.
Luan paneling
Vinyl covering
The key is to find studs to attach new paneling and cabinetry to.
My friend had a 89 Elandan 36' I believe and it was a fine RV.

Good Luck,

Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks Steve....Unfortunately it's too late for the vinyl/luan paneling on the rear wall from the corner to the rear window.... as I was removing the fifty-leven attaching screws from the ruined cabinet in the corner, a soaked section of the luan pulled away from the foam. It exposed a similarly soaked and rotted 1 x 4 stud that I will have to carefully extract and replace. The unit sat in a storage yard for several years and must have been leaking for quite awhile before yours truly acquired it. It appears that the rear wall is definitely a vacubond of which you spoke, however it is aluminum/foam/luan/vinyl. The elandan has a one piece fiberglass "cap" rear end which completely covers the rear wall structure and provides a storage area for the spare tire. I would love to have a set of "as built" prints for this thing to show internal wall structure....probably tough to get from Winnebago 23 years later!
Are there any supply houses that cater to older RV's and would have info/parts available?
Thanks!
jayman729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman729 View Post
Thanks Steve....Unfortunately it's too late for the vinyl/luan paneling on the rear wall from the corner to the rear window.... as I was removing the fifty-leven attaching screws from the ruined cabinet in the corner, a soaked section of the luan pulled away from the foam. It exposed a similarly soaked and rotted 1 x 4 stud that I will have to carefully extract and replace. The unit sat in a storage yard for several years and must have been leaking for quite awhile before yours truly acquired it. It appears that the rear wall is definitely a vacubond of which you spoke, however it is aluminum/foam/luan/vinyl. The elandan has a one piece fiberglass "cap" rear end which completely covers the rear wall structure and provides a storage area for the spare tire. I would love to have a set of "as built" prints for this thing to show internal wall structure....probably tough to get from Winnebago 23 years later!
Are there any supply houses that cater to older RV's and would have info/parts available?
Thanks!
Jay,

Yuck....Winnebago is your best bet; ask them who they recommend for used parts. The Winnebago club, on iRV2, should be full of help.

Good Hunting and have the time of your life,

Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #5

If Winnebago made it, this company has it. You might give them a call. I have ordered some parts for my Holiday Rambler from them (that were just like the Winne parts) and they were very friendly and helpful to talk to. If they can't give you a diagram, I'll bet they could tell you who to call.
Winnebago Parts - Parts for all Winnebago motorhome makes, models, and years, including Itasca, Rialta, Eurovan - Specializing in the Renault based Winnebago LeSharo, Phasar, and Centauri Motorhomes
Old 01-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #6

A lot of repair centers use a router to remove panneling or luan. They cut the pannel in 2 inch strips to remove without damage to the styrofoam. They set the router bit to the thickness of the pannel which is usually 3/16 or 1/4 inch. It takes longer but it works.

duncan1
duncan1 is offline   Reply With Quote