Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #43

I installed four and really like them. Another contributor to this thread, FrankGRUN I believe, installed two larger ones as his MH only has two headlights. He seems happy too. He did lots of research as well and, as I remember, tried several different types. We coincidentally and without collaboration arrived at the same conclusions.

I suggest you read the entire four pages of the thread, look at the Amazon reviews and make your own decision. So far, given the price point and performance I think I made a good choice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #44

Frank,

Really enjoyed the papers! There is a great article at bestheadlightbulbs.com for those who are maybe a bit less technically oriented than we.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #45

F4Jock, Glad you were able to get to them! Vision and what we perceive is such a complicated subject and so essential. I find it fascinating that science can provide a backstory!
FrankGRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #46

Frank, thank you for the link to the papers, great information. I’m glad to see that there is a clear standard developing around color temperature of different lighting sources. And the research in to peripheral enhancement is well... illuminating! I would like to see how/if this color shift to increase off-axis perception affects/degrades on-axis vision. Maybe there is an assumption that on-axis illumination is adequate regardless of light source or color, personally do not find this to be true… but maybe it’s just my aging eyes.

I hope we have not taken this thread to far off the OP intent, apologies for the tangent.

Gary
Old 05-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_talk View Post
Frank, thank you for the link to the papers, great information. I’m glad to see that there is a clear standard developing around color temperature of different lighting sources. And the research in to peripheral enhancement is well... illuminating! I would like to see how/if this color shift to increase off-axis perception affects/degrades on-axis vision. Maybe there is an assumption that on-axis illumination is adequate regardless of light source or color, personally do not find this to be true… but maybe it’s just my aging eyes.

I hope we have not taken this thread to far off the OP intent, apologies for the tangent.

Gary
Actually I actually I think it's been quite helpful. At my age I find the 5500 to 6000 Kelvin to be just about perfect in lighting up things down the road and on the shoulders. The Xenon projectors in my other three vehicles work very well but it would, as I have said before, be too much of a pain to retrofit them to the motorhome with sealed beams thus the LEDs. So far so good.

It is also interesting to note that the 2018 Lincoln line is offering LED projector adaptive headlights as, I believe, standard equipment.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_talk View Post

Gary
Some years ago, I participated in an experiment comparing "monochromatic" scene illumination for several wavelengths. Several of the wavelengths were generated by lasers and most were generated by a narrow band width monochrometer. As we moved from the red to the blue, the scene detail change was startling, but very difficult to quantify. Peripheral vision was almost more of a mental response. I could sense objects moving more and more strongly as the light frequency moved to shorter wavelengths, and I didn't perceive the side object or the motion near the red wavelengths.

On the other hand, detection forward just seemed to be a function of power! The more light sent forward, and the longer the illuminated range, the more discriminating I was to objects ahead. Complicated scenes were much more difficult to resolve. Anyway, the only point I wanted to make was that the enhanced peripheral vision response was very apparent in those experiments but the response was more than simply detecting with peripheral vision.

As far as this thread is concerned, I'd suggest that the 6000K to 6500K color temperature is very effective for night time driving and that one should go for the maximum output available. For older eyes more lumens can't be beat! Especially when coupled with a lens structure that is engineered to the emission characteristics of the LED source.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #49

Frank and Gary,

Could you look at these and offer your opinions on the specs? based upon reviews, including those by professional truckers, they seem to offer the level of technology that offers the best in current LED technology.

https://www.amazon.com/Approved-Proj...521295&sr=8-11

https://www.amazon.com/Headlights-Fr...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Please offer your insight and if they are both the same and provide the specs you were referring to?

Thank you!
Barrett-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett-FL View Post
Frank and Gary,

Could you look at these and offer your opinions on the specs? based upon reviews, including those by professional truckers, they seem to offer the level of technology that offers the best in current LED technology.

https://www.amazon.com/Approved-Proj...521295&sr=8-11

Please offer your insight and if they are both the same and provide the specs you were referring to?

Thank you!
The first two you posted are two, 5 in by 7 in. The second group of four are 4 in x 6 in. Do you need 4 headlights? If so the first two will not fit even if you buy four.
F4Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #51

My bad!

I have 4-headlamps in my coach. The other's are for my 95Jeep Wrangler that I'm considering as well.

I meant to ask for a comparison to these:

https://www.amazon.com/COWONE-Rectan...0G0H3F14Q2902A

to these:

Thank you!
Barrett-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #52

Quote:
My bad!

I have 4-headlamps in my coach. The other's are for my 95Jeep Wrangler that I'm considering as well.

to these:

Thank you!
Those look to be the same light just different bezel colors. My major concern would be the pattern of the low beam, one of the reviewers posted a picture of the low bean against a garage door and the cutoff looks ok. If they are truly DOT approved that is good, and may imply better overall quality. Not that the DOT regulates quality, but since they went to the effort to seek the approval they probably aren't the super low quality type.

The reviews look good, that's worth something.

Beyond that I'm not sure I'm qualified to offer an opinion, I don't have any direct experience with LED lights of this type.

But I will offer this, my motorhome has the same lighting arrangement as yours (four 4x6 sealed beams) and they do leave a lot to be desired. My biggest issue is voltage drop (headlight switch gets very hot), so a relay conversion will be the first step. After that, I'd be looking at a H4 conversion like this for a low dollar option...

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0031778...eam+conversion

Or a HID projector conversion if I wanted to spend more money.

Personally I'm not sold on LED yet, beyond some OEM applications I haven't seen the first hand evidence to be convinced. But, I haven't really been looking much.

Gary
Old 05-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #53

If the projector type are offered, I'd going that route....I put them in my old truck and you won't believe the difference
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #54

Quote:
My bad!

to these:

Thank you!
The second set is the exact set that I installed. The specifications seem very similar to the first set and the prices are pretty much equitable. I'm very happy with my set but I can't compare as I don't have the first ones
Old 05-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #55

My approach to answer your question would be to weigh the number of photons available for a given price level. In the two cases you have proposed for consideration, the second group has significantly more photons available (total lumens). Typically, lumens are a measured quantity. They can't simply be deduced from a LED manufacturer's performance specification, as the nature of the reflector and lens are critical to the photon density per unit area. Besides, I'm partial to the black!
Old 05-11-2018, 06:29 AM   #56

I have the same headlight configuration in my old pickup, 4x6 sealed beams, so I have been looking into this market as well. They may be pricey, but look at options at a big truck chrome shop, or the like. This is the same headlight set used in many Peterbuilts, KW’s, Frieghtshakers, etc. There are some really good options out there for 4x6 led replacements...projector and otherwise.

Tags
led